• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooking with Spanish Cedar?

Shuji

Way too much time on my hands.

I bought on CBid recently three 'boxes of blocks'. This is where they ship you a paper-covered cigar box full of all sizes of spanish cedar blocks.

These things smell like heaven (as I'm sure you all know). As cheap as these blocks are, and as many as I have, I'm thinking about tossing them on some coals in the smoker and using them to smoke some meat.

Good idea? Bad idea? Try it and then decide?

I think cooking with wood chips is wholly dependant on the dryness of the wood. I can't remember if you wanted wetter woods... or dryer woods. My guess would be wetter. The Spanish Cedar seems like it would burn up rather easily and leave your food with a burnt taste rather than a smokey taste. Never tried it, so I can't say for certain. Interesting idea, no less.

Well, when you smoke something, you have to soak the wood in water first to make it wet so that it smokes, but doesn't burn.

We cook with regular cedar a lot, I figured that the SC would have a cleaner taste, since it certainly has a cleaner smell ;)

I've worked with panels of this stuff and I gotta say... Don't even think about cooking with it. The first time I sawed up a bunch of it I experienced severe reactions. Eyes burning, nose burning, sick to my stomach... very unpleasant. This cedar may be good for cigars but it isn't good for mammals. I don't know if this stuff is dangerous or what's in it that causes these reactions but I'd be careful. Last time I worked with it... airtight goggles and respirator.

NA

I agree with Neal, a lot of people have very serious allergic reaction to certain types of Cedar, and I personally would not want to risk ingesting that. You can get really good wood chips at albertsons that are made for cooking (hickery, Mesquite, oak etc) I would not recommend using the Spanish Cedar for that.

just MO

I found out on a woodworking site, can't remember where, that Spanish Cedar dust is toxic.

They recommended a dust mask when cutting or sanding the wood.

Can't confirm or deny these allegations.

When I was lining the fridgador, I worn a cheap breather mask. Better safe than sorry.

Keep that thought....

You do not smoke with it or saw it up and season with it....

You cook ON it...Do a search for cooking ON cedar and you will find a boat load of recipes. I was in one of Emiril's restaraunts in New Orleans and had some fish cooked on a cedar plank that was out of this world... :thumbs:

Check it out and see where you get...

geldor1 said:
I found out on a woodworking site, can't remember where, that Spanish Cedar dust is toxic.
Now that would explain a lot about Neal! :0

Who luv's ya :love:

kurtcigar1 said:
Keep that thought....

You do not smoke with it or saw it up and season with it....

You cook ON it...Do a search for cooking ON cedar and you will find a boat load of recipes. I was in one of Emiril's restaraunts in New Orleans and had some fish cooked on a cedar plank that was out of this world... :thumbs:

Check it out and see where you get...
Yeah Kurt, but that is real cedar. Spanish Cedar is not Cedar. See there?

NA

You have a good idea there!!!!! If you are using them in the smoker you will need to soak the blocks over night in water, you could even add some JD to the water for soaking. Out side of that you can lay the blocks over the coals on a rack after soaking them and put a couple of nice pieces of fish on them!!!! Either way you should have something that taste real nice when you are done!!

No it is not cedar....but it got its name from the aroma....it is the aroma that works with the food...

You find the same hazards for working 'real' cedar as you do for spanish (un-real) cedar...I'll bet that inhaling the aroma of spanish cedar is more dangerous than cooking on it! :D

All cedar wood is toxic if it has not been dried. Its the sap that makes you sick so as long as the blocks have been kiln dried you will be just fine.. The sap is why you never roast your wennies over a camp fire fueled by pine. It does not send you to the hospital, it MIGHT just make you feel a little QUEEZIE!!

i'd like to make a nice pacifier out of it.

it could be like my smoking patch.

or something.

actually, i'd prefer to gnaw on it with my teeth.
hmmm. if i ever get a block, i'll gnaw upon it daily, with pictures.
the block can't be too big tho. it should be like thickness of like maybe a small cigar. 30 something inches?

hmmm, i'd look funny sucking on a block of spanish cedar.

thejollyco said:
i'd like to make a nice pacifier out of it.

it could be like my smoking patch.

or something.

actually, i'd prefer to gnaw on it with my teeth.
hmmm. if i ever get a block, i'll gnaw upon it daily, with pictures.
the block can't be too big tho. it should be like thickness of like maybe a small cigar. 30 something inches?

hmmm, i'd look funny sucking on a block of spanish cedar.
That would probably send you to the hospital!!!

You FREAK!!!!! LMAO!!!

I do alot of smoking especially during the summer. Stick with Hickory or Mesquite. There are also flavored woodchips as well, such as apple wood. My favorite is Mesquite.