• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dear Abby - Those Precious smokes...

JerryG

Dear Abby Cigar-Passers,

I have been noticing lately as I rummage through my humidor that I have been somewhat of a squirrel in my cigar saving habits.

Re-reading through some old posts here in this section on this board, I read, for the first time, hbooker's thoughtful post on smoking his lone Opus.

And when I read that post I thought to myself, "self, what ARE you waiting for?"

So, I confess, I have become a squirrel. Saving away this smoke or that for the "perfect" moment, the "right time. Or maybe saving the smoke because I like the way the band looks, the way the cigar looks, the color of the wrapper, the oddity.

I realize and have enjoyed the benefits of a well aged cigar. I understand that. The thing that I am beginning to question is why I save smokes thinking I may never get another one of "these".

The question to you my fellow cigar lovers is this: At what point do you break down and smoke that one of a kind, never to be had again cigar? At what point do you feel the pleasure of the smoke rising from actually smoking the cigar, rather than looking at it, will be stronger.

Maybe silly of me to wonder. So be it. I have that craving to smoke this one or that one. Or all of them. But then I won't have it to smoke later. What a quandry.

I do know this however. That in the New Year, and by being a part of you fine cigar loving folks here at Cigar Pass dot com that there will come a day when a box arrives on the doorstep with another must save, must be squirreled away smoke.

So, Thanks Folks for a year of cigar comraderie and great smokes.

Any help in my squirrelling dilema would be appreciated.
Now where did I put that last nut.....

JerryG

Hey Jerry,
When I finally was convinced that 'cigars are made to be smoked' This was a point made to me by some serious 'collectors' so I made up a contest and ended up trying the 'cherished one' ( Had to have a reason to convince myself to smoke it)
Since then it's been rather weird becasue I have tried a few more as they come in. Your right, someone always sends that mystery box that has a 'special' item in it.
Tonight being new years eve I am sacrificing a BTL and an Opus A. I will be doing a review on the BTL, as I haven't read one yet. It's part of the fun for me writing about the experiance.

Just remember Gars are made for smoking, and there always will be 'another' - unless it's one of those unreleased fuentes or some thing like that. But I try to remind all of my friends don't send anything to me that shouldn't be smoked. If it's a collectors item keep it.
Happy New Year

When I have more than one of them, I smoke 'em or give 'em away. There's really not too many smokes out there that are absolute, never available again smokes, if you have the resources. But, I collect certain cigars that I think are better to look at the to smoke because I have a feeling they would be a dissappointment if I burned them because of what I've made them out to be in my mind. :) That being said, I usually try to burn something memorable the first time I meet some of my cyber cigar buddies and always attempt to have one to share. :)

Ah...Thanks Abby-hbooker and Abby-Matt for the sage advice...JerryG