• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Crown Royal Black

Doc Wylie

Curmudgeon

My friends know me as a Crown Royal junkie from way back. Being on the US-Canadian border, I've loved this fine whiskey since before it was cool. Although I generally eschew something when it becomes popular, I've stayed loyal to CR due to the fact that I just plain LIKE it. My good friend Gary, aka Ironpeddler, knows of my lust for CR and when he got his hands on a bottle of the new just-to-be-released "Black" version (thanks to another fine BOTL, Seth "srnadel" of Shopper's Vineyard fame) he knew that there was no one else in his ever expanding circle of compatriots who would appreciate it more than me. :whistling: So... when the box containing this interesting whiskey turned up on my doorstep I knew just what to do with it.

The box is black, the label is black and even the ubiquitous velvet bag is black...the whiskey itself isn't quite black but it's pretty darn close. More like black coffee in color, but definitely different from it's more amber colored older brother. According to Seth's website, it retails for about 30 bucks a bottle so the price is pretty reasonable. My smeller doesn't work so good anymore so I can't say if the bouquet was any different. The taste, however, is. The maker touts it as a more robust and full-bodied whiskey with a higher proof (90 versus 80). It's all that and more. I'm not here to talk about fancy flavors and such. I'll leave that to the so-called whiskey experts. What I will say is that if you like regular old CR then you'll probably love CR Black. It's got enough kick to let you know it's not the other stuff and the flavor is deeper and richer. If your tastes run to other liquors..well, then I guess it won't thrill you. Me, though, it thrilled! Nuff said.

Thanks again Gary.. and thanks to you as well, Seth! You both made an old commoner very happy, if not just a wee bit tipsy! :thumbs:

Nice! I loves me some Crown as well and will definitely have to pick up a bottle soon. Way to play Gary, awesome!

I saw the special Seth ran and have been really wanting to pick one up. My local has it and I'll probably get one in the next few weeks. Looks like something right up my alley since I'm a fan of Crown and I love bourbon.

Thanks for the review...makes it even harder to hold out on buying one now.

I'm not a big fan or added color as this has to have but I'm curious if the extra proof will make enough of a difference to me. Right now Cask 16 is the one that does it for me.

Nice review Tom. I have not yet ventured into the Canadian wiskey, I'm still playing with different single malt varieties. Every time I go to BevMo and look at all the selections I cannot afford I look at Crown and think I should give it a go.
I think I will now.

Thanks to CP for helping me spend my retirement before it's time!

I'm not a big fan or added color as this has to have but I'm curious if the extra proof will make enough of a difference to me. Right now Cask 16 is the one that does it for me.

I believe these were aged in charred oak barrels like they do with bourbon so I would think the color comes from the barrel but they may have added some color to it. I agree Cask 16 is a damn fine whisky though...

Thanx for the review. I am a lover of Johnnie and CR and I seen this in the local shop a few weeks ago. I was drooling, unfortunately it was $50 and didnt have the change to spare. Now that I read the review I am going to have to wait till my pocket gets full again (which might be a little longer since I am jobless at the moment) and get me a bottle, while I save up for the bottle of johnie blue.

I'm glad you got the bottle and enjoyed the whisky. It's a good story, actually. Gary had come into the store to pick up a bottle he had ordered. That was the first time we met. He was nice enough to give me a Fuente and I gave him the sample bottle of the Crown Royal Black that I had just gotten a few hours earlier. Immediately he told me he had a friend that loved Crown Royal. I pretty much figured that was where the bottle was headed. Gary then came in a few weeks later and he told me he shipped it to his friend, which was cool of him to do. Personally, I was shocked and happy to see a post on that same bottle. I get a sample bottle and don't think much about it. It's nice when it goes to someone who will enjoy it.

Glad you enjoyed it Tom...I couldn't have drank it in good conscience knowing how much you enjoy CR! ....especially AFTER I told you I had it! :laugh: I did bait you with that phone conversation just a bit!

I did ask Seth if it was cool to do this, as it was a gift from him, and he was all for it! So my thanks go to Seth for offering it to me.

That's what it's all about fellas....

A local bar had CR black advertised today so I tried some. It's very mellow. I'll have to try it again some time to get a better feel for it.

Tip: to get a better feel for CR Black, I would hold the bottle differently or use your other hand
wink.gif

Just got a bottle of this today and had a glass with a cigar. It's incredibly smooth but with a good amount of bourbon type flavors like caramel and toffee. I can see myself buying this regularly to drink while smoking a nice medium cigar or even just to sip on. Good stuff.

I got to try this last night at a cigar event and a Crown Royal tasting in the Foundation Room, Mandalay Bay. Also got to sample CR XR, Cask no.16, and Reserve. Nice place and very nice whiskey. The story on the XR is that the factory that produced this blend burned down and it will no longer be available after sales are complete. Off topic a little but I found it interesting.

PJ

I got to try this last night at a cigar event and a Crown Royal tasting in the Foundation Room, Mandalay Bay. Also got to sample CR XR, Cask no.16, and Reserve. Nice place and very nice whiskey. The story on the XR is that the factory that produced this blend burned down and it will no longer be available after sales are complete. Off topic a little but I found it interesting.

PJ

Interesting. My local has it on special right now.

PJ

Interesting. My local has it on special right now.
What was that special price Khari? Around here it's $110 (Sale in Jan) to $140 a bottle.

PJ
PJ...found this on the XR on Seth's site...along the lines of what you were told.

"Crown Royal XR's rare whiskies were saved from the venerable Waterloo Distillery before it closed in 1991. Shortly after closing, a devastating fire destroyed everything at this legendary site except for some of the exceptional whiskies that were saved. Crown Royal XR's distinguished character is attributed to a process whereby select grains were perfectly blended together to create a sublime liquid that is impeccably crafted and remarkably smooth."

$95 is a great price on the XR. Too bad it isn't worth it. Old Canadian just isn't worth that kind of price unless it is some 25yo rye that you can't buy in the US.

Just picked up a bottle of this last night. Can't wait to open it up and try it!

$95 is a great price on the XR. Too bad it isn't worth it. Old Canadian just isn't worth that kind of price unless it is some 25yo rye that you can't buy in the US.
Seems so.... the more I read about it, the more it sounded like a Pete Johnson/ Tatuaje marketing tale.