• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Costa Rica Trip

bigdan1173

Hey guys!

I'll be in Costa Rica in July. Does anyone have suggestions for possible locations to buy cubans? Also, would it just be better to order online?

I've only smoked one in my life, so I'm not sure what to do.

BTW if there is another thread somewhere in the boards let me know. Sorry if I'm repeating old questions.

Check out this link. It will answer most of your questions. Remember forewarned is forearmed.

U.S. Customs

I have heard that the customs officials are becoming EXTREMELY tough on those that bring cigars back in from a country.

Dan your best bet is to find a La Casa del Habano shop. There is a shop in San Jose, heres the info:

City: SAN JOSE
HISPANIDAD 100 MTS ESTE, 100 MTRS NORTE SAN PEDRO DE MONTE DE OCA
Phone: 506. 280 7931

Your are pretty much guaranteed the real thing. Smoke to your hearts content there, but don't risk trying to bring some back home. Enjoy your trip.

If you have never been to Costa Rica you are in for a treat. I have a friend that goes there every year to kayak and the pictures he brings back are breathtaking.

Haven't yet had the fortune to vacation in Costa Rica, bt have been told that many, many fakes are present. Be careful what you buy and no need to risk bringing some back. Just smoke while your there and when you get back order form a reliable source from the safety of your home. :)

Okay,

I didn't realize that customs was cracking down. I won't even take the chance at bringing some back. I can always order online right?

I'll go by the store in San Jose. I hope I can find it.

I've been to Costa Rica before. I went in 2000 for six weeks to study Spanish. It was fantastic. What can I say, the beer is cheap and the women are beautiful.

Take a box and bands over with you and reband them yourself. I think you need a receipt to bring them back over without the outrageous fee. Otherwise take the box and bands with you, and mail them back home. Make sure to take plenty of customs forms from the post office with you. Mail them back, claime them as t-shirts, souvenirs, etc, just not alcohol or tobaco. Don't put a rediculously low/high value....Say $100 or so. That's my 2 cents.

Emo

Emo,

Is that something you've done with success in the past? And when you say boxes and bands what do you mean? I assume you mean cigar boxes, but what are the bands? Do I need to get the customs forms here in the US or are they available in Costa Rica?

Above all else, will I save myself any dough if I mail them to myself? If not it may be easier to just order them online.

Thanks,

Dan

Order online. Mailing from foreign countries is very dangerous because the postal workers know you are a tourist. Even if you re-band and re-box cigars, customs can still confiscate them. You have the burden of proof, not them. It's so much easier to just order from home. Just relax on your vacation and don't worry about getting cigars back and forth. From what I have heard you will have a harder time finding legitimate Havana cigars anyway.