• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Confusing Mold Battle

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
My Credo humidifier is fighting mold off! It's showing a light brown mold in on the foam part. I wonder if this is just from the stuff that the cigars give off as they share the humidor space. The thing is, the cigars taste great and get plenty of humidity. I've seen better setups, but I am satisfied with mine. My cigars even get bloom on them, so I know I am doing most of this correctly. I just wonder about the mold on the sponge area.

Suggestions, comments?

My one suggestion:

REPLACE YOUR OASIS FOAM!!!!!

It's dirt cheap at a florist (get a brick of WET foam for around a buck). If there's mold anywhere in your humidor, it'll spread. Believe me, you DON'T want a moldy cigar. Iiiiiiiiiiiiiicky!

If you can't find a florist that carries it, send me the rough dimensions of what you need, I'll send you a piece of it.

Dave ;)

Absolutely, get that nasty foam out and toss it!!

I got my foam at Wal-Mart for nearly nothing, Big ole brick for like $2 if my memory is longer than my...well, anyway, it was cheap!

OK, point taken veterans of this ageless battle. The next question is: Can you really crack open a humidifier? I think this Credo is unbreakable like Bruce Willis!

Well, all you need is an old cigar tube and the foam. Take a punch or all and punch a few holes in the tube. I would leave the cedar in there to keep water from leaking into your humidor. Then cut some foam to fit and insert into the tube. Add some distilled H2O and screw on the cap! Homemade humidifier! You may need something bigger, like a soap dish, depending on the size of your humidor. Same thing applies...drill some holes in the soap dish and cut a piece of floral foam to fit, add distilled water, and close the lid!

Hope this helps! :D

Or just break out your handy dandy pocket knife and pry off the lid. I guess it depends on how yours was constructed.

Dave ;)

Or you could just buy a new one! :sign:

The "credo" in my humi has threads, it unscrews so I can replace the foam when I need to. If yours doesn't open, then you may want to replace it. If it does open, let me know and I will meet you somewhere with a hunk of foam, and a Good cigar :D