• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuaba

FatherTiresius

Watcher of the Skies
I was wondering if anybody here had ever tried Cuabas? This brand is a fairly new one out of Cuba (1996 or so). They are distinctive in that the entire line are all torpedos, which is rare in ISOMs as far as I can tell. Also the prices on these are pretty reasonable. Are they hand made or only hand rolled? What's the opinion on Cuabas around here? Tia...

cuab.gif

Actually they are all perfectos, not torpedos, but that is semantics. LOL I love the Cuaba Distinguisado (sp?) from the millennium jar release, they are really coming around. The divino is nice if you want a quick jolt of nicotine. The other sizes can go by the wayside, IMHO.

Well I like the Traditionales for a good 45 minute one dimensional earthy smoke myself. They have no real flavor change... but I like the one it has... so what the hey! I guess I'm not as snobby as I thought I was ;)

Actually they are all perfectos, not torpedos, but that is semantics.
Ok, enlighten me. I thought torpedos were cigars that had a rounded head, a bulge in the middle and a tapered foot (it looks like a torpedo in other words). Otoh, I thought perfectos were straight-sided but had the little nipple tip (eg AF Hemi). Is this not the case?

I do know that a lot of what they call torpedos these days are really pyramids or belicosos. Not that it really matters, just curious.

Figuardos, or "irregular" shaped Cigars are a little better defined. The smallest is the Belicoso — a small tapered cigar with a rounded head (not pointed) and a larger foot. Next are the Pyramids, tapering from a large foot to a small head. A "true" pyramid always has a pointed head. Although many smokers call a large pyramid a torpedo, a "true" torpedo has a large foot, smaller, pointed head, and a slight bulge in the middle. The Perfecto is tapered on both ends to a smaller size than it's straight middle section — a classic "cigar shape". Finally, there's the Diademas, the giant of cigars. These are 8 inches or greater.

Ok, that's from the FAQ, thanks Joe. Here's what I was going on in my original statement (from an on-line retailer's web site):
Cuaba also marked the relaunch of the Havana's traditional torpedo shape, which largely went out of fashion in the 1930s.
Which brings to mind a different question....did (naval) torpedos exist in the '30s? If not, what were the cigars called back then?

I think the perfecto size was at one time called a torpedo. To get 100% technical on the Cuaba line the vitola names and sizes are:

Distinguidos: Romeo
Divinos: Petit Bouquet
Exclusivo: Exquisito
Generoso: Generoso
Tradicionales: Favorito