• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolidor glue?

JimiHendrix

Typcast Unemployed
Reaction score
After reading up on Coolidors in the "How To" thread I decided to take the plunge and buy one. I bleached it out and did the rest to get the plastic smell out and my Pops suggested we glue cedar to the walls to give it that nice smell we are all familiar with. The only thing I'm not wondering is, is the glue bad? It is all covered and everything but will the fumes or anything else be detrimental to my smokes?

-Mike

the glue might give off the chemical smell? but isn't most glue just made up of synthetic starches and binders now? I'm interested in some of the responses now. For my coolidor, i just have cedar boxes i scored from Cbid, which i'm sure is more than enough since i don't usually leave loose sticks.

Depends on the glue. If it has a strong smell you shouldn't use it, so elmers white glue your probably good (but I accept no responsibility if I'm wrong :D ) a two part epoxy not good.

Use your best judgment.

Stainless steel screws, are the way to go. There was a thread about this, (beating an old horse) "search is your friend" maybe in the 101 thread or something.

Nate

IMHO, lining the coolerdor just uses up valuable space. Store your cigars in cedar boxes, inside the cooler. I have four coolers like this, and my cigars are in fine shape.... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

IMHO, lining the coolerdor just uses up valuable space. Store your cigars in cedar boxes, inside the cooler. I have four coolers like this, and my cigars are in fine shape.... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.
Ditto.
double ditto
you;ll want to keep them in boxes anyhow to protect the smokes. you also may want to invest in a cedar tray for loose singles. you can grab cedar boxes and your local shop for a buck or so.

Tisk tisk, washing out with bleach is risky. Baking soda and water at most to get the scent out. I wouldn't use glue either, but if the deed is done, well

you're screwed.

You could line the inside of the door, I think most coolers have the little indentions there, cut strips of ceder to fit and screw them in.

if you really want to line the inside, go to home depot and buy a roll of industrial velcro (the industrial stuff is rated for use on boats, so it is semi moisture resistant), no glue to worry about, and easily removable.

if you asolutely insist on the ceder, use screws. My mind screams out no-no-no to perforating the interior, but consider that a coolidor only needs to be mostly air tight, not water tight.

Tisk tisk, washing out with bleach is risky. Baking soda and water at most to get the scent out. I wouldn't use glue either, but if the deed is done, well

you're screwed.

X2. I recently got my coolidor up and going, but was significantly delayed by the scent left by washing out with bleach. I followed the instructions to the letter. So I researched a ton and ended up filling the cooler with newspaper and baking powder. Left it for days, and then it seemed cool.

I think the best solution is to find a cooler that has minimal plastic smell and then just leave it alone. Your cigars and cedar boxes will kick the shit out of any lingering plastic smell.