• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba

mlg270

Im new to the whole cigar world and this might be a dumb questions but... here it goes. I was wondering what is the differnce between a cohiba, and a cohiba with a red dot in the "o"? Thanks

I have never tried the red dot. They are made in the DR i beleive. ISOM Cohiba are made in Cuba, and do not have the red dot.

there's also a cohiba dominican without the redot.<---not too good IMHO

I have had the red dot, too much money...there are others non-isom smoke that is not only reasonable but also a far better smoke....again IMHO

you may want to consider:

hemingways
padron aniversario maduros
ashton vsg
avo domaine
montecristo platinum (i know people have other opinion on this but my experience with the no.2 and robustos were fabulous. i have a few sticks in my humi that i am intentionally letting rest for a year)

Four different Cohiba's:

DR Cohiba's (yellow and black band - looks like the Cuban Cohiba)... VERY cheap, ok smoke - nothing to write home about - I've had worse... Although I did see these selling for $10 each at a bar recently - they must have been drunk when they priced them...

Cohiba Red Dot - A Dominican cigar - MUCH better than the Yellow and Black label DR Cohiba. Expensive, but the quality is definitely there. IMHO, there are better cigars for less money, but the Cohiba Red Dot is a good cigar.

Cohiba XV - a bit cheaper than the Cohiba Red Dot - also made in the DR. One of my personal NC favorites...

Cuban Cohiba - a very nice cigar, but amongst the most expensive Cuban cigars. This is the flagship of the Cuban cigar industry - triple fermented (the only Cuban cigar that is triple fermented). But - the most counterfeited cigar in the world. Chances are pretty good if you smoke one, it's a fake... You gotta be very careful on sources with this one...

The Cohiba Red Dot is a Dominican made cigar by General Cigar, maker's of Macanudo, Partagas, El Rey Del Mundo, La Gloria Cubana, Punch, Sancho Panza, Hoyo De Monterey, Don Tomas etc., etc. The Cohiba name was taken and used without permission from the Cuban government ( producer of the true Cohiba). The Cuban Government sued General and won in it's first case in 2004, General appealed and took it's case to a higher court in 2005 and won. Allowing them to continue to produce the cigar. The Cuban Government is appealing this to a higher court. There is also a dog rocket going by the name Dominican Cohiba Yellow band. So there are three Cohibas on the market. The real one being the Cuban Cohiba. Don't waste your time on anything other than than the isom.

puffstuff said:
The Cohiba Red Dot is a Dominican made cigar by General Cigar, maker's of Macanudo, Partagas, El Rey Del Mundo, La Gloria Cubana, Punch, Sancho Panza, Hoyo De Monterey, Don Tomas etc., etc. The Cohiba name was taken and used without permission from the Cuban government ( producer of the true Cohiba). The Cuban Government sued General and won in it's first case in 2004, General appealed and took it's case to a higher court in 2005 and won. Allowing them to continue to produce the cigar. The Cuban Government is appealing this to a higher court. There is also a dog rocket going by the name Dominican Cohiba Yellow band. So there are three Cohibas on the market. The real one being the Cuban Cohiba. Don't waste your time on anything other than than the isom.
[snapback]282236[/snapback]​

I believe the case between Cuba and General Cigar is over - and General Cigar retains the rights to the name outside of Cuba. No more appeals, as I understood it from a General Cigar rep. Smoke 'em all you want - they'll make more... :D