• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

College Football 10/11/08

StinkiMonki

Cimb in the back with your head in the clouds and
This Saturday has some great matchups on the schedule.

1. Texas vs. OU The Red River Shootout is set to be a fantastic matchup. All of the injured impact OU players are expected to be in the lineup. I guess we will see how that develops as the week goes on. Regardless of who you like, it's going to be a battle of 2 top 5 teams. I'm predicting OU to pounce on the Longhorns. However, it will be the first test the Sooners have had all year. Considering how good OSU looks, this will be the first of 2 major rivalry games for the Sooners.

2. Arizona St vs. USC. The only reason this game could be interesting is that both teams have injured QBs. Sanchez looks like he's going to start, but Carpentar is most likely out. It would be something to see backups get all the snaps in the Pac-10 game.

3. Notre Dame vs. North Carolina. Rarely do we see the Tarheels ranked on the football field. It would do them well to beat the Irish on television. If Notre Dame wins, expect them to crack into the rankings for next week.

4. Tennessee at Georgia. I'm not sure why I mentioned this game. This is the same Volunteer team that lost to UCLA in week 1. This could be Fulmer's last trip down to Georgia as the head coach. I'm sure the men in orange will play like this game is their championship. Gotta be careful in the SEC. If Georgia looks past this one they could very well get smacked in the head. Granted, a million things would have to go right for the Volunteers, but anything could happen.

5. Nebraska vs. Texas Tech. This could be the one for the Red Raiders. I'm still not convinced they can handle the size of NB defense. Pelini has his boys working hard and I expect them to rebound from last weeks runaway loss to Mizz. However, if TT pulls this one off, expect them to move up the rankings. There has to be a shake-up at #1 or #5 and that game will be in the books before this one kicks off.

6. Vanderbilt at Mississippi State. Go Vandy! The mock BCS predictions (Out Oct. 19) actually have Vandy at #8. That's one behind USC and Florida isn't even in the top 10. Once Vandy loses a game, expect them to dissappear again.

7. Oklahoma State vs. Mizz. I expect the Cowboys and Pistol Pete to shoot down Chase Daniels this week. This would be a big upset for Mizz. But don't let OSU fool you. They have speed, speed, speed. Mizz fans should be very happy that this game isn't in Stillwater. Imagine the shake-up if both OU, LSU and Mizz lost this week. That would obviously open the door for USC and Florida, but right there in that pile up is none other then the OSU Buckeyes! Those of us rooting for 1-loss powerhouses will certainly be rooting for OSU. I'm kinda ignoring Mizz in this post, but OSU could actually finesse their way into the top 5 without Barry Sanders or Thurman Thomas. Their schedule still has #5 Texas, #7 Texas Tech, and current #1 OU. That's a whole lotta orange ten-gallon hats singing "Ride Em Cowboys" in the stands come New Years Day. Oh yeah, it's not even televised. That SUCKS! This one could really use some more cow bell.

8. LSU at Florida. Loser goes home and starts recruiting for next year. If LSU looses, I have absolutely no idea how to rank the SEC teams. That's the blessing and the curse of such a strong conference. USC loses to Beavers is simple. LSU loses to the Gators? Not so easy. It's the 7th week of the season and it's going to be much more difficult for late season 1-loss teams to make it back. Gators at home is a damn good advantage. That memo wasn't received by Ole Miss, but it's a universal fact. The Swamp is just plain dirty. Good luck Tigers, you are going to need it. Still got that freshman starting at QB? Perhaps it's time he sit and watch.

9. Penn St vs. Wisconson. What the hell happened to the Badgers? If they have anything left at all it better show up this Saturday. If Wisconson can't do it, god help us. I'll be rooting for the Buckeyes to bring them down in a couple of weeks. That won't be a fun day for me. I don't think I've ever rooted for the Buckeyes. Of course Michigan could pull off some kind of miracle next week, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If Penn State makes it past the Badgers, expect them to stomp the Wolverines. The 10/25 matchup with OSU at the Shoe will be the last great hurdle for the Lions. If they make it to the BCS this year would Paterno retire?

10. Louisiana Tech vs. Hawaii. This game is perfect since it actually starts at 12:05 AM EST. Good god! Those of you on the East Coast could pull an all-nighter and wake up to the NFL. Me? I get to watch OU vs. Texas at 9:00 in the morning and finish the day with a 9:05 PM start time for the Warriors. I don't think I will need to leave the couch all day.

My pick for the MUST SEE GAME OF THE WEEK THAT COULD FLIP EVERYTHING ON IT'S HEAD IS: Oklahoma St vs. Mizz. Too bad you have to have a ticket to see the game. Grrrrrr!

God I love college football.

Stinki

I'll take a serving of #9. Can't wait for this game. Finally we can prove that we belong in the top 5.(Crossing fingers.)
I love this time of the year. Great football and playoff baseball.
Have a great week everyone.

Good games indeed. And who is going to be at the best one??? MEEEE. Florida vs. LSU game baby I'm goin to the swamp. Leaving on Thursday and can't wait.

We Gator fans have no control at this point. We looked like garbage against ole miss and we couldnt connect a pass against arkansas. We need to beat LSU to have a chance at the SEC title game. I think it's going to be a hard game unless Dan Mullen has been holding something back in our passing game. All I can do is hope that Penn St. loses in the next couple of matchups and that the Big 12 beats themselves up. I doubt a 1 loss USC team gets in above a 1 loss SEC champion unless they blow out their opponent in every remaining game.

However, my best bet is that Florida goes to the SEC Championship and a 1 loss Bama team comes in and lays the wood to us. Bama goes to the Nat. Champ. against OU and torches them bad. I sure wish I hadn't already bought 6 50 yardline tickets to the BCS Championship - I jinxed them.

Great ending to the Wake Forest game last night. I can't wait until tomorrow. An entire day of great games.

Stinki

Indeed, very good game last night. I'm travelling from San Diego to Gainesville tomorrow for the LSU/Florida game...should be a good one. 12 hours of tailgating, a few smokes and watching football followed by a Gators home game - it's going to be a great day :cool:

Game 1 prediction wrong. Longhorns upset OU!

SC shut out AZ St but they had 5 turnover and looked real flat in the 3rd. Not the greatest victory but it's a win.

Texas Tech barely held off Nebraska. This might actually allow a team to leap frog them in the standings.

North Carolina beat Notre Dame. Wow! Nobody really left to test the Tarheels the rest of the way.

I'm getting ready to watch Ok St take on Mizzu and LSU at Florida. Of course I'll be checking the Badger score also.

SC shut out AZ St but they had 5 turnover and looked real flat in the 3rd. Not the greatest victory but it's a win.

Texas Tech barely held off Nebraska. This might actually allow a team to leap frog them in the standings.

North Carolina beat Notre Dame. Wow! Nobody really left to test the Tarheels the rest of the way.

I'm getting ready to watch Ok St take on Mizzu and LSU at Florida. Of course I'll be checking the Badger score also.
You mean the Lions. :whistling:

We just man handled Wisconsin. Bring on the Wolverines and there kicker. ;)

This Saturday has some great matchups on the schedule.

1. Texas vs. OU The Red River Shootout is set to be a fantastic matchup. All of the injured impact OU players are expected to be in the lineup. I guess we will see how that develops as the week goes on. Regardless of who you like, it's going to be a battle of 2 top 5 teams. I'm predicting OU to pounce on the Longhorns. However, it will be the first test the Sooners have had all year. Considering how good OSU looks, this will be the first of 2 major rivalry games for the Sooners.

Ah hahahahahahahahaha!!! :laugh:

GREAT game, though. What a ride!

~Boar

Well it looks like LSU took quite a stomping in the swamp. After LSU scored their 2nd TD I really thought the Gators were in trouble. Oh well. I missed most of this game because I was watching the Cowboys play Mizzou. That was one of the best games of the day. I was on the couch for the Texas/OU game, the USC/AZ St game and the OKSt/Mizzou game. Now I'm headed to bed and I'm going to watch the Hawaii game. My wife hates me.

Stinki

Oh yeah, bye-bye Vandy. It was fun while it lasted.

Man, what a day in college football. Outside of USC, it seemed as if being ranked in the top 10 was a sure bet to getting beat. I think Texas should be the new #1 as they looked the part and deserve it after beating the previous #1. Of course this BCS "system" will probably not reward them. Get a darned playoff system already you idiots!!!! :angry:

Bama will be back this coming Saturday! Thank goodness! I hate off weeks...But great games yesterday! I watched the Gators bat LSU around like a ball of yarn, and the OU/Texas game was outstanding...and let's not forget that Auburn lost to ARKANSAS....Good goin Tubby...pfffft. Also way to go Penn State...however I didn't see Mizzou goin down...I didn't get to watch much of that one...Another great saturday...I miss my boys....next week Bama hosting Ole Miss!!

Melly

New AP Poll Rankings:

1. Texas (39) 6-0 1,599
2. Alabama (26) 6-0 1,582
3. Penn State 7-0 1,492
4. Oklahoma 5-1 1,306
5. Florida 5-1 1,284
6. USC 4-1 1,247
7. Texas Tech 6-0 1,210
8. Oklahoma State 6-0 1,184
9. Brigham Young 6-0 1,131
10. Georgia 5-1 1,081
11. Missouri 5-1 984
12. Ohio State 6-1 908
13. LSU 4-1 893
14. Utah 7-0 834
15. Boise State 5-0 714
16. Kansas 5-1 620
17. Virginia Tech 5-1 540
18. North Carolina 5-1 416
19. South Florida 5-1 397
20. Michigan State 6-1 371
21. Wake Forest 4-1 330
22. Vanderbilt 5-1 258
23. Pittsburgh 4-1 182
24. Ball State 7-0 166
25. California 4-1 115

Compare with the USA Today Poll:

1. Texas (44) 6-0 1,505
2. Alabama (14) 6-0 1,452
3. Penn State (3) 7-0 1,416
4. USC 4-1 1,198
5. Texas Tech 6-0 1,195
6. Oklahoma 5-1 1,147
7. Florida 5-1 1,145
8. Brigham Young 6-0 1,143
9. Georgia 5-1 1,010
10. Oklahoma State 6-0 958
11. Ohio State 6-1 920
12. Missouri 5-1 886
13. Utah 7-0 819
14. LSU 4-1 776
15. Kansas 5-1 676
16. Boise State 5-0 648
17. Michigan State 6-1 468
18. Virginia Tech 5-1 467
19. Wake Forest 4-1 376
20. South Florida 5-1 334
21. North Carolina 5-1 321
22. California 4-1 169
23. Vanderbilt 5-1 147
24. TCU 6-1 138
25. Ball State 7-0 135

Texas deserves it this week; Colt & company played an awesome game...

seal-1.gif