• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Difference in RH% in humidors from top to bottom?

Dsav101

Women it seems are the antichrist.
Just a quick question for you gurus. My humidor has two readings that while are in the range they are different. I am using 8 ounces of heartfelt beads 70% split up between three levels in my humidor. The top reads out a consistent 69% but the bottom area only is reading at 63%. It was fully seasoned for 4 days. The bottom has the biggest area so I have a 4 ounce tube in there, and the two shelves each have a 2 ounce tube. Just curious as to the % swings in different humidors. BTW, this is the humidor I am currently using:

http://tampahumidor.com/sd4/product/salerno-3125.cfm

Thanks for the input people!!!

Edit: to add more info.

Thanks man. I really do enjoy it. Just wish it held 3k cigars instead of 300.

Just a quick question for you gurus. My humidor has two readings that while are in the range they are different. I am using 8 ounces of heartfelt beads 70% split up between three levels in my humidor. The top reads out a consistent 69% but the bottom area only is reading at 63%. It was fully seasoned for 4 days. The bottom has the biggest area so I have a 4 ounce tube in there, and the two shelves each have a 2 ounce tube. Just curious as to the % swings in different humidors. BTW, this is the humidor I am currently using:

http://tampahumidor.com/sd4/product/salerno-3125.cfm

Thanks for the input people!!!

Edit: to add more info.

If it has three hygrometers it is highly possible the hygrometers are off by that amount.

Probably need to salt test your hygro's to make sure the one giving the bad reading isn't off.

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I switch the digital prometheus hygro from top to bottom ever two days or so just to keep a check till I get another hygro. So it has already been salt tested (2% higher reading) and it is the same hygro that gives the diff readings. Thanks!

I've got a four level humi, and I keep only one digi hygro in the top (reading approx 67F and 65 - 68% RH) and my Heartfelt 65% tube is in the very bottom. I'm thinking this is going to be the temp/RH throughout (RH may be a little higher in the bottom, which should be fine). I tend to think the temp/RH is going to be basically the same throughout with the numerous "vents" in each level. Anyone else have any eperience with different temp/RH readings in the different levels of the humi?

Since you are measuring the humidity on different levels with the same hygrometer there is no way for you to verify a difference. Measuring the top on Monday and then the bottom on Wednesday and the middle on Friday gives you a ball park reading for all three levels but does not compare one to the other. You would have to measure each level at the same time.

How do your cigars smoke? Thats really what you need to pay attention to. Don't get to caught up with having to "dail in" the humidity. 63 to 69 is fine and if your cigars are smoking good you have no worries.

How do your cigars smoke? Thats really what you need to pay attention to. Don't get to caught up with having to "dail in" the humidity. 63 to 69 is fine and if your cigars are smoking good you have no worries.
No kidding. If your smokes are smoking good, you shouldn't freak out about a point or two "difference" in height. My cabinet is 6' tall and I know there is a slight variation in the top vs. the bottom of the cabinet. My smokes are in fine shape; the in cabinet hygro reads 65% but based on some small hygros I have around the cabinet I know it runs 63-68% through the cabinet. It's just not a big deal..... :cool:

FWIW - B.B.S.

Thanks good people. However, I am fine with the difference as you guys say since they smoke just fine to me. My main purpose in posting this question was just to see what normal variances there were and why the bottom would be lower reading than the top. :) I could understand a swing of a few % over 2 days or so, but 6-7% is a little much to change just because of diff days? It was more of a wondering question than a concern.Also, why would the bottom be lower than the top? Just thinking normal wouldn't the bottom read higher since I would imagine denser air would circulate down? Thanks again!

The readings you're getting are normal. Since you have a humidor, I assume you open it at least once a week. Therefore there's really not enough time for the humidity in your humidor to COMPLETELY equilibrate. Also, it is a humidor so the system isn't completely air tight, which means small amounts of air transfer occur. Taking all this into account, humidity gradients are to be expected in your humidor. The most obvious gradient would be that which you've identified; higher humidity at the top and lower at the bottom. It would be the most obvious because humid air is actually less dense than dry air.

But rest assured, given enough time and an air-tight seal, your hygrometers would read the same.

Try adding an Oust fan in there to get some air movement. That should help even out the humidity.

Just a couple of quick points. The first one being entirely my opinion:

It could be that your humidor is not as well seasoned as you think it is. I don't think four days is adequate "fully seasoned" time. However, I suppose that is dependent upon your seasoning method. I prefer to use the time consuming passive method of leaving an open dish of distilled water inside the humidor for about two weeks (or even longer) before introducing cigars into it. It does take a (relatively) long time, but I prefer to allow the cedar to naturally soak up the humidity from the dish.

That being said, a steady 6% RH variance does seem a bit excessive in the top to bottom readings of a 300 count humidor. I'd take heed of the well stated quote directly below this post, and possibly consider the action suggested in the quote below that.

The readings you're getting are normal............... It would be the most obvious because humid air is actually less dense than dry air.

Try adding an Oust fan in there to get some air movement. That should help even out the humidity.

My desktop humidors seem to keep within 1% top to bottom. My small cabinet has about 3% variation with higher %RH at the bottom, using two trays of 65% beads with one at the top and one at the bottom and an Oust fan for improved circulation. No big deal for me as the sticks have all smoked fine.

Cheers,
antaean

I would agree with adding a fan and that you have not fully seasoned your humi. Also, how full (or empty) is the humidor? Do you even spread out the inventory or is it all or most on one tray?

Order more! "Honey, the only option is to buy more cigars to full protect the investment I already have. The cigars will be ruined if I can't get this to stabilze!"

My wife fell for this. . . LOL :cool:

I would agree with adding a fan and that you have not fully seasoned your humi. Also, how full (or empty) is the humidor? Do you even spread out the inventory or is it all or most on one tray?

Order more! "Honey, the only option is to buy more cigars to full protect the investment I already have. The cigars will be ruined if I can't get this to stabilze!"

My wife fell for this. . . LOL :cool:

It was about a quarter full with those issues, and now it is completely full. :) Haven't tried to measure top to bottom in a while now though. It was more intellectual curiosity than any worrying about the sticks. :)

You might want to try moving some of the beads a bit lower.

Also, no one mentioned it but a 4 day seasoning is not that long, maybe some of the wood on the bottom is soaking up some humidity?

It was wiped with a slightly dampened sponge for the first 3 days along with a bowl of distilled water......Left it for another 24 and then 48 hours without the bowl and just the 8 ounces of beads and it was fine...... :) Have 4 oz on the bottom, and then 2 oz in the middle and 2 oz on top shelf. So that wasn't it either...... Everything is kosher. I am not worrying bout the smokes, it was just a question on RH differences between top and bottom of a humi that is semi-sized. That is all. :)