• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cruzado Marelas

handypilot

Cruzado Marelas
Size: 5 5/8 x 46
Vitola: Perfecto
Blend: Nicaragua Puro - 2 Parts Criollo '98 / 1 Part Corojo '06

This stick was gifted to me by NorCal_Aaron, so I thought it should be my next review.

Prelight: A distinct barnyard smell, prelight draw was good with sweet tobacco flavor, ok construction, and nice semi-smooth wrapper and shape. There was a little too much vegetable gum to hold the foot together, which cause some initial burn issues.

1/3: Initial tastes of sweet chocolate with a little spice, and smooth. Draw is near perfect once the foot burns down a bit. Burn is pretty even so far with one correction from a poor initial lighting. The initial lighting flamed up a bit around the wrapper from vegetable gum burning. Smooth and sweet without any spice now. Ash holding at 1/2" to 3/4" Very much like some of the Illusiones with flavors more subdued and lacking the distinct flavor floral/earth sweetness - More of a caramel sweet.
Burn a little uneven, and needing another correction.

2/3: Starting to get hints of that Illusione earthy sweetness now. Burn uneven again and requiring a touchup. Ash holding on about 1". Aroma is very nice and sweet, smells like something sweet baking. The Illusione taste has gone away, but flavor has gotten more carmely sweeter with a near perfect burn now and a perfect draw. Very smoothy and creamy, no spice.

3/3: Spice has come back a bit. A little bitter after a relight, but that didn't last too long. I did notice, along with my wife, a little nutmeg aroma

Marelas.jpg

Overall: This was a nice cigar with regards to flavor and complexity. The flavors came in and out, and sometimes paralleled Illusione - this must be the similar blends of the cigars but the different ratios. Took me about 1:15 to smoke, but takes me a while. Most will probably smoke this in 1:00. There were some issues with the burn and there was a couple relights. I attribute this to my humi being slightly high. I dry-boxed it but only for an hour. I'll give this stick another try, but I'm not convinced yet of a regular stock. To be continued....

Tim, another great review. I have to revisit this smoke, I have not smoked one in sometime. I hope you enjoy the others.

Nice review! I recently recieved a Cruzado and hadn't heard of it. Knowing a little more now I'm anxious to try it!

Nice review! I haven't tried or even heard of these before.

I guess its another one that I have to down on the list of ones to try!

Thanks Tim!

I got caught up in the Illusione frenzy and when I heard these were made by Dion, I bought a box of the Domenicos (corona gorda) and Marelas (perfectos).

After smoking/gifting half a box of each, I still was on the fence about them. Now after about a year of downtime I can say I like them. :thumbs:

Not as strong as an Illusione, but great for a midday smoke.

Great review Tim and cool pics :thumbs: