• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooler ok to use?

Nathan Rahl

Dum de Dum
Simple little question. My parents have several large coolers that they use for the beach and what not. I was thinking of saving myself some money and just grabbing one of these coolers and turning it into my coolidor. Just wondering if it is alright to use a cooler that has been used for food, ice, beer, pop and other miscellaneous items. If it is OK to use, is there anything special I should do to prep it other than the basics?

Thanks for any info.

Winter is coming up, which means I have more money, which means I can finally buy some more cigars. I've been on a strict budget during the summer because of extra expenses and the lack of a good job. But now it's all about the cigars! :D Hopefully I will be able to do some more trades on here with all you fine folk.

Im not sure if it is the recommended way of doing things but being short on cash this summer as well I did it and everything worked out great. The only thing is that instead of cleaning out that "New Cooler" plastic smell you have to get rid of an "old cooler" food and water smell. I got that good neutral clean smell in the same way that is recommended for new coolers, then with the addition of humidity and cedar (then later cigars) it is smelling wonderful and maintains humidity very well with beads couldn't be happier.

Other people may recommend otherwise and they may be correct just recounting my experience in hopes that it could be useful.

CYG

Just wipe out with a damp cloth.

I would imagine that pretty soon the cedar and tobacco smells woudl ovewhelem anything else

Use a little bit of bleach and wash the insides throughly...let it air dry for a day or so and it should be good to go.

I would say wash it out with soap and water(not too much soap) and then put some baking soda in it for a few days. The baking soda will absorb a lot of the smells if any remain.

Ok, so the general consensus is that it is ok to use. Thanks for the replies guys.

Edit: Hey! 200th post! Yah! :p

I would take Lumbergs advise. Wipe down with a clean wet cloth. Throw some cedar boxes in there and your set. I wouldn't use bleach.

I'm in the "no chlorene" crowd as well. I wouldn't use bleach in a confined space where I was planning on storing food or smokes. Hit it with hot, soapy water, scrub the living hell out of it, rinse it several times, and let it dry in the sun for a day or two.

I sure like my cooler; bought new for about $12.00 It holds things at 65-68% like a champ.

Regards - B.B.S.

Theres nothing wrong with using bleach as long as you let it dry COMPLETLY...bleach bi-product is sodium when it dries and the worse case you would get would be a little bit of salt residue on the coolerdor which would wipe right off. But this shouldnt be a problem if you rinse it out well. Ive been making my own beer and wine for years and use nothing but bleach to clean all the equipment and bottling supplies...surely i wouldnt use the stuff if i knew it would be harmful or affect taste...how else do you think you sanatize things?!?! :laugh:

There really is no easier way i can think to COMPLETLY get rid of any smells and totally sanitize the inside or a cooler.