• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Conditions Too Humid

SouthsideCigar

I have a question about having a humidor in conditions that are too humid.
I recently moved my cabinet (JC Pendergast CA3668) into the basement for the cooler temperatures.
The problem I have now is my basement seems to hover around 74% humidity, so the active humidification system never comes on, but now my cigars will be too moist.
I was thinking of putting some dry 65% beads in to absorb the excess moisture, but was wondering if it will cause my active humi system to run constantly to battle the beads.
Has anyone been in this situation before?

Dave

I havent had this issue, but would think a dehumidifier in the room would help.

I would add that if I saw humidity in my main storage humi above 70, but below 74 i.e., I don't have to do anything real drastic to keep it down, , I would definitely keep a months supply of smokes in an airtight 65% container. Ususally a cedar box in a Lock and Lock. Those are so air tight that the humidity follows the Bovedas I used beautifully.

edit to add

I have a question about having a humidor in conditions that are too humid.
I recently moved my cabinet (JC Pendergast CA3668) into the basement for the cooler temperatures.
The problem I have now is my basement seems to hover around 74% humidity, so the active humidification system never comes on, but now my cigars will be too moist.
I was thinking of putting some dry 65% beads in to absorb the excess moisture, but was wondering if it will cause my active humi system to run constantly to battle the beads.
Has anyone been in this situation before?

Dave

I am having the same problem since I put in a air conditioner in the room with my humi. The temperature is now fine but the humidity is getting to 70-71% and my Hydra has not kicked in for a long time. I am also going to get some 65% beads and I will try to set the Hydra to 64.9. I am hoping that this will only cause the Hydra to kick in every once in a while. I will make adjustments to the Hydra as needed.

Best Regards
Don

Dehumidifiers will give you what you need. My basement holds a high humidity and I do store my coolidor down there. The dehumidifier pulls plenty of water out of the air and works great! I have had few problems since I bought it and I think I hold at just a bit over 65%. It sounds to me that you have all of the typical gear for raising humidity but that you now need to get a tool for lowering it.

Yes, you can dehumidify the whole basement, and at 70+ pct, I think I would. In the short term, the beads will help you. The problem with the active humidifiers is that they don't remove moisture. I would purchase the appropriate volume of beads for your cabinet, then place them "dry". They should be an opaque white. As they absorb, they will turn a translucent white. Saturated, they are a clear translucent. To dry them, a "warm" oven for a couple of hours should do.

You really should dehumidify the basement if the humidity is that high.

We keep ours right at 55%-60% during the summer. Any higher and we star to get condensation on the water pipes and even the walls in the unfinished part. We are in a different situation, though. My basement temp is never above 65 and stays around 60-63 most of the time.

It sounds like beads may be your answer if you forgo the dehumidifier.