• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Crooked Arrows - lacrosse in a movie

punk_lawyer

Habeas Punkus
Crooked Arrows opened nationwide on June 1 and has been widely noted as the first mainstream movie about the sport of lacrosse. The other story line in the movie shows Native American culture in a positive light. I saw the movie this morning in an outing that I arranged for our local youth lacrosse club. If you have any interest in the sport of lacrosse or in Native American culture in the Northeast then you should check out this movie.

I would be the first to point out that this movie was never intended to have Academy Award aspirations but it's a feel good movie that does a pretty nice job showing off a great sport. The Crooked Arrows team players are, in fact, Native American lacrosse players - NOT ACTORS. They did an admirable job with their speaking parts and a very good job with their action sequences. I am probably a bit biased because a close friend of mine - who I have known and hung out with since high school - wrote the screenplay. None the less, lacrosse folks all over the country have embraced this movie and I have too.

Which of you have a lacrosse playing connection?

I first picked up a stick in 1985 thanks to playing at a camp in Maryland. I played through a couple of years in high school, for the club team in college, and for a couple of years after college. I have always loved the sport. I still have my 'antique' sticks that I had from my first days of playing...they're heavy, ugly, and have none of the trappings of modern sticks. My son is a hard hitting player now and I am coaching at the youth level. Long Live Lacrosse!!!

They filmed this up here in MA and I met some of the Indian guys on a night out in Boston. They said they had a lot of fun.

Good Times.

My wife's father played for Harvard, I think it was just a pick up league back in the 50's. Great game!

I look forward to checking this film out. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm looking forward to watching it. Might wait until after it comes out on DVD though. I too love lacrosse. I was excited to see a movie like this make it to the theaters