• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cusano Habano LXI Sun Grown

OpusXKC

MOΛΩN ΛABE
Cusano Habano LXI Sun Grown

My father loves Cusano cigars, and as he enjoys them quite a bit I have had occasion to smoke a few. I can say that the Cuvee 151 is a nice little smoke. When I heard they were doing a sun grown my interest was peaked and I knew I was going to have to give this a try.

--First Impressions--

IMAGE_057.jpg

When first looking at this cigar you will easily notice the dark brown and burnt orange wrapper. Dressed with a slightly toothy and lightly veined wrapper it has a soft oil and a very stout feel to it. The strong aroma of clover pollen honey emanates from the wrapper. The head of this cigar is topped with a well placed cap. Gentle notes of pastry dough come through on the dry draw.

--Light and First Quarter--

IMAGE_058.jpg

A strike, light and everything is right. The first thing in my mouth is a dry rich burly flavored smoke, covered with woody oak and maple notes. As the smoke develops notes of sweet cake with that wonderful classic “sun grown flavor” come through. The whole experience is mixed with a good dose of strength. A nice soft spice tingles the nose upon exhale.

--Second Quarter--

IMAGE_060.jpg

This far into the cigar I notice a subtle increase in spice. Good notes of bourbon help define the previously found sweet and woody tones. A well ringed ash forms with every puff on the smooth and easy draw. A thick wrapper does require attention and creates a slightly uneven burn. The good part is that this is not detracting from the cigar at all.

--At the Half--

IMAGE_061.jpg

This is a very consistent cigar, and in this case is quite pleasing. The flavors have lightly toned down and the woody spice is slightly stronger. The smoke has become a touch more moist.

--Finish and Overall Impressions--

IMAGE_063.jpg

More touch ups are required throughout the smoke to keep it lit and burning evenly. Spice increases and mixes with tart a bitter notes, yet this is easy to smoke to a nub. Of all the sun grown's I've smoked this one is probably the strongest. When I say that I don't mean it is spicy or overwhelming, I mean to say that it has the strongest “sun grown flavor” I've tasted in this type of smoke. The consistency was great, and enjoyable as I very well enjoy sun grown's. Outside of the burn issues this was a great cigar and one of the best from Cusano, that I have had (the OR 151 being the best). If you like sun grown's you should definitely smoke this cigar.

--Smokem' if you gotem'--

-Tony

Great review. Time to find some for myself now!!

Don

These sound right up my alley- I'll be looking for one soon.

thanks!

I have one of these resting, thanks for the review. I'm enjoying an RP Sungrown as I type.

Good suggestion, T. Smoking the one I got at Outlaw last weekend and I am impressed. This is the first Cusano I've smoked, but I doubt it is the last. The price is right too!

Great review! I've been smoking up the perfecto in this line since my local B&M got some boxes in . . . top notch smokes at a terrific price.

~Boar

I had one yesterday, and was a little uneven on the start Draw was smooth, starting it was a bit uneven, but after a touch up burned well, I agree it had a pastry feeling taste, kind like a egg roll (the sandwich kind not the Chinese) Burned it down almost to the nub ash was solid, overall I think it was good smoke I would smoke again