• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cool Find...

mrjinglesusa

CP Chemist
So, going through the remaining items in my wife's old house that we finally sold. Came across a copy of "A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court" by Sam Clemens (aka Mark Twain). Looks old so I look at the publication date....1889 or 1891 (I can't remember, one was publication date, one copyright date). I could have sworn it was published in 1889 and actually copyrighted in 1891 - have to look again when we go back to the house tomorrow morning. Either way, it's either a First Edition or very early printing. :thumbs:

Pretty cool and a very nice copy of the book. There's just something about old books that appeals to me....

Nice find...
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court WAS first released in 1889 by Charles L. Webster & Co.
First edition had 575 pages, and about 220 illustrations.
Publisher's decorated green cloth.

edited with more info

junkman_56 said:
Nice find...
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court WAS first published in 1889.
[snapback]235795[/snapback]​

Didn't Neal actually publish it himself in 1889? :whistling:
Fuggin ol' guy! I never liked him anyway!

JV

junkman_56 said:
Nice find...
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court WAS first published in 1889.
[snapback]235795[/snapback]​

Yeah, I looked it up when I got back to the hotel. I just can't remember if the 1889 date I saw was copyright or publication date. ???

EDIT: One date (either 1889 or 1891) was under the publisher name. The other was under "Copyright Sam Clemens 18XX". I'll know what to look for tomorrow. Apparently, in the First Edition, first printing there are some differences that aren't found in the later printings. I have a feeling this was a printing from 1891...

Very cool find indeed! I share your fondness for old books. I found an early 1900s publication of Dante's Inferno in the coffee table style once and my jaw completely hit the floor! Unfortunately at the time I couldn't afford it ($265). :(

A grand old book for certain. Written before Sam became consumed by grief.

NA

Good to see some appreciation of old books. I'ts a hobby of mine as well. Great find, I would love to have that book! Usually if it's not a first edition it isn't worth a lot, but still nice to have. The best one I have is a first edition (london) Bleak House by Charles Dickens 1853. I've been looking for a good old Mark Twain book for awhile. :thumbs:

I just re-read that book a couple of months ago. It was a pretty biting criticism of the class system in medieval England, and a veiled jab at some of the habits of his times.

He was just starting to get cynical.

Excellent, excellent find!

Look at pg 59, if I'm not mistaken it should look like this:

pg59AYankeeInKingArthursCourt.jpg

With no ornamentation between The and King

(Interesting that the cover title was simply "A Yankee In King Arthur's Court")

Not about the book, but about the author...
My favorite short story is This one. I re-read it online when this thread came up. Almost fell out of my chair. Still hilarious.

junkman_56 said:
Hey Jim,
Any update on the book, is it a "first edition"?
[snapback]237341[/snapback]​

I don't think so. The publication date was 1891, not 1889. Anyway, it is in good shape and will make a nice addition to our library. :thumbs: