• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Siglo VI SLB differences...

Tapewormboy

Reaction score
I recently picked up 2 SLBs of Cohiba Siglo VIs from two different sources. 1 is very reputable, and the other I also believe to be a good source (just less popular so I hear about them less).

The box codes are POS ENE 06 and ROA JUL 06.

The problem is that the stamp/brand on top and sides do not exactly match each other (Cohiba head and text).

Below are the pictures.

LEFT: POS ENE 06
RIGHT: ROA JUL 06

Notice that the head and COHIBA is larger on the left. The boxes themselves are exactly the same size:
w75372100.jpg

Slight difference with the SIGLO VI stamp:
w75372128.jpg

Spacing between Habana, Cuba and COHIBA are different:
w75372193.jpg

Habanos stamps on the bottom differ (both are branded so that you can feel the indentations):
w75372158.jpg

Cedar sheet shows the same brand that is on the exterior of the respective SLBs, with the size difference:
w75372218.jpg

Sticks themselves look good (triple caps, bands look decent, etc).
w75372252.jpg

My question: Are either or both of these SLBs authentic? Are the differences in the stamps/brands not significant? Has anyone else ever seen these differences? Is this just another example of differences/inconsistencies from Cuban factories?

There was talk of revised SLBs for some of the Cohiba line, but I didn't think that the Siglo VI was one that was effected.

Would be nice to hear some input from people that have Siglo VI SLBs or experience with manufacturing differences.

Thanks!

Inconsistency, no. Possible that things have changed? Yes... but the box on the right seems to have a few things wrong with it, at least relative to the Cohiba boxes I've seen.

One of my vendors sent out a letter back in November noting that there was a design change in Cohiba packaging. That could be the change. Not many of us have two of those boxes full and side by side to look at.

One of my vendors sent out a letter back in November noting that there was a design change in Cohiba packaging. That could be the change. Not many of us have two of those boxes full and side by side to look at.

Certainly could be, though that second box purports to be from July. I'm not sure when the packaging change took place, or what boxes were affected.

No way! two guys asking the same questions !

Definitely big brother! ???

Brian

LOL!

I must admit, the timing with my post and the Esplendido post are very coincidental.

If anyone else has pictures of Cohiba Siglov VI SLBs or opinions on my boxes, I would very much appreciate it.

No way! two guys asking the same questions !

Definitely big brother! ???

Brian

I uploaded some more pictures to help determine if these are indeed the real deal. These are from the RIGHT BOX, which is the one I'm questioning.

w75567204.jpg

w75567261.jpg

w75567321.jpg

Good morning tapewormboy........Seems we dont have alot alot of opinions here.....Well I'll give you my assessment.........I can tell you with 99% accuracy that the cigars shown are of Cuban origin.........Now having said that I did not say they were Cohiba........The stamp changes on this box are unconfirmed.....The box construction is good, cigars bands look ok and Cigars themselves look good too.......My guess is that these are in fact Cohibas......It is posible that a wrong stamp was used here and got by Quality Control..........Maybe a smaller cohiba stamp intented for one of the other size boxes was used by mistake.......You can never rule these types of things out when it comes to the Cubans.........Believe me I have seen everything...........Once again I'll say this....If you are familiar with the cohiba flavor/profile then you will know just by smoking one....If not you will need to have one tasted by somone who does........Hope this helps.........

Bob

I've actually dissected smokes from questionable boxes. Cut one from each for a comparision....AFTER you smoke one from each. :D

I guess the outstanding question is if anyone has a box from July of Cohibas from the Siglo line...

They look pretty authentic, at least of Cuban origin like Bob said, and if it's from someone reliable, I would just smoke it and enjoy.

I appreciate all the help that's been given about these box differences.

Both sources are legit after talking with a few members.

I will contact the source and see what has been changed about the Cohiba boxes.

Next step is to smoke one.

If anyone has recent Cohiba boxes they could post pictures of, that would be great!!!

Good morning tapewormboy........Seems we dont have alot alot of opinions here.....Well I'll give you my assessment.........I can tell you with 99% accuracy that the cigars shown are of Cuban origin.........Now having said that I did not say they were Cohiba........The stamp changes on this box are unconfirmed.....The box construction is good, cigars bands look ok and Cigars themselves look good too.......My guess is that these are in fact Cohibas......It is posible that a wrong stamp was used here and got by Quality Control..........Maybe a smaller cohiba stamp intented for one of the other size boxes was used by mistake.......You can never rule these types of things out when it comes to the Cubans.........Believe me I have seen everything...........Once again I'll say this....If you are familiar with the cohiba flavor/profile then you will know just by smoking one....If not you will need to have one tasted by somone who does........Hope this helps.........

Bob

It definatly appears that the smaller stamp used on either the siglo 1 box or the side stamp of the siglo 6 box was used incorrectly on the box lid in question.........As far as I know, No changes to the siglo 6 box have been made...

Bob

Just finished smoking one of the Siglo VIs from the box on the RIGHT.

Very typical Cohiba flavors, grassy and vanilla. Some spice notes. IMO, the flavor is actually better in the RIGHT box than the LEFT box. Examined the nub and found nice full leaves (what was left of them). No garbage filler. Burn characteristics of tonight's stick were also better in the RIGHT box than the two from the LEFT box (previously smoked). The LEFT box does, however, have darker and more oily wrappers. But the two I smoked from the LEFT box had some burn problems; staying lit and tunneling. Reminiscent of my Tatuaje problems.

I'm no expert with Cuban cigars, but I'd have to say with fairly good certainty that both boxes are legitimate Cohiba.
Cuba: 1, Consistency: 0 :whistling:

Thank you everyone for all the feedback regarding this topic and to those that spoke with me over PM.

I also emailed the vendor that I purchased the RIGHT box from:
Dear Mr. Vendor,
I was looking over the Cohiba SLB and noticed that it had some differences from previous Siglo VI SLBs that I have. In particular, the sizes of the brands on the exterior are different. I've attached two pictures showing two SLBs side by side. Each is from 2006, but from different factories.

Left: POS ENE 06
Right: ROA JUL 06

There was some information/rumor that Cohiba had changed some of the SLBs in line (Siglo and Robusto) to make them uniform. But I have neither heard or seen these changes for myself so I don't know exactly what could have been done.

I was wondering if you had any knowledge on this matter? Did Cohiba change any of its packaging in 2006? Is it normal for there to be variations such as these between different factories?

Any information you can provide would be helpful!

Sincerely,
Tapewormboy

And got this response:
Dear Tapewormboy,

We have not heard anything about making boxes more uniform. We have; however, seen differences in size of brands and even varnishing on boxes. Cuba makes these boxes so there are some inconsistencies but these type are normal.

Enjoy and all the best,
Mr. Vendor

Bob

It definatly appears that the smaller stamp used on either the siglo 1 box or the side stamp of the siglo 6 box was used incorrectly on the box lid in question.........As far as I know, No changes to the siglo 6 box have been made...

Bob

Thanks Bob ...... :thumbs:

and thanks for the pics TWB, this thread was quite informative and a great example of what kind of inconsistancies can be expected from the island.

:cool: