• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Computer Help

benjiev

"The Honorable"
Okay you computer gurus I need some help. I am totally disfunctional when it comes to this stupid box :( Here's my problem

When I go to ie, I default to the following page

"error:blank" in the address bar and on the page below I get this Open the s: yada yada yada verbage

When I click on the propeties for this page I get this

res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/syntax.htm#

This is driving my nuts! It's such an annoyance :(

Can anyone help me get rid of this? Any ideas?

It almost sounds like the ie home page has been changed. Try clicking on tools, then internet options and check the home page address. It should be the same as you get when clicking properties. If it is change it to the home page you like to start on.

It almost sounds like the ie home page has been changed. Try clicking on tools, then internet options and check the home page address. It should be the same as you get when clicking properties. If it is change it to the home page you like to start on.
Ditto that. Do what BT said and you should be good to go. You probably went to a site or clicked a banner that changed your default home page.

Thanks but rebooting didn't work, it was worth a try since I hadn't done that yet.

Changed the default setting as well but no luck :( Thanks for the suggestion.

I have run the Spybot, and Adware scans and it doesn't come up there either. Removed excess programs from the control panel as well.

Thanks but rebooting didn't work, it was worth a try since I hadn't done that yet.

Changed the default setting as well but no luck :( Thanks for the suggestion.

I have run the Spybot, and Adware scans and it doesn't come up there either. Removed excess programs from the control panel as well.

Do you have internet access on the PC? Is the access up and running? Sorry - I ASSumed this was on a different PC.

<also> when did you last run Windows Update?

What version if IE are you running?

Your browser/system may have been hijacked.

Based on the limited info...take a look at this - Linky.

Switch to Firefox/Thunderbird would be my suggestion but barring that you need to run your virus checker too since some of those will repoint your homepage and Spybot won't pick them out. If you don't have a current anti-virus then go to Trend Micro and click on their free virus scan.

run your virus checker too since some of those will repoint your homepage and Spybot won't pick them out. If you don't have a current anti-virus then go to Trend Micro and click on their free virus scan.

Adding to this. I believe you have some spyware. Please download Spybot, and Adaware. Update both and run. You'll be amazed the crap on the system. If that still dosen't work. You're going to have to go to a website called Majorgeeks. They are really helpful for people like yourself. Or you can contact me in PM.

Did IE crash while you were browsing at some point? What version is it, when was the last time it was upgraded, and what OS?

Of course the easy way would be to go to www.firefox.com and explore what a browser is capable of doing after customizing it with any extension you can dream of ;)