• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Did I get screwed by B&M?

tolije

I picked up a couple of Opus X Power Rangers during my trip to Orlando. I have been reading here how good they were, so I did not think that the price was completely out of control ($20 each). I had not seen any Opus X any any other shops I have been to.

I have been reading this thread today. And was a bit concerned. I looked at the MSRP link and realized for the first time (yeah I am a real newbie)that I paid close to 2 1/2 times over MSRP.

I searched for online vendors that sold them and all listed prices above what I paid. Are there any sources that actually sell these anywhere close to MSRP?

Any authorized Fuente dealer should sell at msrp or damn close. There’s 4 shops around me that all sell at msrp or close.

If a shop is not selling at or atleast very near MSRP...they are probably not an authorized retailer. Or in the case of Casa Fuente...they gouge because they can (Vegas Baby! Vegas!).

If they are that much over MSRP ...it's likely that the store bought them near MSRP and are turning them over for $$$. Gotta love capitolism! (does that have an "a" or an "o"?)

Stick around...I'm sure some BOTL will have sales or trades for them at times. Also, I've paid too much for smokes before...mainly to try one out.

How'd you like the smoke?

Gentlemen, MSRP is not the end all or be all, each state and city have their own tax basis that is then added to the MSRP. In NYC that is 37% plus sales tax of 8.25%. So your price may vary by locality.

I have found that the B&M here in NJ that gets them in, the price is roughly $5.00 over what is listed in the MSRP thread and that is not including our 7% sales tax. For example, the Opus XXX Power Ranger has an MSRP of $8.75,the store here (which is a HUGE cigar store chain) charges $12.95 per Plus 7% for a total of $13.86 each.

Gentlemen, MSRP is not the end all or be all, each state and city have their own tax basis that is then added to the MSRP. In NYC that is 37% plus sales tax of 8.25%. So your price may vary by locality.

True what ment is 3$ difference from msrp is close or what in consider close. 20$ for a xXx is gouging.

Yes, there are state and city taxes, but considering he's from Clarksville, TN - a smallish city in a tobacco state with just a touch of tobacco tax, I'd say he overpaid. Out of curiousity, how much did you pay for them?

He picked these up in Orlando, FL, not Tenn. Still he overpaid, but I can't tell by how much since I don't now their tax basis or their sales tax.

I get mine online, of course, lol. PM'd you a good source IMO.

He picked these up in Orlando, FL, not Tenn. Still he overpaid, but I can't tell by how much since I don't now their tax basis or their sales tax.

Here's one tax source: linky oh - another for FLA

Agreed...MSRP is not a be-all...end-all...just a base.

True, but Florida has no tobacco tax... so he got hosed.

What vendor was this in Orlando so I know to stay away from them when I'm driving through?

I have a local B&M that gets Opies in four or five times a year. They limit quantities to two of each vitola, per customer, per day, and sell for MSRP plus the Oregon taxes. No gouging at all....

Regards - B.B.S.

Thanks for all the replies. Now I know that I got ripped off on the Opus X. But this store had a very good selection of many super premium smokes (PAM, PAN,La Aurora, RP Vintage, 1990 and 1992, pretty much any AF you want, etc) that I have purchased elsewhere. Most did not seem that much higher than most shops I have visited. But I do travel a lot and usually end up in a fairly large city with fancy B&Ms.

They did not have a very good selection of Opus at all and the xXx was actually the cheapest. They had 2 that were in glass tubes (I am not familiar enough with the line to know which). One was $35 the other $55.

The B&M is a great place to visit Both locations. Very unique, especially the newest. I guess you should not plan to buy anything - at least not Opus X there.

Brick - thanks much. I know where to buy my Opus X from now on.

Yeah, Corona is a real nice place to sit and have a smoke, but they don't mind gouging for the Opus stuff.

Last time I was in there they had some Casa Fuentes though. I suppose they were cheaper than flying to Vegas to pick some up, but I couldn't bring myself to buy them.

Very true. We have a 47.5% tobacco tax in California, and it may be going up very soon. I've never bought a box of cigars in Calif. I order from out of state. If I buy anything here, it's singles.