• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuba's best tobacco

cigars&rum

"I changed my profile Rod"
I have read on the board a while ago a member stated the Switzerland, Spain and Hong Kong receive the best quality from all of the major Cuban cigar manufacturers. Is there any validity to this statement which I have read or is it just urban legend?

I don't know. But if you happen to get some from each country out there and send me a sample from each I would be willing to test it and let you know what my findings where. :laugh:

There is no truth to these rumors. What you will find however is tobacconists from Switzerland, HK and GB are usually better than the ones from Spain. The Spanish vendors usually just send the cigars sealed while the others will inspect and look for better boxes to send out.

1106048594.jpg

English Market Selection is an additional level of quality control that is applied to cigars marketed in the United Kingom.

English Market Selection starts in Cuba. The cigar factories send their export production to Habanos SA who do a check on every batch they receive. Those batches that do not meet the EMS standards are not sent to the UK.

On arrival into the United Kingdom, every box of cigars is opened by the sole importers, Hunters & Frankau, and inspected. Those that do not come up to the EMS standard, are rejected and sent back to Cuba.

More info here.

Maybe there are similar guarantees of quality in the other countries you mention.

Thanks to all whom replied! On that special day when the embargo ends and we can have many places to order our ISOM's and not have to worry about which country has the best smokes! :p

C&R

EMS ahhh that explains all the extra fees and the funny stickers on the boxes. The inspection process may be better from the UK, but the prices aren't for sure. I've never had a problem with boxes from HK and really enjoy the better prices so outside of my 2 special boxes from the UK I stick with HK for a better deal.

I just read the EMS link you posted GC.

They do not go into detail what kind of standards they use. If they had said they check for color, smell, size, etc, I would have bought into it.

GKR

FWIW, the Duty Free prices in HK are really hard to beat if you know where to look. :whistling: