• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolidor Question

Gumbeaux

Has anyone ever tried to use one of those 12V coolers you use in your car as a coolidor? I need something to keep the temps down a bit, but don't want to go with a full refrigerator.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if it worked. I'm not sure how these things cool themselves, and how long they would last being run all the time. I would think that with one of those adapters from Radio Shack, you could just plug it into the wall and go. You could always add a thermostat if needed.

I'm also not sure how large you can buy these things.

Never tried one, but you would most likely need something to regulate the temp like a Johnsons control. The thermoelectric coolers usually run 20+ drgrees colder than the outside air if I remember right.

Bill

The one I have condenses water like crazy at times. The water drips down on whatever is in the cooler. Something to think about.

You will definitely want to use some sort of thermostat.

By the time you buy the cooler and A/C adapter you're going to be right at the price for a brand new 12 bottle winecooler. Better yet you may find a used one for half that. The 12v coolers use TE cooling but there's no thermostat, so you'd have to either manually turn it on and off as needed or add one. Now you're up to the cost of an even larger wine cooler.