• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (NC)

Boogs34

Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5 x 49)
Cameroon Wrapper; DR filler; Indonesia binder
Smoked: Monday Night, March 26, 2007

On my last trip to NYC, my friend and I each picked up a Cohiba Red Dot Pequeno, and both surprisingly remarked to each other how much we enjoyed it. I had this Red Dot Robusto in my humidor, and felt that a lot of the Dominican counterparts of the popular Cuban name-brands generally are poorly regarded (sometimes, unfairly). I thought I would like this cigar and readied myself for a review, for a stick that is approximately $7, but the price ranges much higher at many places because of the name-recognition.

This cigar is very well constructed. The prelight and taste provides a pleasant spice and earthy note. I flip the cap and light it perfectly.

gallery_3822_154_11365.jpg

The first part of the cigar is somewhat bitter and metallic. I’m immediately disappointed, knowing that I did not have any issues lighting it. It burns evenly but the light grey ash is flaky and quickly falls before the first inch.

gallery_3822_154_9321.jpg

After the first 15 minutes the cigar the poor tastes disappear. It becomes more earthy, enjoyable and relaxing. The weight I was carrying after another Monday was getting lifted off my shoulders. The cigar continues to burn perfectly even and the ash no longer falls off. As I exhale through my nose, I note black cherry and light pepperiness flavors.

gallery_3822_154_17115.jpg

The cigar becomes a bit more robust towards the end, maintaining the cherry and pepper tastes. The draw and burn were great throughout the smoke. It was a medium bodied cigar with some complexity. I put it out with less than an inch to go.

gallery_3822_154_22525.jpg

I enjoyed this cigar. For the price you can get online, it’s comparable to other available $7 smokes. Yes, there are better cigars both below and around the price, but it does not change the fact that this is still a good cigar. Nothing really makes you go “Wow,” when you smoke it, but I would gladly smoke another, preferably with a thinner ring gauge.

I realize that most of my reviews I post are positive - I am preparing a negative review of a line, so stay tuned!

Very nice review. I also enjoyed one of these a few months back, but of course in Minnesota they cost well over $10.