• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

College Ball 9/20/08

StinkiMonki

Cimb in the back with your head in the clouds and
There are some great games on today in the world of College Football!

1. Alabama at Arkansas. The Tide are 9 point favorites on the road this week. Considering the hisotry between these two programs I think that's a bit too many points. Certainly the Tide is on a roll lately, but this Razorback team isn't just going to sit there and let them hog tie them to the goal post. I'd pick Bama to win, but I'd take the points and put my money on the Razorbacks.

2. Arizona at UCLA. My hatred for the Bruins aside, the Wildcats are 3 point favorites for the game in Pasadena. I think Arizona is much better then that and should show some explosiveness on offense considering the lack of quality starters on the Bruin defense. Take the Bosworth boys away, and you have a pretty good prep team. Considering the 1000 points UCLA gave up last week to a pretty darn good BYU team, I would put my money on Arizona to cover this one easily.

3. LSU at Auburn. The best ranked match up of the week. LSU is favored on the road by 2.5 points. I wouldn't expect any last second touchdown passes this year from the Purple Tigers. Even with an injured Lester either limping or missing from the Auburn backfield, I am putting my money on them to not only cover the spread, but win outright. This is one of the two games I am dying to watch today.

4. Florida at Tennessee. Rocky Top just plain stinks. I find it strange that the odds makers are only give the Gators 7.5 points. This Volunteer team is the same team that lost to a miserable UCLA team just two weeks ago; a UCLA team that was destroyed by a Mountain West school 7 days ago. I expect Florida to pounce all over a suspect offense and continue their march for the SEC title in grand fashion. "Good old Rocky Top, second in the SEC" needs some tweaking. More like "5th in the SEC" this year.

5. Wake Forest at Florida State. Floridat State is giving 4.5 points for a home game. I don't strong feelings on this game at all. Both teams are mistake prone and a bit lack luster on offense. Whichever team can keep their defense off the field the longest should come up with a victory. I'm not saying their offenses will score alot, but at least their defenses won't lose the game from the bench. I have no idea on which team to bet and I use my money to buy a hot dog and a beer. You can't go wrong there.

6. Notre Dame at Michigan State. 8.5 points is pretty generous for the Spartans. This could be a tough one to call. The Spartans are damn tough on both sides of the ball. Notre Dame created 7 fumbles last week against a struggling Wolverine team. The Irish Goldilocks showed some pretty good throws last week. I'm picking the Fighting Irish to at least cover on this one. Michigan State may win, but that's a bunch of points from a mediocre Big-10 program to pass out.

7. Georgia at Arizona State. Georgia is a 7 point favorite out here in the desert. Both of these schools are coming off horrible games last week. The Sun Devils lost in OT to UNLV and the Bulldogs were one fumble away from losing to the Cocks. This could be a huge upset for Georgia. A win against the Bulldogs catapults Arizona State in a pretty tough run for Pac-10 victory. The upcoming schedule for the Sun Devils includes Cal, USC, and Oregon. A victory may just give them enough confidence to win at least 2 of those 3. As for Georgia, a loss here and their season is done. A #2 team from the SEC can't return to the BCS with a nail-bitter victory against South Carolina and a loss to a Pac-10 team that isn't the Trojans. I'm picking Georgia to win, just not to cover.

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about my picks. I'll revisit tomorrow to see how many I got right.

Stinki

Edit: Correction on Mich St. Big-10 not Big-12. I have Oklahoma on my mind.
Edit2: Changed :01 to "last second" in Auburn game. Damn smiles took over my keyboard! ":01" automatically put in a emoticon.

Thanks for the list of games. I was just wondering if there were any good one's today.

I like Wake Forest and Notre Dame. Otherwise I concur with your assessment.

I agree with your assessments (although I took LSU) except for the fact that Michigan State is a Big Televen team.

Whopper--here's a great resource I use during football and college basketball season. It's just a little website that some guy puts together, but he's got every televised game organized by date, time, and channel(s) as well as links to regional blackout info. It's perfect for wading through today's 10,000 channel lineups.

http://mattsarz44017.tripod.com/

I agree with your assessments (although I took LSU) except for the fact that Michigan State is a Big Televen team.

Whopper--here's a great resource I use during football and college basketball season. It's just a little website that some guy puts together, but he's got every televised game organized by date, time, and channel(s) as well as links to regional blackout info. It's perfect for wading through today's 10,000 channel lineups.

http://mattsarz44017.tripod.com/
Thanks for catching that Green. I've made the correction.

1. Alabama at Arkansas. The Tide are 9 point favorites on the road this week. Considering the hisotry between these two programs I think that's a bit too many points. Certainly the Tide is on a roll lately, but this Razorback team isn't just going to sit there and let them hog tie them to the goal post. I'd pick Bama to win, but I'd take the points and put my money on the Razorbacks.

I hope you didn't make that bet. 35-7 Tide at halftime. OUCH! Maybe Alabama is "all that" after all.

i like most of the picks. I do not knw about taking Auburn...LSU has a great D and can run the ball well too.

I like the Tigers here and I would take the under too.

Your being to kind to ND...their run defense has not been tested and MSU is going to run it right at them. I like the points for ND but I am concerned about getting the win.

Georgia should win big but this is their first out of the south game in about 50 years i think...you never know. ASU has a good O but lackluster D, if Georgia runs it well they will win and cover

***Ahem***

ROLLLLLL TIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Auburn LSU...It's the SWAMP Tigers all the way...Auburn doesn't stand a chance...in my "unbiased" auburn hating opinion :)

And for the Florida/Tenn match up...I am a Gator Girl through and through once you get past Bama...and as or ritght now? 20-ZIP Take that Fat Phil...(was that bad??)

Melly :thumbs:

ND is just bad - 10 yards rushing...unacceptible.

they played awful...play calling was worse...my beagle was calling the plays before they ran them...not much imagination for an "offensive genius"

ringer is a great back but i did like how ND's defense played.

US at least has the lead in the Ryder Cup - for now.

College Re-Cap!

Well I was right to pick Bama to win, but I was certainly wrong on the points. I really thought this score would be much closer. I guess McFadden and Nutt really were the core of the group.

2. Arizona at UCLA. My hatred for the Bruins aside, the Wildcats are 3 point favorites for the game in Pasadena. I think Arizona is much better then that and should show some explosiveness on offense considering the lack of quality starters on the Bruin defense. Take the Bosworth boys away, and you have a pretty good prep team. Considering the 1000 points UCLA gave up last week to a pretty darn good BYU team, I would put my money on Arizona to cover this one easily.

I was right on both ends of this buzz kill. UCLA didn't even get their TD on offense. Go figure.

3. LSU at Auburn. The best ranked match up of the week. LSU is favored on the road by 2.5 points. I wouldn't expect any last second touchdown passes this year from the Purple Tigers. Even with an injured Lester either limping or missing from the Auburn backfield, I am putting my money on them to not only cover the spread, but win outright. This is one of the two games I am dying to watch today.

I was wrong on this one. I bet that Auburn punter is looking for a trian to Canada right about now. Damn this was a great game. I can't beleive the job the freshman QB did for Auburn. Simply amazing.

4. Florida at Tennessee. Rocky Top just plain stinks. I find it strange that the odds makers are only give the Gators 7.5 points. This Volunteer team is the same team that lost to a miserable UCLA team just two weeks ago; a UCLA team that was destroyed by a Mountain West school 7 days ago. I expect Florida to pounce all over a suspect offense and continue their march for the SEC title in grand fashion. "Good old Rocky Top, second in the SEC" needs some tweaking. More like "5th in the SEC" this year.

I was right about this one. What a year for Fulmer. Perhaps this is his swan song.

5. Wake Forest at Florida State. Floridat State is giving 4.5 points for a home game. I don't strong feelings on this game at all. Both teams are mistake prone and a bit lack luster on offense. Whichever team can keep their defense off the field the longest should come up with a victory. I'm not saying their offenses will score alot, but at least their defenses won't lose the game from the bench. I have no idea on which team to bet and I use my money to buy a hot dog and a beer. You can't go wrong there.

God Florida State is bad. They are just a shadow of what they once were.

6. Notre Dame at Michigan State. 8.5 points is pretty generous for the Spartans. This could be a tough one to call. The Spartans are damn tough on both sides of the ball. Notre Dame created 7 fumbles last week against a struggling Wolverine team. The Irish Goldilocks showed some pretty good throws last week. I'm picking the Fighting Irish to at least cover on this one. Michigan State may win, but that's a bunch of points from a mediocre Big-10 program to pass out.

I was dead wrong on this one. Not only did I think ND could win, I thought there was no way for the Spartans to cover. Ouch.

7. Georgia at Arizona State. Georgia is a 7 point favorite out here in the desert. Both of these schools are coming off horrible games last week. The Sun Devils lost in OT to UNLV and the Bulldogs were one fumble away from losing to the Cocks. This could be a huge upset for Georgia. A win against the Bulldogs catapults Arizona State in a pretty tough run for Pac-10 victory. The upcoming schedule for the Sun Devils includes Cal, USC, and Oregon. A victory may just give them enough confidence to win at least 2 of those 3. As for Georgia, a loss here and their season is done. A #2 team from the SEC can't return to the BCS with a nail-bitter victory against South Carolina and a loss to a Pac-10 team that isn't the Trojans. I'm picking Georgia to win, just not to cover.

I was right on the win again, but would have lost $$$ on the points. Georgia looked pretty dang good last night. The score doesn't show it, but I like Arizona State also. This was a pretty good matchup to watch. I figure that any time a team can still be within 2 possessions at the end of the 3rd quarter against a Top 5 team there has to be some fireworks.

Anyone want to predict who I picking this Thursday?