• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Diamond Crown Humidifier

CigarDins

Go Skins!!!
Like the title says, I have a Diamond Crown Humidifier for a 100 count humidor. It seems that it just isn't humidifying like it should be. My meter keeps dropping to the low 60s within a couple of days and it doesn't even seem that the humidifier is losing any water. I do have some beads in there as well but it isn't enough for this size humidor and that is why I am using the Diamond Crown. I have to recharge the beads every three days to ensure that the humidity stays above 60%.

Anyone else have any issues with Diamond Crown Humidifiers? Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Kurt

Like the title says, I have a Diamond Crown Humidifier for a 100 count humidor. It seems that it just isn't humidifying like it should be. My meter keeps dropping to the low 60s within a couple of days and it doesn't even seem that the humidifier is losing any water. I do have some beads in there as well but it isn't enough for this size humidor and that is why I am using the Diamond Crown. I have to recharge the beads every three days to ensure that the humidity stays above 60%.

Anyone else have any issues with Diamond Crown Humidifiers? Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Kurt

1) What type of humi is it in? Wood, Coolidor, etc)
2) What type of Hygrometer is it and did you calibrate it(and when)?
3) Just take out the beads if there are not enough and have a good base to work from
4) If the humi is wood, did you season it? Did you re-season it?
5) Are the cigars in there just ordered?
6) Winter usually is more dry and drops the RH of the humi, so you have to pay more attention to it!
7) Has it ever worked?

1) Wood
2) Digital(two of them) and both calibrated
3) I will take the beads out to get a good baseline
4) It was seasoned but I haven't done it again. (I think I may try this again)
5) The 60 - 70 cigars that are in there are not just ordered. Have been sitting for a while.
6) The winters here in Colorado are really dry. I get shocked almost everytime that I touch something or someone.
7) I don't think that it has ever worked. I filled it up when I first got it from my local B&M and for more than a month the water level didn't go down but a little bit. So I emptied it about 3 weeks ago and refilled and the water level hasn't moved.

So I think I will re-try seasoning to see if it helps.

Any other thoughts or suggestions that I should try?

Thanks!!!!
Kurt

Interesting. I'm assuming you have the vents, or whatever those metal wing thingies are called, fully opened up. Do you have it attached to the inner side of the humidor lid, facing downward when the lid is closed, to allow gravity to wick away moisture from the reservoir? I don't recall those things working quite as well for me if I didn't have the vents facing downwards.

Mine have worked just fine.

1) Make sure to use distilled water only.
2) Make sure the vents are opened.
3) If it doesn't work, get a new one.

I believe there's a lifetime warranty on them.

Interesting. I'm assuming you have the vents, or whatever those metal wing thingies are called, fully opened up. Do you have it attached to the inner side of the humidor lid, facing downward when the lid is closed, to allow gravity to wick away moisture from the reservoir? I don't recall those things working quite as well for me if I didn't have the vents facing downwards.
Well for the first month I had it on the side of the humidor facing in towards the cigars. When I noticed it not working that well I attached it to the lid (like the directions say) and I am still having the same problem. It has been attached to the lid for weeks now and no change in the reservoir. The vent has been completely open from the start.

I heard these things are great but I don't know.

They are great. They work on such a simple principle, there's not too much that can go wrong with them. Heck, even if you were using pineapple juice, it would take a while to occlude and mold up the wick material. I'm stumped. Gonna think on this one. ???

So I took the beads out and within 24 hours the humidity has dropped from 65% to 59%. The reservior stil hasn't changed but I guess it wouldn't within 24 hours.

I ordered 2 seasoning kits and will try reseasoning when they come.

So I took the beads out and within 24 hours the humidity has dropped from 65% to 59%. The reservior stil hasn't changed but I guess it wouldn't within 24 hours.

I ordered 2 seasoning kits and will try reseasoning when they come.

Huh?

What are those?

Just put the smokes in a tupperware or bag - along with the beads.

Wipe the inside of the humi with a damp papertowel - use distilled water.
Put a small cup of distilled water in the humi for 24-36 hours - put a paper towel under it just in case!

Seasoned!

FIRST DO THIS:
As for the device, let it sit in there a day or so. Removing the beads may allow the device to now wic.

lol.... Seasoning kits are just easy :)

I plan on letting it sit to see if it will level out a bit.

Say lad,
Your part of the country is wicked DRY! There is almost no humidity in the air.
So....

1. Check the seal on your humidor. If it's not tight, it's the outside air that's taking the humidity from inside your humidor.

2. Put the beads back in and keep them moist. Moist equals clear beads. Stay on top of this and you will find the right combination of wetness to keep your humidity in the mid 60's.

Say lad,
Your part of the country is wicked DRY! There is almost no humidity in the air.
So....

1. Check the seal on your humidor. If it's not tight, it's the outside air that's taking the humidity from inside your humidor.

2. Put the beads back in and keep them moist. Moist equals clear beads. Stay on top of this and you will find the right combination of wetness to keep your humidity in the mid 60's.

What does 'the right combination of wetness' mean?

It means...

DC humidifier full and working.

Beads - More beads, less beads, 50% wet vs dry, beads all clear, ect....

Colorado springs is one LOW humidity place. When it snows, the snow is so dry it does not pack.

I keep the beads clear but it requires me recharging them about every 3 days.

And yes, Colorado Spings is very very dry.

So a little update:

I took the beads out and just left the DC humidifier. The humidity dropped to 58% and has sat there for 2 days now but hasn't went any lower. So I am not sure if the DC isn't working or just isn't working fast enough.

Who knows!