• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolerdor humidity keeps rising. What gives?

dlow

Noob
Hey guys,

I've tried my best to get this figured out on my own, but I can't seem find any reason why this would happen. I've got a smallish coolerdor (16qt) containing a cigar box (spanish cedar) and about 8 cigars. My hygrometer is a cheapo from walmart, but I've salt tested it and I'm confident that it's giving accurate readings. My humidification device is the round xikar 100 ct humidor crystal gel that I moistened with distilled water. Each day I check the coolerdor, the humidity goes up. Initially, it started out pretty low (50% or so), then rose to about 68 in the first 24 hours and after that it has consistently gone up by about 1-2% each day. This week I let it get to about 78% before I used a small book to fan some fresh air into the cooler. Once I fanned it, the humidity dropped again down to about 65%. I've gone through this whole routine now for about 2 weeks. I just don't understand it. I have two theories (keep in mind I know nothing about this stuff):

1) The xikar humidification device isn't keeping a steady 70% humidity like it says it's supposed to do.

2) The cigars themselves, or the cigar box, have a lot of moisture in them and are adding to the problem.

This is a picture of the type of cooler I'm using:
83549_072507i_ik.jpg

Here's a picture of the xikar humidifier I'm using:
811.jpg

Any ideas what might be going on here? Do I need to salt test my hygrometer again? I've heard a lot about people not being able to keep the humidity high enough, but never anything about it being too low.

I've got a 70 qt and the last couple boxes I've added has thrown off the humidity. It had run for a month at a constant 68% or so and now I'm taking beads out to keep it under 70. I think the last boxes I've added had a little too much moisture.

Get some beads!!
They work great and keep a steady RH.
You can choose which % you like (65% or 70%).

I bet that the xikar humidification device is the source of the problem,
maybe you put to much distilled water.

I had this same problem with my cooler.

Where are you keeping it? Mine was in the basement, and I think that was part of my problem. It is an older cooler, and the seal doesn't seem to be that great, even though i tried to make it a bit better with some "D" shaped rubber seal

Another thing I thought of was maybe since i filled the cooler up with water and let it sit overnight with a bit of bleach in it (to make sure all the little nasties were dead) maybe it absorbed some water around the drain spout and was outgassing ($50 word there) as the humidity ratios became too unbalanced.

I eventually bought a couple 3 packs of the bigger Gladware containers for my singles and and a 3 gallon food grade bucket (it held cherry pie filling originally...yummy) for my boxes. Of course...I'm running out of room again, and my wife can't get any more of those buckets, but what can you do.

Anyway...I've found that since I'm not able to keep more than a few hundred cigars on hand, the smaller containers do really well. I just tape tape little humi packs to the lid, and rotate a couple small digital hygrometers around the 4 that I am currently using. They hold all but my biggest cigars, and since I'm trying to scale the size down a bit (I really don't get 1.5+ hours to smoke often in WI winters) it's not a bad trade. It's also fun to play tetris with the boxes in the bucket too...hehe

The Xikar humidifer should have been charged with Humidor Solution (PG/distilled water mix).

The Xikar humidifer should have been charged with Humidor Solution (PG/distilled water mix).

Is this true? The gentleman at the tobacco shop said that distilled water would work fine.... :angry:

I've not had good luck with that humidification device. I had the same type (different brand).

Go with the beads. :thumbs:

Is this true? The gentleman at the tobacco shop said that distilled water would work fine.... :angry:

distilled water on its own will not control your humidity level. Its the PG in the humidor solution that will keep the humidity level near 70%.

According to http://www.xikar.com/product_humidification.asp, "For the humidification system to work properly, use XIKAR® brand PG Solution. Other solutions will damage your humidifier.". I would buy some beads from Heartfelt Industries.

Good luck!

-Chad

I use the 250 count Xikar humidifier and a 100. I charge it with the Xikar PG solution. It works great. My RH has gone up a tad, but it's also been a lot warmer here recently.

-Gianni-

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I'm going to run down to the store this weekend, pick up some solution for the crystals and inform the store owner of my troubles so that no one else makes the same mistake.

I read through this pretty fast so I may have missed it but....

Does that cooler create an airtight seal? From what I remember of them (have not owned one in a number of yeas) they do not. If this is the case, this would be where I would start.

Tim

I read through this pretty fast so I may have missed it but....

Does that cooler create an airtight seal? From what I remember of them (have not owned one in a number of yeas) they do not. If this is the case, this would be where I would start.

Tim

It probably doesn't but wouldn't that cause my humidity to drop? It was going up when the weather was 40 degrees outside and the heater was running. I can't imagine the ambient humidity being over 70% in those conditions.

I lean more towards your method of humidifcation.. I've never used the xikar one, but I beads have never let me down :)