• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Davidoff ISOMs?

moki

el Presidente
okay, so I'm considering splurging on a single stick of a Davidoff ISOM for my birthday. Problem is that I have limited experience with them. So folks, tell me what the taste differences/recommendation would be among:

Davidoff 5000
Davidoff Chateau LaTour
Davidoff Chateau Margaux
Davidoff Chateau Mouton Rothschild
Davidoff Dom Perigon
Davidoff Chateau Y'Quem

Other than the obvious size and price differences, I have zero clue what the differences in taste might be. Anyone who has had any of these, please help me out with your opinions; I can't really afford to make any mistakes if I buy one!

moki said:
okay, so I'm considering splurging on a single stick of a Davidoff ISOM for my birthday. Problem is that I have limited experience with them. So folks, tell me what the taste differences/recommendation would be among:

Davidoff 5000
Davidoff Chateau LaTour
Davidoff Chateau Margaux
Davidoff Chateau Mouton Rothschild
Davidoff Dom Perigon
Davidoff Chateau Y'Quem

Other than the obvious size and price differences, I have zero clue what the differences in taste might be. Anyone who has had any of these, please help me out with your opinions; I can't really afford to make any mistakes if I buy one!
I've only smoked a handful of davidoffs and dunhills (cubans) - so I can't help much - but don't forget about the Haut Brion's - one of the more flavorful davidoffs, from what I have read/heard - and my experience with 1 did agree with that. Since you favor flavorful/strong sticks, you need to be choosy or you'll be disappointed, again - just IMO.

Also, since you're splurging - you should include Dunhill's among your choices... The Dunhill Havana Club definitely qualifies as a special cigar... I was gifted two of these recently and the one already smoked was quite nice. Definitely the type of cigar that you don't want to even consider the "was it worth it" question - and just go in with the mind-set that trying something new (and good!) is worth anything - at least for a couple times. (Don't know why I'm saying that to you, Moki - I'm preaching to the choir, I suspect...)

Lastly, you might consider posting a plee for a FOG to make a "davidoff sampler" purchase for you. Send them a Pile of Cash (tm), and have faith in the rest. There are a few very experienced collectors hidden around here - and you'll get far more for your buck with them at the helm, IMO - if you can get them to step out of the shadows and give you a hand. ;)

Cheers,

- Oak

Davidoff 5000- My favorite Davidoff to date. Love the size and the flavors were just the right balance of power to complexity.

Davidoff Chateau LaTour- Smoked one of these on Sunday and it was very, very good. Almost as nice as the 5000.

Davidoff Chateau Margaux- Have not ahd one of these, yet.

Davidoff Chateau Mouton Rothschild-Have not had one of these, yet.

Davidoff Dom Perigon - Have smoked a few of these. The flavors are more subdued and straight-forward, with fewer changes over the length of the cigar. But, with the proper environment and accompanying drink, these are excellent cigars. Patience in smoking them and a quite environment where you can enjoy all the aspects of the cigar are a must.

Davidoff Chateau Y'Quem - This is one size that I am looking forward to trying someday and have yet to.

oak said:
Lastly, you might consider posting a plee for a FOG to make a "davidoff sampler" purchase for you. Send them a Pile of Cash (tm), and have faith in the rest. There are a few very experienced collectors hidden around here - and you'll get far more for your buck with them at the helm, IMO - if you can get them to step out of the shadows and give you a hand. ;)
Fair enough, I'll give it a shot. They don't even need to come out of the shadows. If any FOGs out there are willing to sell me or set me up with a Davidoff ISOM sampler of some of the cigars I mentioned, PM me! :D

Thanks to everyone who responded! The Min Ron Nee book I just got has some excellent advice on these cigars I mentioned here. Was worth the price of the book to tell me that the Dom Perignon's weren't worth the price, and the Y'Quem's are just rare, not necessarily worth the price.

moki said:
The Min Ron Nee book I just got has some excellent advice on these cigars I mentioned here. Was worth the price of the book to tell me that the Dom Perignon's weren't worth the price, and the Y'Quem's are just rare, not necessarily worth the price.
LOL..... don't believe everything you read! ;)

The MRN book is by far the most extensive reference book on Havana cigars and has a wealth of great information in it. While his opinions are interesting, they are just that, his opinions.

Allofus123 said:
moki said:
The Min Ron Nee book I just got has some excellent advice on these cigars I mentioned here. Was worth the price of the book to tell me that the Dom Perignon's weren't worth the price, and the Y'Quem's are just rare, not necessarily worth the price.

The MRN book is by far the most extensive reference book on Havana cigars and has a wealth of great information in it. While his opinions are interesting, they are just that, his opinions.
Of course... but I was also hoping that by posting said opinions, I might out some people (*ahem*) who could help me answer these questions! :D

moki said:
Allofus123 said:
moki said:
The Min Ron Nee book I just got has some excellent advice on these cigars I mentioned here.  Was worth the price of the book to tell me that the Dom Perignon's weren't worth the price, and the Y'Quem's are just rare, not necessarily worth the price.

Of course... but I was also hoping that by posting said opinions, I might out some people (*ahem*) who could help me answer these questions! :D
Moki trolled and caught allofus?

:lookup:

:sign:

He caught me telling him not to believe everything he reads? :0 Great catch if that is what you were fishing for! :)

BTW, those kind of cigars are illegal in the US!

Allofus123 said:
He caught me telling him not to believe everything he reads? :0 Great catch if that is what you were fishing for! :)

BTW, those kind of cigars are illegal in the US!
Sorry, I can't hear you speak with that hook in your mouth! :D

Moki,

Have you tried ANY ISOM Davidoffs yet? I read your post on CF and it seems as though you're giving up the hunt without even trying one. PM me Bro!

Aloha,

Wade

This is too funny. I personally have always believed that anyone who takes another person's review of a certain cigar with any grain of salt, is not worth the paper the review was written on. Everyone's tastes are subjective. Min Ron Nee's opinions of cigars are just that, his. He will tell you that straight ahead. he also has the luxury of comparing the value of cigars between a vast collection.

There are many cigar collector's, with as much knowledge as the great doctor, who would absolutely disagree with him. Cast the line in their direction and see if you can "out" them.

I'm going to jack Moki's post in hopes that it'll help others as well as me.

These $100+ Davidoff's, are they worth it? Now I know the easy answer "To each his own," but my question is more focused.

I ask because I'm intersted in purchasing a higher end ISOM or two from the 80's, but am wondering if I can find a comparable smoke of that vintage for a heck of a lot less money? Suggestions FOGS?

Thanks and Moki, I'll make up for the jacking.

Tony,

Of course you can find a comparable smoke of the same vintage. Cheaper?? Depends on what it is, I guess. But, the other smokes you find, will not be Davidoffs, they'll be something else. So, it all depends on what you are shooting for. Finding a vintage cigar, or finding a vintage Davidoff cigar. Each one is different from the other. There are some fine cigars that still have held their distinct flavors since the 1980's and some that are just getting better. The key to ANY vintage cigar, is how well it has been stored. If you don't know what you are getting into, it is asinine to spend $100+ on something you have no experience selecting, IMHO. It's also crazy to go on one person alone's opinion of any given cigar.

Matt R said:
Tony,

Of course you can find a comparable smoke of the same vintage. Cheaper?? Depends on what it is, I guess. But, the other smokes you find, will not be Davidoffs, they'll be something else. So, it all depends on what you are shooting for. Finding a vintage cigar, or finding a vintage Davidoff cigar. Each one is different from the other. There are some fine cigars that still have held their distinct flavors since the 1980's and some that are just getting better. The key to ANY vintage cigar, is how well it has been stored. If you don't know what you are getting into, it is asinine to spend $100+ on something you have no experience selecting, IMHO. It's also crazy to go on one person alone's opinion of any given cigar.
So the next question: What is a comparable smoke to an 80's Davidoff that won't set me back $100-$300? $50 per stick is about my limit.

I fully understand that going on one guy's input is not good, but it's tough to find multiple people who have had experience w/ this vintage. At least it's tough for a newbie like me.

IMHO, nothing is comparable to a Davidoff, as far as linking them by taste. Davidoffs as well as all the other lines, are all distinct from each other. But, El Rey del Mundos via the 1980's, seem to be smoking pretty good right now and the prices are closer to what you are thinking of paying. Early 1990's (think 1990-1993) Montecristos are smoking pretty good right now too. It may be possible to find some of those in your price range.

Here's what Min Ron Nee has to say:

Davidoff 1000 - Milder than the Chateaux series; the 15 year old ones now taste rather bland.

Davidoff Ambassadrice - Relatively lacking in complexity and very mild. Can serve as a nice pre-prandial cigar at cocktail parties, if money is not a concern.

Davidoff Chateau Haut Brion - Strongest of the Chateaux range, 20 year old ones are now the best of all vintage Davidoff cigars by consensus.

Davidoff No. 1 - Slightly better than the No. 2. Bland taste. Older ones have the boring "old cedar box" taste. Definitely not worth the current market price.

Davidoff No. 2 - Not much taste, let alone complexity. Forgettable cigars, unless free.

moki said:
Here's what Min Ron Nee has to say:

Davidoff 1000 - Milder than the Chateaux series; the 15 year old ones now taste rather bland.

Davidoff Ambassadrice - Relatively lacking in complexity and very mild. Can serve as a nice pre-prandial cigar at cocktail parties, if money is not a concern.

Davidoff Chateau Haut Brion - Strongest of the Chateaux range, 20 year old ones are now the best of all vintage Davidoff cigars by consensus.

Davidoff No. 1 - Slightly better than the No. 2. Bland taste. Older ones have the boring "old cedar box" taste. Definitely not worth the current market price.

Davidoff No. 2 - Not much taste, let alone complexity. Forgettable cigars, unless free.
Well what do you know? Who would have thought you are paying a huge dollar because the cigar is rare, not because it's good :)

About the only thing I agree with on that post is that the Haute Brions are the best of the series (but I wuld even question that with some of the 5000s and Doms I have had recently). You guys can hype up his opinions all you want and decide not to buy 'em, more for me. :) But, until you've smoked a good number of them, you will never know the truth. I will add that I can agree with the part about the prices being too high, but I have never paid the "going" price, that tends to be based on what Mitchell sells them for.