• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Contest

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
Everyone is eligible. My contest my rules and answers.

During WWII, there were three very different things called P-38. What are they?

Why is the goat, of all things , the Navy mascot?

What is the origin of the phrase, “son of a gun”?

What is the origin of the prase "old goat"?

First person to post the correct answers wins a nice selection of cigars blended by Don Pepin Garcia.

Doc.

1. Mauser-made Pistol, Lockheed P-38 Lightning, can opener

2. One pet, a goat named El Cid (meaning Chief) was the mascot aboard the USS New York. When its crew attended the fourth Navy-Army football game in 1893, they took El Cid to the game, which resulted in the West Pointers losing. El Cid (The Chief) was offered shore duty at Annapolis and became the Navy's mascot.

3. The phrase originated as 'son of a military man' (i.e. a gun). The most commonly repeated version in this strand is that the British Navy used to allow women to live on naval ships. Any child born on board who had uncertain paternity would be listed in the ship's log as 'son of a gun

4. Navy Chief Petty Officer's quarters. From the Naval tradition that goats brought on board for milk were under the charge of the chiefs. Probably the origin of the phrase Old Goat.

Nick

P-38 Airplane,Pistol,can Opener
Mascot-goat died at sea onboard navy ship...a way to show affection for the goat
SOG-Son of military man. Sailors had their way with women and the kids were son's of a guns
Goat Locker
Navy Chief Petty Officer's quarters. From the Naval tradition that goats brought on board for milk were under the charge of the chiefs. Probably the origin of the phrase Old Goat.

1) 1. Walther Pistol, P-38 Lightning, can opener

2) In the 1880s, ships sailed with livestock in order to provide sailors with fresh food.

There is a legend that a Navy ship sailed with a pet goat. The goat died during the cruise. The officers preserved the skin, to have it mounted when they returned to port.

3) The phrase originated as 'son of a military man' (i.e. a gun).

4) first origin :

The goat-Gods Pan and Dionysius in Greek mythology represent the forest and unbridled nature; lust in the case of Pan and Drinking, and fertility in the case of Dionysius. Hence from the OED we have the term for a lecherous older man; "you old Goat".

naval: Goat Locker

This contest was ill-concieved in a fit of boredom. So to be fair, I'm going to send the three of you a pkg. on tues. If your addy is not in your profile or is inacurate Pm me.

Doc.

Thanks for the contest Devil Doc, I appreciate it. Ill-conceived or not, I learned some new things, which made it fun for me.

PM about addy on the way.

Nick

This was a mad rush for me. Then in the middle of the whole thing, the wife starts shutting all the lights off ans says we have to go. So I logged off. Then she runs to the bathroom real quick so I log back on. After I added my reply, I saw that someone had beaten me to it. I was so ticked. Great contest though. I learned something new and thats always fun.

I added one cigar to the prize and divided by three. Sorry for the screw up.

Razorback: 0306 0320 0001 1542 9781

Marcos: 9798

grateful1: 9774

Doc.

I know the contest is over but son of a gun originated from a civil war tale were a bullet suposedly passed through a soldiers scrotum then hit a nearby woman in the womb impregnating her. They were married afterward and had several children. I cannot remember thier names but this was on mythbusters and the history channel.There is also a old newspaper article documenting the event.

I know the contest is over but son of a gun originated from a civil war tale were a bullet suposedly passed through a soldiers scrotum then hit a nearby woman in the womb impregnating her. They were married afterward and had several children. I cannot remember thier names but this was on mythbusters and the history channel.There is also a old newspaper article documenting the event.

<edit - wrong phrase - oops!>

So where does 'Son of a bitch' come from :sign: :sign:

Received the package today! Thanks alot Doc! I've been wanting to try some other Don Pepin smoke.

Nick

Mine came today as well. Look great. Can't wait to smoke one but when I do I will review it with pics here. Thanks for an opportunity to smoke some good stuff. Does DPG have a website or something where I can learn some more about variety and vitolas?

Edited b/c I can't spell