• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Counterfit $

cigars&rum

"I changed my profile Rod"
Reaction score
There is a very good read on Counterit Currency (US) in the most recent Rolling Stone Magazine. The cover has the "Wedding Crashers" on the cover, I think it is the July issue. This is a must read for all. Being very fond of coin collecting and old U.S. paper currency I feel I have a good sense of spoting the real deal and a fake, I now have been humbled by this most recent article in the Roling Stone Magazine. Everyone should take a look at this article.

C&R

I'm not going to go out and buy an RS, so how about the Cliff's Notes?

Lumberg said:
I'm not going to go out and buy an RS, so how about the Cliff's Notes?
[snapback]203961[/snapback]​

:0 Opps! No problem. It's about a counterfiter who found a way of defeating almost all of the securty measures which are in U.S currency notes, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 dollar bills. There is the paper which is very hard to match, the hollogram, visible on the right front. The ink, the security thread and the microprinting. The most difficult to for the counterfiter was the security thread and the microprinting. The paper was actually from the Chicago Tribune, it withstood the pen test. The guy made his own securtity threads and found the ink close enough to match from an old automobile. He later sketched the hollographic image for each bill and placed it between to sheets of the paper from the Tribune. He would send freinds down to the Tribune to ask for left over rolls of paper, called butts, and are easy to carry. He would have them saying it was for a school project, filling his demand for clean paper. He would then spray an adhesive to both sides of the paper, then bonding the two together, with the sketch and the microthread carefully placed in between the two sheets. The only thing he couldn't perfect is the microprinting. He would use Adobe photoshop to make it as close as possible to pass. This is pretty much the only way you will be able to if the bill was fake.

When checking a bill always look and feel for the security thread, even though good copiers can actually copy the thread, looking to see if the thread is present isn't enough, you still need to feel for the thread. However some bills are so worn from circulation it is difficult to get a good feel, go as far as tearing a small area of the bill were the thread is to see if it is in the bill. Also check for the microprinting with a magnifying aound the portriat of each president.

C&R

Sounds like a big pain in the ass to make. I think I'd rather make it the old fashioned way.

atuck said:
Sounds like a big pain in the ass to make. I think I'd rather make it the old fashioned way.
[snapback]204076[/snapback]​

Don't get me wrong, I definitly do not advocate counterfiting of any kind, I found the article an interest of mine because I collect old money. Just giving a heads up for those who are also interested.

C&R

I had a 20 a few months ago that the lady at the airport wouldn't take because the ink turned black with that pen they use. I had just gotten it from an ATM and brought it to my bank next time I went. It was realy as far as anyone could tell. I guess nothing's foolproof.

I think he's talking about the little strip you can see if you hold a bill up to the light. It will say US20, or something like that depending on the bill. It's about a quarter of the bill away from the edge running the whole width.

Thanks for the heads up on that article that was a very interesting story. Last year I was working a summer job in retail and a couple of guys got one of our sales associates to accept a fake $50, that was really a mess. We had to call the cops, who had to call the secret service, who had to call us in for questioning about the guys, in addition to having to report that as coming up $50 short for the night to our area manager and the company hq. Man Im glad I was just working there for the summer. After all that though these intricate counterfeit ring stories are still interesting.

CYG

Nathan Rahl said:
Where is this security thread suppose to be, and how should it feel?
[snapback]204309[/snapback]​
Hold it up to a light, you will need to check both left and right of the bill because the strip is in different places on each denomination. Along with this in mind the thread will be in different areas of the bill(s), with each new style note. Once you see the thread, fold the bill on each side of the thread. The thread will be easier to feel.

C&R

Nathan Rahl said:

I'd like to show a photo of how a bill looks when it's folded. Can anyone help with how I would upload a picture?

C&R

cigars&rum said:
Nathan Rahl said:

I'd like to show a photo of how a bill looks when it's folded. Can anyone help with how I would upload a picture?

C&R
[snapback]204379[/snapback]​

Use Photo Bucket to upload your picture, then paste the link here (or use the image code in the reply window to make it show inline with your post)

IGWANAROB, thank you! Here is a $50.00 note folded on both sides of the note, you will be able to feel the thread quite easily once the thread has been located.

C&R

6f5a8bad.jpg

Hey IgwanaRob, this one is for you pal. This is what I like to call "Big Money".
The stick is an H.Upmann #2. Thanks for the help.

The Note is an 1923 Silver Certificate, they are refered to as Horse Blankets.

C&R

DSC02553-a.jpg

Lumberg said:
Great pics. Thanks for illuminating us, c&r.
[snapback]204853[/snapback]​
My pleasure, by the way I'm, diggin' photobucket!

McKenzie