• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Desktop humi with bad seal

Jan Primus

Hey guys sorry I don't want to go through that whole Bill Clinton thread but I've been taking care of my brother's humidor while he's away and the seal on it is shit. The humidity drops to from 65 down to 56-57 within days of adding 3 mils distilled water. I'd like some recommendations on how to repair the seal for him, since he's not the sort to keep a close eye on rh...tia.

Gonna be kinda difficult to repair the seal.... that probably means the wood is warped or the seal wasn't good to begin with. Have you tried the dollar bill test or the light test ?

One thing you can try is this.... assuming it is a desktop humidor...put a book on top of it (to protect the wood)... then place a weight on top of that... See how the humididty stabalizes after that.

Jan - regardless of what happened to others, you should never feel like you cannot post a question you have. As witnessed by the BC thread, the member here are more than willing to help. Then it is up those who posted as to how the respond and accept the help.

You can also try a variety of weather stripping or window insualation from Home Depot etc. There are a wide variety of choice from foam to rubber and a variety of widths. Most are self ashesive with no smell, they also come in a variety of widths. More than likely you can enhance the seal with even seeing the adding seal.

Good Luck.

Surprise your brother and get him a new humidor as an early birthday present.

If you don't have the cash smoke all his cigars before he gets back that way the cigars are not subjected to the swing in humidity.

All kidding aside I would read some of the recommendations in the Bill Clinton thread before it took a turn for the worse. Good luck!

Yes the first few threads are very informative. I think Emo recommended some sail makers wax in the first couple of posts. Other than that I would just got with the weather stripping as mentioned by Al.

Brandon

edited for clarity and content