• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cubans and non-cubans

JDriver77

Smoke like a Sailor
No, I'm not trying to get a hold of Cubans. I'm currently deployed to NAVY Customs in Kuwait where 90% of the troops returning home come through us. We are constantly taking "Cuban" cigars from soldiers as they are illegal. I've come to realize that we may be taking a fair number of cigars that are Cuban Seed cigars (terminology on the labels can "sound" like their from Cuba) or brands that are made in Cuba as well as other countries, Ex: Romeo Y Juliets. My question is, are there any selective terms to look for on the labels of cigars distinguishing a Cuban from a non-Cuban, or even cigar appearance? Ex: Habana (Cuban Seed) vs. Habano (Cuban). Or is it just a matter of knowing the brands?
-This may read as a confusing question and may be somewhat difficult to answer, any help is appreciated. I know I would be mad if some uneducated customs agent took my cigars which I knew to be perfectly legal.

No, I'm not trying to get a hold of Cubans. I'm currently deployed to NAVY Customs in Kuwait where 90% of the troops returning home come through us. We are constantly taking "Cuban" cigars from soldiers as they are illegal. I've come to realize that we may be taking a fair number of cigars that are Cuban Seed cigars (terminology on the labels can "sound" like their from Cuba) or brands that are made in Cuba as well as other countries, Ex: Romeo Y Juliets. My question is, are there any selective terms to look for on the labels of cigars distinguishing a Cuban from a non-Cuban, or even cigar appearance? Ex: Habana (Cuban Seed) vs. Habano (Cuban). Or is it just a matter of knowing the brands?
-This may read as a confusing question and may be somewhat difficult to answer, any help is appreciated. I know I would be mad if some uneducated customs agent took my cigars which I knew to be perfectly legal.
Probably shouldn't post this, but I will anyway. Being a military brat, I ask, does it really matter which are Cubans and which are not? The gentlemen and women that are having their cigars taken away have been over in Iraq fighting for your and I's freedom. I get to sit on my back porch in the most beautiful country, smoking my cigars safely, because of what these men and women do for me. Speeding is illegal, and yet I see police look the other way. I see police speeding, yet I look the other way. It is not like they are bringing heroin or opium back into the country. If they want to bring back 5, 10, 15 or 20 "Cuban" cigars to enjoy with their family or friends, my opinion, they deserve the right to.

However, to be nice and answer your question about telling the difference, Cuban cigars will have a picture of Fidel Castro on them. If you do not see his picture, they are not from Cuba and there is no need to confiscate them.

Thank you to all the men and women of the Armed Forces for everything you do for us.

Probably shouldn't post this, but I will anyway. Being a military brat, I ask, does it really matter which are Cubans and which are not? The gentlemen and women that are having their cigars taken away have been over in Iraq fighting for your and I's freedom. I get to sit on my back porch in the most beautiful country, smoking my cigars safely, because of what these men and women do for me. Speeding is illegal, and yet I see police look the other way. I see police speeding, yet I look the other way. It is not like they are bringing heroin or opium back into the country. If they want to bring back 5, 10, 15 or 20 "Cuban" cigars to enjoy with their family or friends, my opinion, they deserve the right to.

However, to be nice and answer your question about telling the difference, Cuban cigars will have a picture of Fidel Castro on them. If you do not see his picture, they are not from Cuba and there is no need to confiscate them.

Thank you to all the men and women of the Armed Forces for everything you do for us.
Sorry, I forgot. There is another Cuban Cigar, it is called "898 Collection", this is the only Cuban cigar that does not have the picture on it, but you should definitely make sure that all of these cigars are confiscated and do not make it into the country.

This is not a political debate question and politics are not to be discussed in the forums. Stay on topic. I'm quite sure all Cubans don't have Fidel's image, actually I have yet to see one with his image from the research I've attempted to do so far. Maybe back in the day that was a feature, but I don't believe that is applied anymore.

KChiefsfan, I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but that is patently false.

Cigars made in Cuba will have "Habana" and sometimes "Cuba" on the band. This is a pretty good reference to check out the bands of various lines coming out of Cuba. A cigar touting "Cuban seed" is not illegal to purchase by Americans. I guess I should say not illegal for citizens, I'm not sure if the military people are under the same constraints but I would assume you are. Many legal cigars tout "Cuban seed" in order to get you to believe they are like Cuban cigars. There is nothing illegal about that. Altadis USA owns the domestic name on some older, Cuban brands such as Saint Luis Rey, Montecristo, H. Upmann, Romeo Y Julietta and Trinidad. They are all perfectly legal to purchase and possess. I know the boxes of these legal cigars say "Dominican Republic" on them but I'm not sure if the country of origin appears on the band of the cigar as well or not. The best way to distinguish would be that Cuban cigars will have "Habana" on the band, legal cigars will not.

Question for you, what is your policy when you come across an unbanded cigar?

KChiefsfan, I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but that is patently false.

Cigars made in Cuba will have "Habana" and sometimes "Cuba" on the band. This is a pretty good reference to check out the bands of various lines coming out of Cuba. A cigar touting "Cuban seed" is not illegal to purchase by Americans. I guess I should say not illegal for citizens, I'm not sure if the military people are under the same constraints but I would assume you are. Many legal cigars tout "Cuban seed" in order to get you to believe they are like Cuban cigars. There is nothing illegal about that. Altadis USA owns the domestic name on some older, Cuban brands such as Saint Luis Rey, Montecristo, H. Upmann, Romeo Y Julietta and Trinidad. They are all perfectly legal to purchase and possess. I know the boxes of these legal cigars say "Dominican Republic" on them but I'm not sure if the country of origin appears on the band of the cigar as well or not. The best way to distinguish would be that Cuban cigars will have "Habana" on the band, legal cigars will not.

Question for you, what is your policy when you come across an unbanded cigar?

Yes, the term of "Habana" was confusing because it can be found on both Cubans and legal cigars made with grown Cuban seed tobacco. I understand the legality of "cuban seed" cigars as I have quite a few in my humidor. That aside, that chart you linked me to will become excellent source material, thankyou very much for that. And to answer your question, any unbanded cigars are automatically confiscated, as there is really no way to tell what they are.

There is no doubt our military deserves all the props for the job they're doing. But - that does not take away from the fact that possession of Cuban cigars by any US citizen, regardless where they're located, is illegal. Until such time that Congress and the President remove the "Trading with the Enemy" Act, it will continue to be illegal. Agree with the politics or not - it is what it is and all US Citizens must comply. Certainly our soldiers have access to some very incredible non-Cuban cigars to enjoy during their down time! And I applaud JDriver's desire to prevent confiscation of any cigar which is not of Cuban origin, so that he does not unecessarily inconvenience our troops.

JDriver - Just out of morbid curiosity more than anything else - are the soldiers in any way sanctioned if they are found to be in possession of Cuban cigars? Thanks!

There is no doubt our military deserves all the props for the job they're doing. But - that does not take away from the fact that possession of Cuban cigars by any US citizen, regardless where they're located, is illegal. Until such time that Congress and the President remove the "Trading with the Enemy" Act, it will continue to be illegal. Agree with the politics or not - it is what it is and all US Citizens must comply. Certainly our soldiers have access to some very incredible non-Cuban cigars to enjoy during their down time! And I applaud JDriver's desire to prevent confiscation of any cigar which is not of Cuban origin, so that he does not unecessarily inconvenience our troops.

JDriver - Just out of morbid curiosity more than anything else - are the soldiers in any way sanctioned if they are found to be in possession of Cuban cigars? Thanks!

The only real things that military are held liable for if they come through NAVY customs, are explosives, illegal drugs, and purposely hidden ammunition/weapons, apart from that, it seems many are in such a rush to get home, that they don't really consider what would be allowed. We're technically suspose to hold them liable for anything and everything, but we'll never actually do that. Many of us know where their coming from. A number of us have been there.

I found everything I needed to clarify differences from the link posted above, Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Red Herring?

Red Herring?
I'm sure it was meant to be "half-joking". The other half being the poetic justice which may have resulted if it was believed. ;)

The only real things that military are held liable for if they come through NAVY customs, are explosives, illegal drugs, and purposely hidden ammunition/weapons, apart from that, it seems many are in such a rush to get home, that they don't really consider what would be allowed. We're technically suspose to hold them liable for anything and everything, but we'll never actually do that. Many of us know where their coming from. A number of us have been there.

I found everything I needed to clarify differences from the link posted above, Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Phew... That's what I thought - and very glad to see they're not being fined and/or exposed to other potential OFAC sanctions! Thanks!

If the guys aren't trying to hide them or send them home then they are asking for it. Customs on most Navy ships is a non-issue. I have been on 3 deployments and have yet to see a customs agent try and really search the ship- granted I' stationed on Submarines so they can't exactly go everywhere. If that's your job to be an agent then it goes without saying that you get paid to do your duty- hats off to you for asking the question!

Wow, I didn't know that they snagged unbanded cigars. Is that just a Navy customs thing, or standard for customs searches everywhere?

On a side note, I just got back from Japan, where I enjoyed several nice ISOM smokes (particularly the RA Pacific Exclusive figurado, wow was it good). I also brought lots of my own so I didn't have to pay through the nose for my regulars. I brought half of them back, luckily no unbanded ones if this is policy. Did you know that the band from an Oliva Serie V belicoso fits PERFECTLY on a Behike 52?

Wow, I didn't know that they snagged unbanded cigars. Is that just a Navy customs thing, or standard for customs searches everywhere?

On a side note, I just got back from Japan, where I enjoyed several nice ISOM smokes (particularly the RA Pacific Exclusive figurado, wow was it good). I also brought lots of my own so I didn't have to pay through the nose for my regulars. I brought half of them back, luckily no unbanded ones if this is policy. Did you know that the band from an Oliva Serie V belicoso fits PERFECTLY on a Behike 52?

While working as my Units Re-Deployment/ Customs point of contact, it was explained to me that any unbanded cigar should be confiscated. It was also supposed to be the police of the Army Postal Service. Please notice I said SHOULD and SUPPOSED....

Customs / Inspection / Law Enforcement are hard jobs to carry out when you are working with America's finest, even if you are one of them....

Tim

Well I can tell you from experience that almost all of the cigars that our Warfighters are departing Iraq with are FAKE. I totally understand that your duty is first and foremost but your unit/COC does need to realize that you guys are spending whatever amount of manpower/hours administering the confiscation of Fake Cuban Cigars. Yes I do understand that fake Cubans are also Illegal just thought I'd pass the info.

Well I can tell you from experience that almost all of the cigars that our Warfighters are departing Iraq with are FAKE. I totally understand that your duty is first and foremost but your unit/COC does need to realize that you guys are spending whatever amount of manpower/hours administering the confiscation of Fake Cuban Cigars. Yes I do understand that fake Cubans are also Illegal just thought I'd pass the info.

What makes them fake, are they being rolled with Honduran tobacco?
If it is the band, and the fact they the R&J was not rolled at the R&J factory, but somewhere else in Cuba, then they are in fact REAL Cuban cigars.....Just not the one they are pretending to be....

Tim

What makes them fake, are they being rolled with Honduran tobacco? If it is the band, and the fact they the R&J was not rolled at the R&J factory, but somewhere else in Cuba, then they are in fact REAL Cuban cigars.....Just not the one they are pretending to be.... Tim

I guess that this could be a possibility but based on my experience there they were all crappy, packaging was great but thwy tasted like they had been burried in the desert sands for ages. No flavor at all and again maybe it just our Camp that had this problem.

What makes them fake, are they being rolled with Honduran tobacco? If it is the band, and the fact they the R&J was not rolled at the R&J factory, but somewhere else in Cuba, then they are in fact REAL Cuban cigars.....Just not the one they are pretending to be.... Tim

I guess that this could be a possibility but based on my experience there they were all crappy, packaging was great but thwy tasted like they had been burried in the desert sands for ages. No flavor at all and again maybe it just our Camp that had this problem.

This we can both agree on... :thumbs:

Where you lost me is, this thread was about Cubans and how they relate to Customs through a Navy re-deployment station. From that standpoint, all Cuban cigars are Cuban cigars, even if they are fake Cuban cigars....

LOL...

Tim

This we can both agree on... :thumbs:

Where you lost me is, this thread was about Cubans and how they relate to Customs through a Navy re-deployment station. From that standpoint, all Cuban cigars are Cuban cigars, even if they are fake Cuban cigars....

LOL...

Tim

Point understood, kind of like the FBI spending time and real money looking for fake money.