• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cooking a steak

OahuGrown

anyone got some simple recipes?

hows about some marinade recipes? post them up!

Just season it with Kosher Salt and Fresh Black pepper, then let it sit for about 4 hours. Cook it on high heat on the grill. When it comes off, brush it with olive oil and let it sit for 5 mintues.

then eat!

I typically throw Tony Chachere's and a little garlic power on my T-Bones and porterhouse around 15 minutes to grill time at room temp. This lets the flavors absorb into the meat for nice flava. I think I'll go have some steak and eggs for breakfast now, sam I am.

Nothing better than a gas grill. I use a nice 3 burner weber. You have to get the grill hot first. I will turn the grill on high and let it run for 10 minutes to get it hot and burn off any past residue. After 10 minutes I clean in with while is still on high. I then turn down the temp to med/low and let it sit with the lid closed for about 5 minutes. While that is going on I will go inside and put some butter in a bowl and melt it in the microwave or you can do it in a pan. After the butter is metled I will add some garlic, salt and pepper and just a small about of Jack Daniels to it. Stir it up well and then get your stake and a brush to baste the butter sauce on with. I like the baste both sides before throwing the staks on. Put on your meat and wait 5 minutes a side for what you want the meat to cook at. Slow is better and will make the steak juicy with flavor. I like medium to medium well. Also this if for a 1 to 1 1/2 inch steak. So adjust to the thickness. Try not to let anyflame ups happen and will enjoy your steak much better.

Nothing better than a gas grill. I use a nice 3 burner weber. You have to get the grill hot first. I will turn the grill on high and let it run for 10 minutes to get it hot and burn off any past residue. After 10 minutes I clean in with while is still on high. I then turn down the temp to med/low and let it sit with the lid closed for about 5 minutes. While that is going on I will go inside and put some butter in a bowl and melt it in the microwave or you can do it in a pan. After the butter is metled I will add some garlic, salt and pepper and just a small about of Jack Daniels to it. Stir it up well and then get your stake and a brush to baste the butter sauce on with. I like the baste both sides before throwing the staks on. Put on your meat and wait 5 minutes a side for what you want the meat to cook at. Slow is better and will make the steak juicy with flavor. I like medium to medium well. Also this if for a 1 to 1 1/2 inch steak. So adjust to the thickness. Try not to let anyflame ups happen and will enjoy your steak much better.

NO NO NO...Gas = Convienience = no flavor compared to nice charcoal

Just season it with Kosher Salt and Fresh Black pepper, then let it sit for about 4 hours. Cook it on high heat on the grill. When it comes off, brush it with olive oil and let it sit for 5 mintues.

then eat!

Yep. I add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice after the olive oil just to balance out the flavor of the oil with a little tartness. Never fails to please the guests.

Start with a good cut of meat. You can't marinate a lesser cut into a good one.

We use a very simple recipie but it turns out great. Sprinkle on some worstchester sauce, course ground black pepper, a little salt, and some garlic. Let it sit for an hour or so with this on it. Grill it up on your "no flavor gas grill" and you will have a tasty steak.... :sign: I have a "no flavor gas grill" too and it sure seems to work well.... :p

HBS - never tried the olive oil trick....may have to give it a shot.

Cheers, guys - B.B.S.

Charcoal with a few mesquite wood chips. Not too many wood chips, High heat... let me repeat.... high heat. Depending on the cut of meat, the size, and the grill you use will determine cooking time. I usually cook a 3/4 to 1 inch ribeye on hot hot coals for approx 5 to 6 minutes on one side and approx 4 to 5 on the other. The 3/4 inch comes off medium and the 1 inch comes off med rare. YMMV

Hillbilly is right on with seasoning. Buy a good cut of meat and don't screw it up with marinading it. Steak is one of those things where less is more.

Not much on the recipes portion, I just use a Jack Daniels marinade, but as far as cuts go...I don't think anything beats a good ribeye.

sorry guys, but dont care much for chared meat. That is why I like the gas grill better. Less flame ups and better juice in the meat for me. No one has not liked the way I cooked yet but to each there own. :sign:

I typically throw Tony Chachere's and a little garlic power on my T-Bones and porterhouse around 15 minutes to grill time at room temp. This lets the flavors absorb into the meat for nice flava. I think I'll go have some steak and eggs for breakfast now, sam I am.

I first found Tony's at the Rice Festival in LA, and fell in love with it. Later when I moved back to IN no-one carried it, I used to have cases shipped up here, now it's everywhere. I put it on EVERYTHING, including eggs at breakfast.

I usually just coat the meat in generous amounts of salt and pepper, and put it on a very very hot cast iron pan on my stove, sear each side for about a minute and then in a 300 degree oven for a few more minutes until done how i like it!

I'm terrible behind the grill, but I shine in the kitchen :p

Ive recently changed techniques.

Pre-heat oven to 400 with cast iron skillet inside.

Season steak with Mont. steak seasoning or whatever and let warm a little.

Take out skillet and place on burner set at high. Sear about 30 seconds on each side then place back in oven and cook until done to your taste. Be forwarned things can get a little smokey.

Thanks for mentioning Tony's. I forgot about it and I'll give it another try on steaks. It's been a while since I used it.

When I cook Buffalo on the grill I marinate in a 50/50 mix of worcestershire sauce and olive oil with ground pepper. Then to the fridge for a minumum of 24 hours because the fat content is so low. Warm it up to room temperature before grilling on a max heated propane grill. I would think this would work just as well on cow, the long marinating time wouldn't be necessary.

Knock it's horns off, wipe it's arse, walk it through a hot kitchen, and there ya go, good steak!!

Personally, I feel that with a rib-eye or a strip loin, you shouldn't need to marinade it, but that's just my taste. I love the taste of semi-cooked beef (seared on the outside and still cool in the center).

I do use a gas grill for convenience, but I'll agree with Jimmy, real charcoal just does the job so much better.