• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

counterfit cubans

Some folks like them, some folks don't. I have had one and I thought it was pretty good. I believe it was the torpedo. I have been meaning to pick up a fiver and smoke a few more of them.

The latest edition of the Cigar Magazine that JR's puts out, gives them a pretty good rating. They also rate them by "value" which includes cost. They rated very well in value. I just got the magazine yesterday and it's at home, so I can't quote the facts and figures. (In general, the less expensive cigars do better in the value category).

There is also a cigar named with a similar name (from JR's website):

GENUINE PRE-EMBARGO COUNTERFEIT CUBANS CIGARS
Handmade NIC
Wrapper: ECSU Binder: ECSU Filler: HON/NIC
Medium-Full Bodied

Also from JR's (for comparison):

GENUINE COUNTERFEIT CUBANS CIGARS
Handmade NIC
Medium-Full Bodied

ECSU - Ecuadorian Sumatran

Might be interesting to do a taste test between the two.

Anybody smoked both of these? Want to comment?

I have only had one fake, that i knew about. It was suspect box of Cohiba Panatelas, picked up from a Cuban, that works at a resort (who's cousin is.. that knows.... :sign: ). I knew all well too well to buy only from govt stores, but what the hell, they were $25 US / box. For a buck a piece, they had a tight draw, which was fixed by lowering the RH to 60%. Otherwise, it was missing some spice, and the full body that i found in a real same sized Cohiba Panatela i obtained legit, for comaprison.

Would i buy again? yes, if i had the room (50 cigs per peson and there was someone coming back without their limit)

Sunward said:
I have only had one fake, that i knew about. It was suspect box of Cohiba Panatelas, picked up from a Cuban, that works at a resort (who's cousin is.. that knows.... :sign: ). I knew all well too well to buy only from govt stores, but what the hell, they were $25 US / box. For a buck a piece, they had a tight draw, which was fixed by lowering the RH to 60%. Otherwise, it was missing some spice, and the full body that i found in a real same sized Cohiba Panatela i obtained legit, for comaprison.

Would i buy again? yes, if i had the room (50 cigs per peson and there was someone coming back without their limit)
[snapback]245366[/snapback]​

LOL the cigar he is talking about has the BRAND NAME "Cuban Counterfeits" perfectly legal.

Wurm said:
Sunward said:
I have only had one fake, that i knew about. It was suspect box of Cohiba Panatelas, picked up from a Cuban, that works at a resort (who's cousin is.. that knows.... :sign:  ). I knew all well too well to buy only from govt stores, but what the hell, they were $25 US / box. For  a buck a piece, they had a tight draw, which was fixed by lowering the RH to 60%. Otherwise, it was missing some spice, and the full body that i found in a real same sized Cohiba Panatela i obtained legit, for comaprison.

LOL the cigar he is talking about has the BRAND NAME "Cuban Counterfeits" perfectly legal.
[snapback]245369[/snapback]​

How can you tell?

JK

JimK said:
Wurm said:
Sunward said:
I have only had one fake, that i knew about. It was suspect box of Cohiba Panatelas, picked up from a Cuban, that works at a resort (who's cousin is.. that knows.... :sign:  ). I knew all well too well to buy only from govt stores, but what the hell, they were $25 US / box. For  a buck a piece, they had a tight draw, which was fixed by lowering the RH to 60%. Otherwise, it was missing some spice, and the full body that i found in a real same sized Cohiba Panatela i obtained legit, for comaprison.

[snapback]245369[/snapback]​

How can you tell?

JK
[snapback]245384[/snapback]​

Very easily... if he posted this in the right forum ;)

jgohlke said:
Some folks like them, some folks don't. I have had one and I thought it was pretty good. I believe it was the torpedo. I have been meaning to pick up a fiver and smoke a few more of them.

The latest edition of the Cigar Magazine that JR's puts out, gives them a pretty good rating. They also rate them by "value" which includes cost. They rated very well in value. I just got the magazine yesterday and it's at home, so I can't quote the facts and figures. (In general, the less expensive cigars do better in the value category).

There is also a cigar named with a similar name (from JR's website):

GENUINE PRE-EMBARGO COUNTERFEIT CUBANS CIGARS
Handmade NIC
Medium-Full Bodied

Also from JR's (for comparison):

GENUINE COUNTERFEIT CUBANS CIGARS
Handmade NIC
Medium-Full Bodied

ECSU - Ecuadorian Sumatran

Also a big clue :whistling:

You may be right, but his post could be taken either way.

JK

cloudsofcuba said:
Sorry guys. I was talking about the ones from JRCigar. :D
[snapback]245643[/snapback]​

I got a couple of these in my newbie sampler and loved them. Very smooth, good full flavor, and almost a hint of sweetness.

And of course hints of leather and coffee, a nice silky oily wrapper, with nice creamy smoke.
:sign: :sign: :sign:

I like the pre-embargos a lot...good everyday smoke at something around $9.75 for a 5er from JR. :thumbs:

Jeff B. said:
I like the pre-embargos a lot...good everyday smoke at something around $9.75 for a 5er from JR. :thumbs:
[snapback]247088[/snapback]​

What is the difference between the regular and pre-embargos?

The few i have smoked i really have not enjoyed. I dont understand the concept anyway, just get some real ones or smoke the wonderful domestics that can be had these days

LouieNY said:
The few i have smoked i really have not enjoyed. I dont understand the concept anyway, just get some real ones or smoke the wonderful domestics that can be had these days
[snapback]247256[/snapback]​

The concept is marketing. They make no pretension of being actual cuban cigars, they are just saying they are as good as cubans. it is just a way of trying to differentiate themselves from from every other similar non-cuban out there. Call it cheesy marketing if you want, but I think they are as good as most other 2-3 dollar smokes out there.

:blush: :blush:

OPPPPPSSSSSSSS!!!!.........
Guess I'm FUBAR?....
It was a Dark Stormy night when I first Read the post,
And a Large Black Bird kept Telling me "Never More"...
SORRY!.. But still a good site? Huh?..
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: