• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba red dot XV 652

Wascal

Captive of the Dark Side
Got this stick out of Sam's pass. Have been wanting to try one, today was the day.

Great looking stick, dark wapper, solid feel, shaped like a torp but with a taper from foot to head.
Stick lit well with a very pleasing aroma. First couple of puffs brought a taste of coffee and chocolate. The hint of vanilia and a bit of citrus came in as I continued to puff. The coffee and chocolate stayed for the duration.
Had a bit of a burn problem with this stick, it became lopsided along where the bunch was folded. Guess this was unavoidable due to the crease in the bunch. Never something that never had to be corrected, just always 3/8 of a inch lower on that side.
For a cigar that is named Extra Vigoroso it was IMO on the mild side of medium. Nice flavors just not much strenght for the first half. About half way it became very harsh, and hot. Maybe this was because I was double puffing each puff trying to get some smoke out of it. As it got hotter and harsher I tossed the rest of it.
I really tried to like this cigar, but the more I tried the more it failed. Perhaps those that like a milder cigar would enjoy it. Then you wouldn't have to puff so hard it becomes hot and harsh. I for one won't be buying any.

I agree with you. smoked 2 652 XV's, one the draw was very tight and had to be poked, the other was fine. No burn problems with either.

I agree with the chocolate flavor/coffee flavor and plesent aroma :). The first one I had seemed like a real powerhouse, maybe it was because I was a newer smoked.

But I would agree with my 2nd one it was a medium smoke.

Try the Robusto, it packs a little more punch.

Thanks for the review - I have been wanting to try one of these as well but after reading your review will wait till I come across one in a trade or something, versus going out and spending my money on it. :thumbs:

Sam

I really enjoy the Cohiba XV stuff. I usually go for the 749's, but I have had several 652's. I too like the chocolatey aroma, but haven't had the draw problems cited here.

Just had a Churchill XV a couple of days ago. I agree with the "chocolate theme". Waiting to try it out with a 1066 (beer, not HdM). Nice but for some reason didn't last as long as some others I've smoked. A friend was trying out a Padron Cabinet. His smoke lasted about 2x mine! Gotta try that.

As far as the XV's, it really didn't "do it" for me. I'll stick with regular Cohiba Red Dots for now.