• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cubans Cigars Legal in Nebraska?

puffstuff

This is directly from the new RTDA publication. Sorry but no link is available for this, this is word for word what it says.

This somewhat quiet midwestern state will soon be the premium cigar hot spot if one state legislator suceeds in passing a bill introduced to the state's unicameral legislature. Bill 1034 looks to grant the communist government of Cuba
permission to barter with the state's agricultural department by accepting tobacco and tobacco products produced on the island as partial payments for agricultural and medical products or services sold to the regime. Furthermore, the legislation
proposes to set up a lottery system to decide what retailers will be allowed to receive Cuban tobacco products for sale in their stores.
The proposed bill addresses only the issue of federal tobacco excise taxes stating that such tax laws will be applicable.
Bill 1034 does not address the issue of the federal government's embargo against the Communist regime, as outlined in the "Cuban Liberty and Democratic Solidarity (Libertad) Act of 1996" (better known as the Helms-Burton Act). This federal statute prohibits trade with Cuba and prohibits American citizens from possesing or consuming Cuban-produced goods, even while traveling abroad in a third country,
as all American citizens are bound by U.S. law.
Additionally, the legislation does not address another key issue of who in the state will act as the primary recipient of such embargoed products or who will distribute Cuban-produced tobacco products to retailers who will be authorized
to sell such products as determined by the state-sponsored lottery system.
END...

Don't worry guys i've volunteered to be the primary recipient and help them out with the distribution, so that's covered. :D

Al

It'll Never happen, It would be nice if it did but a state cannot supercede federal law. The feds have other things to do then sit and bother with Cuban cigars especially since the country is still communist. I wont hold my breath for anything to come of this other then a legal/political headache.

Edited for spelling.

Probably just one of those email chain letters. Suprising that you can't provide a link to that information...

Mrepp said:
It'll Never happen, It would be nice if it did but a state cannot supercede federal law. The feds have other things to do then sit and bother with Cuban cigars especially since the country is still communist. I wont hold my breath for anything to come of this other then a legal/political headache.

Edited for spelling.
[snapback]298238[/snapback]​

just when i was feeling good..and happy..you had to bring me back to reality, didn't you!

Yeah, this would open a whole can of worms if it happened. If it passed, then essentially every citizen in the US could possess cuban cigars and just say they bought them from Nebraska.

Well just in case i am packing up and moving.... Go huskers? :thumbs: :p

Brandon

IMO, the embargo won't last too much longer, my guess is 5 years tops.

When Castro finally keils off and then his brother is "disposed of" all will be well and i believe the embargo will be lifted.

Just my $.02

yeah but I can see Castro going for another 5 years easy, and then his brother could go another 5 easy. I rarely hope for a quite revolution, but man i wish they could topple Fidel just so that country could have normalized relations with the west.

jabba said:
IMO, the embargo won't last too much longer, my guess is 5 years tops.
[snapback]298338[/snapback]​

Wrong. The embargo will last for a whole lot longer than that....

I'll bet you a box of Siglo IVs on that. ;)

Hey, then maybe Chavez will swim over and take over for Fidel.
Stranger things have happened. :D

Probably won't happen, but if it does all I can say is ROAD TRIP!!!

I hear that. I think my state borders Nebraska.. along with 8 other states.

yeah but I can see Castro going for another 5 years easy, and then his brother could go another 5 easy. I rarely hope for a quite revolution, but man i wish they could topple Fidel just so that country could have normalized relations with the west.

Should read - so that country can have normalized cigar trading with this part of the west. :cool:

Fed usually trumps state so long as the Fed holds up in court, but I've heard the embargo is an executive order. I have no idea how that fits, legally.

NullSmurf said:
Fed usually trumps state so long as the Fed holds up in court, but I've heard the embargo is an executive order. I have no idea how that fits, legally.
[snapback]298482[/snapback]​

Federal Supremacy will trump any attempt to push this through. And, as noted above it has been postponed indefinately. Wonder if the politician who proposed that is a cigarsmoker . . . :whistling:

CCat . . . why do you think it will last longer than 5 years? Are you saying that our friend Fidel will live longer than that or that the embargo will continue after his death?

Personally, I think 90% of the force behind the embargo is basically a pissing match between the US gov. and Fidel . . . a bit of a game of chicken to see who will give first. Once Fidel is worm food I think the US gov. will propose some sort of aid to Cuban citizens which will include supporting some non-communist govt. and lifting the embargo.

Much like North Korea we continued their embargo once leadership was transferred cause the new boss is as bad as the old boss. So that could be the same situation with Cuba. However it is kind of silly since the US did not have a trade embargo with the Russian during the cold war.

What I want to know is when can the rest of the country establish an embargo on Texas. :)