• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coming over to the dark side...

MichaelD

What does this button do again?
Another reason to think that my GF is the "one." She took it upon herself to get me my first pipe for Christmas, set me up with a nice scotch and just sent me outside to try out my new toy. I have little clue what the hell is doing, but love her dearly for encouraging me to try out this alternative vice. Time to do some reading and experimentation.

To me, Pipes are a hell of alot easier and a lot more consistent. If you don't get into buying a lot of pricey pipes, a lot cheaper too. I love cigars, but they can be a pain.
For instance, one of the holy grails for a lot of Cigar smokers, me included, is a great short smoke. Almost impossible. A pipe, you fill a bowl, and if you have to stop, just put it down and relight when convenient. Not only does the relight not taste like crap, it might actually taste better.

To me, Pipes are a hell of alot easier and a lot more consistent. If you don't get into buying a lot of pricey pipes, a lot cheaper too. I love cigars, but they can be a pain.
For instance, one of the holy grails for a lot of Cigar smokers, me included, is a great short smoke. Almost impossible. A pipe, you fill a bowl, and if you have to stop, just put it down and relight when convenient. Not only does the relight not taste like crap, it might actually taste better.

I've only had a chance to light up a half a dozen times over my holiday break. Twice I found the time to smoke a nice cigar, but even with the warmer weather, I was getting too cold to enjoy the entire experience after an hour or so. The rest of the time I enjoyed the process of breaking in the pipe. I'm only smoking half bowls right now as I break in the pipe my girlfriend bought me. The fact that it's a much quicker experience has me hooked. While it's not as full-flavored experience as with a cigar, the amazing smelling smoke makes more than up for it.

Now if I can figure out how to stop drooling, I'll be golden. I just can't keep the pipe clamped between my teeth and not turn into a slobbery mess.

Now if I can figure out how to stop drooling, I'll be golden. I just can't keep the pipe clamped between my teeth and not turn into a slobbery mess.

Yeah, thats the reason I don't clench. Seems more relaxing to me anyway to take a few sips, and then lay back and hold it.

What have you tried as far as tobaccos?

Clenching can be a culprit, but so can a well balanced tobacco blend. I.e., a blend that hits all the receptors on your palate can increase salivation. Same reason why some blends/cigars dry the palate (unbalanced) For some folks it can be an "excessive" amount.

Like with cigars, I prefer not to hold onto the pipe in my mouth but rather hold it in my hand or put it down. But with cigars it's because I feel like I inhaling the smoke when I'm trying to breath. With pipes it's because of the drool factor.

As far as tobacco my experience has been entirely limited to what I believe is an aromatic house blend from a tobacco shop near Massanutten, VA. It smells a bit like black cherries. I'm really digging it though. Since I only have the one pipe right, I've only been smoking the one blend. I'm hoping to stop by a local shop this weekend to pick up another pipe and try something out of the English camp. Suggestions are welcomed. :) Unlike with cigars where I'm constantly trying new stuff, I feel less compelled to be compulsively trying new things with pipes. A few stables should likely do me just fine.

PM me your addy, I'll send you a few things to try, that way you don't have to buy whole tins and find out you don't like them.

Like with cigars, I prefer not to hold onto the pipe in my mouth but rather hold it in my hand or put it down. But with cigars it's because I feel like I inhaling the smoke when I'm trying to breath. With pipes it's because of the drool factor.

Clenching can be easier depending on the design of the stem, how heavy the pipe is, where you hold it in your mouth/teeth, etc. I have some pipes I can clench and smoke comfortable, and some there is no way. It's all just personal preference of course. As MM said, some blends can contribute to the drool factor as well.

Unlike with cigars where I'm constantly trying new stuff, I feel less compelled to be compulsively trying new things with pipes. A few stables should likely do me just fine.

Famous last words right there LOL :D
PM me your address as well, I've got a few things you can try out.