• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Compressor + Humidification = Not As Bad As I Thought?

MNBrian

So after a series of unfortunate events that involved buying a garbage truck full of new cigars (I blame Scap and Josh), I bought a 38 bottle Frigidair wineador.

Found one for a good deal at a scratch and dent, and I have this crazy plot to turn my 8 foot by 4 foot standing freezer into a giant freezerdor, lining it with Spanish cedar, regulating temp, adding a nice active humidification system, ect. But before I got to tear it to pieces, the influx of cigars forced my hand into action.

Funny thing is, I thought the Frigidair used a Peltier system, but when I got home and had to actually carry the thing (because they were nice enough to load it for me into my car), I realized it was definitely a compressor. I figured it'd be a good experiment to give it a try.

So I filled it up with crumpled newspaper for a few days to get the plastic smell out. Next I filled it with empty cedar boxes to get something more pleasing in there. And three days ago I put a spare hygrometer in there and was shocked at the result. Granted, Minnesota is as humid as a rainforest right now, but the relative humidity was at 52% at a temp of 58 degrees with the wineador running constantly.

Time will tell how well this works, but despite the compressor system sucking humidity out of the wineador, the RH was much higher than I expected, actually pretty close to what my Peltier system was running at. With some active humidification running and a temp regulator to switch the system on and off, I'm pretty confident I can keep this system in ideal conditions which gives me a lot of hope for the freezer.