• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dark Sumatra Media Noche

SamGuss

Usually I smoke the smaller Espresso Dark Sumptra (Robusto Size) when I smoke these, and I have had a Noche (the big gun) which I have enjoyed. So today while scrounging through my dwindling humidor I wanted a cigar that would be strong flavored due to the fact I have an ear infection right now and my taste buds just ain't so - I automatically thought dark or maduro and large. So after some thought I decided to go ahead and light up the Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Sumptra Media Noche (yes folks I went out on the web to find out the exact name of this particular sized cigar).

The cigar is a large ring gauge - 54 x 5.75 inches. Construction is sturdy, firm, dark and very serious looking. Just looking at it in the cedar wrap and the double cigar bands, it sings out a strong flavor - an observation that when lighting it up does not dissapoint. The wrapper is a rough texture - not as rough as sandpaper, but almost grtitty in away, though again to point out that the construction is sturdy.

With the lighter I have - a cheap rip-off make of the SST by Colabri - it was a little much for the lighter to handle. The result is two-fold. First I need to buy or get myself on of those triple flame llighters I have heard about, especially with how much I like the larger gauge cigars. Second, that it took a little while long than normal to fully light this cigar with this small of a lighter.

The volume of smoke however, once lit was enormous and a cloud of smoke hung over me and the computer desk like a fog. This immediately attracted Princess, my cigar loving feline companion. who is now washing the smell of the smoke into her fur as she sits next to me in the other chair. The smoke smells pretty good, not as strong as the taste, which suprised me a little as usually it is a very potent smoke with this line in my experience.

The tastes of this cigar are strong and consistent. A distinct "dark" taste of damp tobacco, ground coffee and hardshell nuts. Though the taste remain consistant, the burn did not. I ended up at least through half of this cigar to re-lite a side of the cigar everytime I topped off ash. So it did burn alittle unevenly. The smoke however remained very cool and was the first such cool smoke I have remembered from a cigar in a long time. So some credit does go back into the burn factor.

Overall I was very pleased with this cigar and have decided that this is one of my new go-to brands of cigars, as I have enoyed every one I have had so far and in all of the sizes. Now just to find them cheaper online versus my local retailer - these things go for 50-100% OVER MSRP here!

Anyway in the end I rate this cigar a 87-88.

Princess, my feline companion gives it a 90 and she is picky enough to never stick around a cigar if it is below that standard :sign:

Until the next review, this is Sam, a.k.a. the Newbie Reviewer

Nice review Sam..I haven't had the pleasure of a Media Noche YET...you may have driven me to try one or hope someone sends one..... :thumbs: :D

Sam,

as usual, we're eye to eye on another review. FOR EVERYONE THAT READS THIS: This cigar is too expensive, it sucks, don't buy them, let the market get flooded with this stick (then when the price drops I'll buy them all up with you Sam!)

Just kidding - this cigar is DA BOMB - to speak in the vernacular of the peasantry. The only thing I'd put in is that I didn't have any burn problems with the two 5-packs I had. (guess that gives away where I got em! :D ) So, Sam's problem may have been a long ship time and the moisture settled into one side? Don't know, but this may be my favorite domestic (read: not ISOM) now. Of course I still haven't smoked that LGC Serie R #7 yet :p

Big, Bold, Well Constructed, Full of Ummm ummm goodness.

But you still shouldn't buy them unless you want to gift em. Which might be a good way to make some more friends to all you newbies. Address is in my profile and I'm lookin for new friends!

:) :D :0 :) :D :0 :) :D :0

lmao @ muley and his new friends! :D

i to have treid these and they are wonderful! they go good with a strong cup of coffee!

*chuckles* Great ideas Muley! I couldn't agree more :D

They do make good gifting cigars too :love:

Muley, if you like robusto-sized cigars, you have to try the Espresso's, one of my top 3 favorite robusto's for under $5 (the other 2 being a Short Story, when you can find them near MSRP - I know, but it still happens.. and the Punch Rothschild Maduro Maduro).

Sam

Sam,
I'll have to look around for those - thanks for the ideas. I do like the robustos because then I don't feel guilty about taking time away from playing with the kids - I can usually finish one completely on our evening walks!

Has anyone tried the Ebano? If anyone has any to trade, Please PM me! Thanks!