• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban cigars to be removed from production in 2009

Didn't find this information elsewhere, thought you might find it interesting.
Here's the list of cigars that will be removed from production in 2009:

* Bolivar - Bonitas
* Bolivar - Inmensas
* H Upmann - Monarcas
* Hoyo De Monterrey - Hoyo Du Roi
* Partagas - Princess
* Punch - Coronas
* Punch - Margaritas
* Punch - Petit Punch
* Punch - Super Seleccion No. 1
* El Rey del Mundo - Lunch Club

Why do they always pick on the great, small cigars I like? :(

It just goes to show us (again) how seriously the Cuban Government is taking the cigar business over the last 7-8 years....even longer when you go back to them adding some new brands in the 90s.

They don't want to waste a single cigar leaf on a vitola that won't sell/appeal to a broad market. They are much more aware now of the changing tastes of the buying consumer then they ever were. Not such a bad thing though.

Cuban cigar making was steeped in tradition for 100 years, now it based on sales.

It just goes to show us (again) how seriously the Cuban Government is taking the cigar business over the last 7-8 years....even longer when you go back to them adding some new brands in the 90s.

They don't want to waste a single cigar leaf on a vitola that won't sell/appeal to a broad market. They are much more aware now of the changing tastes of the buying consumer then they ever were. Not such a bad thing though.

Cuban cigar making was steeped in tradition for 100 years, now it based on sales.

I would say the change is more due to Altadis than the Cubans. Once Altadis began running the sales part of the business is when all the discontinuations and special releases picked up steam. But, I don't think the Cubans care so much that they want to try and reverse the trends of mass marketing cigars.

Back