• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Curio-dor Project! ***Updated with Pics 4/16/2009***

bootown

Hello all, I have been reading alot of posts from this site and well I love them! They are so cool I have finaly run out of room in my desktop (150 count) so now its time for a project! I want to make a Curio Cabinet into a Humidor! I think it can be done and I picked up a Curio Cabinet at a good price. On a side note I have been smoking cigars for about 10 years, but it was more like every now and then, a Cigar was a Cigar type thing, Now I have a idea of what I am doing and what I have been missing!

Here are the starting pics! I will post better ones once I get it all setup and cleaned.

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions please feel free!

How are you going to seal it up to keep humidity? this look very nice :)

Looks good. Keep us updated with pics as you go.

BTW... don't forget to introduce yourself in the intro forum.

Oh wow, that would look beautiful as a humidor. I'd also like to know how you intend to make this work. I'll definitely keep checking back. :)

Good luck!

Well I plan on using a wood puddy for the windows and around the backing. As for the doors I plan on using self adhesive high quality neoprene seals. It will work kind of like a gasket. Going to also get a Oasis Ultra XL II and I am going to see if I can hide it in the top part of the cabinet where the light is, I won't be needing the light anyways :) Also will have about 2lbs of beads in there to help keep the humidy where I want it.

And if you can't tell I love Harleys :)

Well I plan on using a wood puddy for the windows and around the backing. As for the doors I plan on using self adhesive high quality neoprene seals. It will work kind of like a gasket. Going to also get a Oasis Ultra XL II and I am going to see if I can hide it in the top part of the cabinet where the light is, I won't be needing the light anyways :) Also will have about 2lbs of beads in there to help keep the humidy where I want it.

And if you can't tell I love Harleys :)

Sounds like it just might work! I'd be very interested to see the pictures of the project in the works and of course the final product! I'd also be interested to see how much it all ends up costing you to put together seeing as I would be interested to start this kind of project some day. Definitely keep us updated!

I would advise using some kind of silicone (whether it be caulk or another formulation) to seal the seams inside the box. Also, if you can remove the glass, you can use silicone to seal up the windows as well.

Looks great, but I'd venture to say that you'll need more than 2 pounds of beads to keep it stable....even with the Oasis

that cabinet looks cool and can't wait to see your progress. Good Luck!

would Caulking like they do with windows and doors work?

David

If you do a search for the man caves episode where they did a cigar room, the dude does doors with glass in them, he caulks them with silicone because it's moisture resistant. For a visual, if you watch the clip, it shows him caulking the door frame.

Also, if you caulk the seams and windows on the inside, and use a trowel or something similar, you can make it look nice and neat.

What was that curio cabinet used for, something at a Harley dealership? It's a beautiful cabinet.

Cool cabinet, the thing looks pretty solid. I would wire up a couple of computer fans on a timer to keep the air circulating. I bet you won't have to do much to it. Seal the windows with silicone, just make sure you let it dry open so the smell gets out of it.

would Caulking like they do with windows and doors work?

David

If you do a search for the man caves episode where they did a cigar room, the dude does doors with glass in them, he caulks them with silicone because it's moisture resistant. For a visual, if you watch the clip, it shows him caulking the door frame.

Also, if you caulk the seams and windows on the inside, and use a trowel or something similar, you can make it look nice and neat.

That's actually a very good point (making sure the caulking is moisture resistant).

Although just out of curiosity, is standard caulking from a hardware store that's used around the house fine for humidors? It seems to be silicone. Or is there a special caulking one would have to use for such a project?

What was that curio cabinet used for, something at a Harley dealership? It's a beautiful cabinet.

Ya it was used for a display and was limited to only 140 made, I think the number on it is somthing like 110'ish I guess they never where able to sell it so they put it in storage in the back of the shop. It caught my eye when I was in there and asked them what they wanted for it, was a good price so I snaged it before they where going to put it on Kijiji. I should have it home tomorrow just trying to get a truck togeather to pick it up and move it. Its all one piece so its heavy and large.

I am going to use a caulking and some fans to move the air around, I just need to find somthing that I like and looks good, I want to hide them, the Oasis and the and beads best I can.

That is one pretty cabinet. Make sure you read the link given about Bu11dog's clock-o-dor, he had a lot of good ideas and it really turned out great. I would definately use more that a couple pounds of beads in that monster, best thing is measure the inside of the cabinet and follow This guideline for how many you need.

Usuing an HVAC/R silacone should work fine fro sealing the glass against the cabinet because it is less prone to shrinking and breaking the seal.