• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cubao #4

A box of these came in yesterday, and I fired one up last night whilst watching the Olympics.

I don't have my fancy review cheat to help with a review, as I had to "recover" my computer and lost some documents.

Anyways, I couldn't wait to write about this sweet cigar. From the very first draw, I got a sense that it was going to be a treat. Smooth mix of cocoa and cream, mixed with dynamic changes in tast throughout. This is an absoulte hit by EO. I had a 601 last night, that I really didn't care for. I am extremely happy I got a box of the Cubao. To me, I do not know how they will get better with age, but based off this one cigar, I say they are better than any of the new smokes to hit the streets lately (including Illusione and Tatuaje!) down to the nub! I will smoke another this afternoon in the great outdoors to confirm my first impression. I can tell you know, these won't last long!

Thanks for the review, I have a fiver of assorted coming, now I can smoke one and look forward to a good cigar.

I have tried a few and was not that blown away. I was told to try the robosto; my friend claims it tastes better, but I really don't know how there could be such a difference.

The guys at Silo cigars were kind enough to add one of the Robustos to an order I received today and I am smoking it now.

Pre-light aroma was similar to a Padron 1000 series - rich, nutty, and very enticing. Initial taste is similar as well although it isn't quite as strong. The flavor is great though: nutty Nicaraguan tobacco, with notes of wood and leather. The smoke is just a bit dry and tannic on the tip of my tongue but to be fair I gave this cigar no time at all to rest after its trip to me (I put the boxes I got in my humidor and immediately lit it) so that could account for some of the slightly "off" tinge of flavor.

This cigar is clearly well made. The draw is spot on as is the burn with a solid, light gray ash that lasted through the first third.

As we head to and past the halfway point the flavors remain the same with the addition of a slight sweetness, almost like slightly burnt sugar. The finish is fairly short but pleasant. If that hint of tanginess/tannin weren't present it would be a really fine cigar. Even with it I still think it's quite good and when I find another I'll definitely let it rest a while before smoking it to give it a more accurate tasting.

All in all I'd say it is certainly worth tracking a single or a fiver down and giving the brand a try.

- Tim

I try not to get caught up in all the hype with Pepin blends. I love his blends but some as of late has left me hanging.

Not this one though. I smoked a robusto tonight and was overwhelmed. This was a flavor bomb. The first 4-5 draws had me so confused. So much going on. I can't explain it, but it was phenomenal. I got a lot of woody notes half way through with tons of spice(not pepper).

Pepin really came through in the clutch with this blend. Very impressed.

Vinnyvega has nailed it pretty well with the review, and as well with Pepin making up for some significant 'downtime' with his cigars as of late, in my opinion.

I am a very committed Pepin, smoker... literally nothing else grabs my attention the way his cigars do! But with that said, I have noticed a significant drop in consistency. Mainly I have felt that the cigars have been rushed out and where way to young!

And thus I received my box of Cubao's last week and have really enjoyed them!

The price point is great for a pepin, and as the other reviewer's have noted, the cigar is very good!

I have not seen this stick in my area I will most definitely be on the lookout as I really want to weigh in on this stick, particularly the robusto.

-Tony

I have not seen this stick in my area I will most definitely be on the lookout as I really want to weigh in on this stick, particularly the robusto.

-Tony

Hey Tony, just want to say that it's not the best form to reopen a topic 3 months old, unless you can add something substantial to it. Not a big deal at all, though, so don't take it the wrong way.

As far as the Cubao, I'm surprised you cannot find it yet. Send me your addy/info and I'll be sure you get 'em.

Stick around and read, read, read!

This is my favorite cigar to date! I just bought a box of them the other night at a 601 event. Even got a cubao cutter, shirt, and a bonus 10 pk of sticks.

Can't imagine them getting any better with age, but I am certainly willing to find out! I've got mine resting right now!