• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooling A Desktop Humi

SamuraiJack

Has anyone heard of cooling a medium/large desktop humi? I don't think I want to upgrade to a cabinet or wine-o-dor keep my cigars cool. I would also like to keep it accessible (not in some dark/cool corner of my house).

I'm thinking of some kind of rig you could construct out of the thermoelectric coolers in those mini fridges, a small fan, and a temp sensor to trigger it all. It could even be attached to the humi as opposed to being inside it.

Thanks for any input/ideas/dream-shatterings.

It's quite simple. First, you tell your wife how much the cigars in it actually cost. Then, you put it between you two in bed that night. :laugh:

Too much work and money for the desired result. Yes you can do it but you'll find it'll less than presentable for a desk top if you are retrofitting an existing unit. The cheapest way to do this is to put your humidor in a cooler.

Do a search on the subject there is a ton of information so you can make a decision.

You could also buy a small thermoelectric wine cooler (6 bottle?) and convert that into a desktop if you're so concerned about the looks and temp.

Too much work and money for the desired result. Yes you can do it but you'll find it'll less than presentable for a desk top if you are retrofitting an existing unit. The cheapest way to do this is to put your humidor in a cooler.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering if this would work for me this summer with my 50 count desktop. Just pop in in a cooler maybe with a freezer pack or two.
Off to search now! ;)

I recently got a new humi, so I have an older smaller one that I am thinking I could throw some of these types of things in:

http://www.tetech.com/assys/air.shtml

http://www.tetech.com/temp/tc48-20.shtml

Then setup some type of detachable tube that I could attach to my larger desktop humi when I need it cooled. The sensor could go thru the same tube so the sensor is in the larger.

I know this would be a ton of work, and probably not worth it for anything other than the fact that I'm a nerd and would like to see if it could work.

Has anyone heard of cooling a medium/large desktop humi? I don't think I want to upgrade to a cabinet or wine-o-dor keep my cigars cool. I would also like to keep it accessible (not in some dark/cool corner of my house).

I'm thinking of some kind of rig you could construct out of the thermoelectric coolers in those mini fridges, a small fan, and a temp sensor to trigger it all. It could even be attached to the humi as opposed to being inside it.

Thanks for any input/ideas/dream-shatterings.

heheheh, nice one. Only married people would understand that joke.

You can't put a thermo electric cooler completely "in" the humi. Well, actually you can but, the back side of the thermo electric dissipates the heat. The rear of the thermo electric would need to be outside of the unit.

ICE ?rolleyes:

I'm going to try this out as soon as I locate some refreezable ice packs, in my cab and cooler during the day, re freeze at night.

My hygro's have the hi/low temp and humi so I'm going to find out if a couple ice packs double bagged in the humidor's bring the temps down.

Well the double bagged ice pack might work, but I have to also lay it on a towel as it started condensating. Then it got nice and cool last night so I don't know if the ice pack helped, today is nice out as well, this may have to wait for another 90 degree day to come along.