• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Diamond Crown Maximus

SamGuss

Last night after a wonderful steak dinner, I sat down, covered up in myblanket and prepared to watch The Apprentice. Melly was with me and she struck up an Ashton VSG Enchantment and I decided upon a Diamond Crown maximus Robusto.

I used a "V" cutter and torched the end. According to my hygrometer, it came out of a 69% environment and had been sitting there along withit's twin for a couple weeks now.

The look of this cigar was phenomonal. Firm in the hand with the type of sturdiness that I like my cigars to have. The draw was excellent as well, showing that this was a well rolled cigar.

The burn was also incredible - never wavering - almost a perfect burn. The ash was nice and thick, cooling down the smoke, which was volumnous as Ismoked it. The beginning of the cigar had a taste that reminded me of a VSG - though no where near as spicy or tastful, but still nice.

The construction of this cigar was nearly flawless and quite frankly was a major draw for me when I first saw these cigars. After seeing the burn, the ash, ect. I can say without a doubt one of the best constructed "domestic" cigars I have seen in awhile.

But unfortunately construction is not all the score in a cigar rview.

The cigar started off great - nice little hints of spices, almost a sungrwon taste which despite people telling me about I just didn't see it when looking at this cigar. Medium bodied as well and smooth. Where the regular line of DC's are smooth and creamy, this cigar was smooth and a hint of roughness in it - like it wanted to play the bad boy but was too shy. It was early in the cigar though so I thought for sure this cigar would blossom into that big bad boy and start kicking my butt with strength and power. It definately seemed to have the potential.

Half way through the cigar and again I am amazed at the flawless construction of this cigar - but it hasn't developed into anything past the start of it. No increase in strenght or body - no more subtle hints other than was already there. Indeed it stayed the same the whole way though the cigar - except the last 1/2 inch of it when I was nubbing it. THEN the power hit, then the STRENGTH hit, then the TASTE hit, then the BODY hit. But all an illusion - after all it wasnearly down to the end of the cigar - myself hanging onto it by just a couple fingers.

One place on the internet describes this cigar as: "This is a new bolder version of Diamond Crown cigars...called Maximus. The ring is a little smaller than the standard Diamond Crown, but the smaller gauge makes for a stronger smoke. The Diamond Crown Maximus has filler and binder from the Dominican Republic with a full-flavored Ecuadorian wrapper."

I have to say that this cigar is a little bolder than the original line. But it is not the powerhouse that I felt this cigar could of been. I enjoyed the smoke - it was tasty and smooth. While I wouldn't say it was a one-dimensional smoke, I can definately say it was consistant all the way through the cigar. Now sometimes this can be a good thing, but in this case, this cigar had such potential to develop and grown into something more, that it was dissappointing that it did not.

In the end, I have one more and I will smoke it for sure. But not after a steak dinner - maybe during an afternoon ride or out on the porch on the weekend talking to friends. Though this cigar should be that "special occassion" cigar, I found it to be better than an everyday smoke - but not better enough to elevate it beyond that.

Overall I give it an 86 - though the construction was superb and flawless, it is the tastes of a cigar that counts a little more in my book and the construction is simply not enough to elevate it any higher. On tastes alone I would only give it an 84 - still a good cigar - but only that, not a great cigar.

Thanks for reading.

Sam

This cigar is all hype!! I smoked a churchill not too long ago, and altough it was a good cigar, it wasn't worth the money. Just my .02.

I found the Maximus on of my all time favorite cigars, yeah they are a bit over priced, but so are the damn Opus cigars.

Well, it is a bit stronger that the regular line but the regular is mild to me.

These are wonderful morning cigars in my opinion. I think they may have a wonderful toasty, nutty sort of flavor, which I tend to like with coffee in the morning. I also agree with Sam on the construction, it's a beautiful stick and the band is also an eye-catcher!

These were hyped to be strong but no where as strong in comparison to VSG's, Opus, LFD Ligero, etc.

I try to keep a handful around for my morning ride though.

Nice review. :D

To each his own, but these cigars just do not live up to their billing, IMHO.

Leebo, starting out the day with a mild cigar is a concept that I understand, but ultimately, it is unfulfilling for me. I would just as soon (in fact, prefer) to start the day with an Antano. But then, my last taste bud died three weeks ago! :D

Take care, Bacchus

BACCHUS said:
To each his own, but these cigars just do not live up to their billing, IMHO.

Leebo, starting out the day with a mild cigar is a concept that I understand, but ultimately, it is unfulfilling for me. I would just as soon (in fact, prefer) to start the day with an Antano. But then, my last taste bud died three weeks ago! :D

Take care, Bacchus
I love Antanos!

Thanks for the GREAT review. I have a few of these sitting in my humidor just waiting to be tried out. The regular Diamond Crown I had was a bit too mild for my taste; but perhaps the Maximus will be another story. I don't need TOO full of a cigar; the Opus X I had was almost difficult to finish for me (but it still tasted so good I finished it anyway :) )

Great review Sam. I've still yet to try one of these but I think I'll remedy that tonight :)

cigah_smoka said:
This cigar is all hype!! I smoked a churchill not too long ago, and altough it was a good cigar, it wasn't worth the money. Just my .02.
Its because of things like this (and opusx) why I don't (or atleast why I try not to) spend alot of money for domestics. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, domestic cigars that are very good, or worth the money... But most are simply not. I like Opus X, but at those prices, I can get 2 BETTER isom puro's. :sneaky:

I've never had the DC-Maximus, I've heard ALOT about it, sounds like I didn't miss much. :) And this is why I try alot of $4-$6 cigars... I recently tried the Indepencia ($4.30 Belicoso), and it was excellent- especially considering the price. (oops, turning this into a thread jack)

GREAT REVIEW SAM!

:thumbs: Toaster

Thanks for the great review Sam. I've had regular Diamond Crowns but not the Maximus (heck, I didn't even know there was such a thing until Shuji asked about them).

Good to hear they are a little stronger than the regular Diamond Crowns.

They are nice smokes but pricey. More expensive than Opus X, I have smoked 2 of these and have another 3 in the Humi sleeping.

If I had to pick between Opus or Maximus, I would pick the Maximus, they have more flavor overall, Opus just seems simple in flavor not complex at all. IMPO

I have only had a cpl of the Diamond Crown line and I liked them alot. They are a bit pricey though.

Nice review...I tend to agree....

So how was the VSG?

:D :D

HYPE - Best thing about it was the Band....

Nice revue Sam, sums up my experience with this cigar to a tee. Whole line is just too mild for me.