• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Delirium Nocturnum

emodx

Banned
The Delirium Nocturnum is a Belgian Strong Ale that is surprisingly dry. A colleague of mine turned me on to this while I was out in the North Bay Area of CA. Having been a fan of the Delirium Tremens, I gave this a try.
The beer comes in a corked bottle that is painted to look like a ceramic bottle. The bottle is corked because an ante-fermentaion occurs in the bottle after bottling. It is sweet compared to most beers, but fairly dry when compared to other dark Belgain Strong Ales. The beer do be fairly earthy, but not over-poweringly so as in other beers of this type. Due to the richness, strength, and sweetness of this beer, I recommend it after desert. Because of the unique flavor, I would not suggest this prior to a dessert as the flavor may not agree with a light flavored desert. The only part of this beer that I didn't care for was a slight mettalic finish/nose.

Emo

Delirium Nocturnum is a good beligian strong. Just one thing I've noticed is that beers will sometimes pick up a metallic finish if they are served too cold, which most beer are these days. You'd probably want to drink Nocturnum around 50 degrees. I prefer most of my beers more on the warmer side. They open up and the flavors come out, and it diminishes any funky aftertastes.

ejquin said:
Delirium Nocturnum is a good beligian strong. Just one thing I've noticed is that beers will sometimes pick up a metallic finish if they are served too cold, which most beer are these days. You'd probably want to drink Nocturnum around 50 degrees. I prefer most of my beers more on the warmer side. They open up and the flavors come out, and it diminishes any funky aftertastes.
[snapback]187213[/snapback]​
I had never heard of the 50 degree thing. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Emo

Yeah, generally I think most people drink their beer way too cold because it dulls the taste. That's fine when you're drinking Coors light, but when you drink beer that actually tastes good, it mutes the flavors, and creates strange aftertastes. The lower the alcohol content and lighter the beer color most likely the colder you want the beer. For me, for a pale ale like Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, I'll keep it in the fridge and take it out about 15-20 mins before I drink it. That'll put it right around 45 degrees. For a Stout like Bell's Expedition stout, I'll take it out about 30 mins before I drink it, and that'll put it at 50 - 55 degrees, and it'll finish around room temp.

ejquin said:
Yeah, generally I think most people drink their beer way too cold because it dulls the taste. That's fine when you're drinking Coors light, but when you drink beer that actually tastes good, it mutes the flavors, and creates strange aftertastes. The lower the alcohol content and lighter the beer color most likely the colder you want the beer. For me, for a pale ale like Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, I'll keep it in the fridge and take it out about 15-20 mins before I drink it. That'll put it right around 45 degrees. For a Stout like Bell's Expedition stout, I'll take it out about 30 mins before I drink it, and that'll put it at 50 - 55 degrees, and it'll finish around room temp.
[snapback]187393[/snapback]​

He is right..it is an American thing to drink beer ice cold...