• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolidor Question, Humi Question

MichiganM

Padron Whore Extraordinaire
Hey everyone,

First a little background. I used to have a small-medium sized collection of about 500 smokes before I "temporarily" stopped smoking. Now that I'm getting back in the hobby all I have left is a desktop humi, which is great for the smokes I'm going to be getting into within a matter of weeks. I need a long term storage solution. When I used to collect I had the multiple desktop setup. So now comes the two questions.

First question. Is there anyway possible (I'm sure I'm the millionth person to wonder) to store a large amount of cigars for a long period of time cheaply without using a coolidor? Cheaply to me is under 150 bucks. The only things I've seen on the entire internet is that Barrister model from JR Cigars for about 100 bucks. Looks large, but to me it really looks like more of a bookcase than a humidor..doesn't seem to have a seal...perhaps someone can educate me on that one as I've seen a member here with a picture of one. The only other solution I've seen is the Vicksburg, but it can only hold 500 cigars according to the vendor...which means it can only hold 300 cigars realistically. That's not a large number. I guess I'm answering my own questions...but perhaps someone has an idea without resorting to a coolidor? Nothing against a coolidor...I just think of "fancy dancy" when I think of cigar storage. To me it's presentation as much as storage. Maybe someone here or a friend of a friend is selling a cabinet humidor? Or maybe I need more education as I've been out of the hobby for over a year.

Second question. For those of you who have made coolidors what did you make the shelves out of when you stand them upright? If I do resort to a coolidor I think the upright positioning is the only way to go, it looks pretty neat. Did you make them out of plywood or spanish cedar? And did you cut them yourselves? Or did you measure the dimensions and have Home Depot cut the wood? I see the coolers that you chose came with the little notches...the shelves are really neat. Just wondering some info on that as I didn't see that info in the article on how to make a coolidor here at CP or at CI.

Sorry for the long winded approach, I just like to be clear in how I present an idea or question. Thanks a ton in advance for any who would be kind enough to repsond. :love:

Jason

Second question. For those of you who have made coolidors what did you make the shelves out of when you stand them upright? If I do resort to a coolidor I think the upright positioning is the only way to go, it looks pretty neat. Did you make them out of plywood or spanish cedar? And did you cut them yourselves? Or did you measure the dimensions and have Home Depot cut the wood? I see the coolers that you chose came with the little notches...the shelves are really neat. Just wondering some info on that as I didn't see that info in the article on how to make a coolidor here at CP or at CI.

Wire closet shelves from Wal-Mart is what I use. Some people do use spanish cedar shelving which is probably a better idea if you can get some.

I have a 100 qt. Coleman cooler, and it has the little 1/2" slots in it. I went to Lowe's and got some 1/2" oak slats (they didn't have cedar) and cut them myself. Works pretty well for me.

MM, I am not a cooler fan because I believe "It's the wood that makes it good!"

I love that spanish cedar smell when I open up my humi. Spend a few hundred and get one of the larger models from Dave at CH.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess nobody is selling a large or cabinet humidor as I seen nothing in the marketplace threads. Ah well :(. But just to let ya know, I have decided to buy the Vicksburg. Even if it doesn't hold the full 500, it should do about 15+ boxes worth...around 400 let's say. That's more than enough to keep me busy for a while. And that'll be time to save up for a Verona or something. I know "this thread is worth nothing without pics" lol....but hey I'm starting over so I'll post a pic of a full humi as soon as it's done. Thanks again!

Jason