• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"correcting a burn", "tunneling"

Eins

Do I have to mention I'm new to this? I think I sort of know now how to light one up and I know you're supposed to smoke them s l o w l y, which I'm good at. I also turn them with a draw and in between draws.

I have experienced uneven burns, and cigars have gone out on me.
Uneven burns seem to happen, when I don't turn the cigar often enough, and strangely, it is the upper area that doens't burn. I always thought heat rises, so the upper edge would burn best, but it seems to be the other way around.

Anyway, when, at which point, and how do you 'correct a burn'?
And, while we are talking about it, what is tunneling and how do you cope with it?
What else should a newbie know to get better results out of his new hobby?

Thank you!

The bottom will actually burn better, due to there being more oxygen and less smoke, so turn the slower burning portion towards the bottom.

What RH are you storing your cigars at? A higher one will promote poorer burns.

If you smoke it too slowly it will go out too, so you have to balance between too fast and too slow...maybe once a minute at the most, once every 3-5 at the least?(someone help me out here).

What do you use to light your cigar? I found it hard to light with just a regular flame before, and instead used a torch to light the thing, without puffing, btw. Now I find using the a flame easier, I find it good to toast the foot, and singe the wrapper about a 16th to an 8th of an inch back so that the filler has some breathing room.

Tunneling is when the middle burns, but the outer filler, binder and wrapper don't...it sucks, I believe usually is a due to badly constructed cigars.

I touch up my uneven burns with aforementioned torch...I just burn whatever stubborn parts are lagging so the ash is even all around.

Good luck, and if the burn really irks you, just toss the thing and light up another one, life is too short to stress about that. :thumbs:

Like Kento, I just touch up the lagging parts with my torch. Seems to get things evened out and on the right track.

That's good news. I thought it was taboo to touch up an uneven burn.

I love handling my Zippo, so I'll enjoy fondling that and helping my cigar as well. Oh, and before you choke, it is a Zippo with a torch insert :D I love it!

Edited to add that I keep my humis at 65%.

The key I think is how long do your cigars sit in your humi b4 smoking? There have only been 2-3 cigar shops that I have been in that the RH for the cigars has been at %70. Almost all have been at %74 or higher. That being said, if you are storing them at %65, it will take a minimu f 6 monhs before they start smoking "right". And if the wrapper is thicker, it could take longer.

Unfortunately I have learned this the hard way. But here is my 2 cents. If the cigar tunnels, let it go out. Once the cherry is cool to the touch, gently blow out of the cigar to release any stale smoke. Once that is done, re-toast the cigar, then spark it up. You should get a good cherry now.

Emo

Wow, 6 months to adjust from 70+ to 65?

I wonder why my buddy swears by keeping his humi at 75%, and I don't recall him having problems with his burns.

Well, the cigars should change in humidity from the outside to the inside. This means that if you go to a higher humidity, the outside will be wetter than the inside and burn more slowly (tunneling). If you go to a lower humitity, the outside will be drier than the inside and burn more quickly (canoeing).

If you wait long enough the outside and inside will be closer to the same level of humidity.

Your buddy probaby keeps his cigars at the same RH as what he bought them at. I'd say 75% is downright wet and can't imagine it would taste good, but it would probably burn consistently.

Being that I live in south FL, the humidity is high to start with. Therefore I like my cigars on the dry side. If you live in an area where the humidity is low, I am sure a higher RH would be better to some.

Emo

emodx said:
Being that I live in south FL, the humidity is high to start with. Therefore I like my cigars on the dry side. If you live in an area where the humidity is low, I am sure a higher RH would be better to some.

Emo
[snapback]166960[/snapback]​

Exactly my findings when I analyzed preferred RH levels as posted on CP and correlated them with location.

Lighting some will say is not important but i have seen an uneven burn from the tobac getting to burned on one side from lighting. when this happens touch up is hard because the area is hard and stubborn.Usually if you just lightly blow on the end until you have a nice even burn it is avoided.

Tunneling can also be caused by smoking too quickly. The inside stays hotter and burns faster than the outside can keep up with. I've noticed this most when I smoke while commuting home after work. Not always, but sometimes.

Here in Okinawa, the Humi stays at about 70 and it's hard to get it lower because of the ambient humidity. I haven't had many burn problems except teh afore mentioned Tunneling when I go to fast (which I always have a problem, with.... just more-so when I drive).