• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Delta IV (Heavy) Launch on 1-20-11

DesertRat

Perpetual Newbie
Tomorrow afternoon at approximately 1:08 pm the first ever launch of a Delta IV (Heavy) rocket on the west coast will take place at Vandenberg AFB. The actual launch window is 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm but the estimated launch time is at 1:08 pm. 

This launch (NROL-49) will take place at SLC-6 (aka "Slick 6") which was originally built to launch the Titan III and then the Space Shuttle, carrying payloads into a polar orbit.

Given the beautiful weather and clear skies here at the launch site it is highly probable that the launch will be visible from throughout the central and southern California areas.  Just keep your eyes tuned westward towards the central coast for the duration of the launch window but primarily around the 1:00 time frame.

I will have photos and possibly some video to post from the launch tomorrow evening or Friday depending on when I get back home.

More info on SLC-6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandenberg_AFB_Space_Launch_Complex_6

Photo removed to save load times

That thing would make one hell of a table lighter.

Looking forward to the pics.

Not quite as dramatic as the file photo above, but it's what my little pocket camera produced.

Video of the launch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B8H2bxgBaQ

A beautiful day for the launch!
167274_1839536707389_1209678808_2228682_3571684_n.jpg

Thanks for posting. I fish over there once in a while. Cool to see.

Some final photos sent to me by our host's at United Launch Alliance

Picture(DeviceIndependentBitmap)1.jpg

Picture(DeviceIndependentBitmap)2.jpg

Picture(DeviceIndependentBitmap)3.jpg

Picture(DeviceIndependentBitmap)4.jpg

Picture(DeviceIndependentBitmap)5.jpg

Picture(DeviceIndependentBitmap)6.jpg

Picture(DeviceIndependentBitmap)7.jpg