• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Digital Camera

Wascal

Captive of the Dark Side
I'm finally going to buy a digital camera and have narrowed the choice so far to Fuji FinePix S5000. Now the question is does anyone have any experience with this camera ? Have a better camera to suggest ?

3.1 meg
10x opt
2.2 dig
revue

Thanks in advance,

Mike

What are you paying for it?

A good buddy of mine just picked up a NICE camera at *well* below retail, and it's a beauty. I'd be glad to get his source and the specs on the camera if your price range meets that. I think he paid around $300 for it, IIRC.

I won't see him till Monday though.

Wascal,

I'm still kind of an SLR guy, but my wife bought herself a digital, and lately I have begun to prefer using her digital, since it is so easy to upload pics, etc., especially when I am on the road. She bought herself a Kodak. The lesson we learned about the Kodak, is that the particular model we purchased did not have a world voltage converter on its recharger, only 110, and not 110/220. This caused havoc on a business/pleasure trip we made to SE Asia, as we had to go out and buy extra batteries since we could not recharge our own.

We also found that we needed accesory lenses. One of the accessory lenses actually covers part of the viewfinder, so one has to guess where the rest of the picture is when shooting. :( The autofocus on the zoom was not fast enough on this camera, which also resulted in some blurry pics.

My suggestion is not to cheat yourself with your initial purchase due to price, like we did. Find one that has all the features that you would want, and then you won't regret it later.

I'll be getting a better one for myself soon.

Regards,

4A

I have the Fuji 3800 and haven't had any problems with it.

Shuji said:

A good buddy of mine just picked up a NICE camera at *well* below retail, and it's a beauty. I'd be glad to get his source and the specs on the camera if your price range meets that. I think he paid around $300 for it, IIRC.

Price is 297.00 before shipping.

Wascal said:
Shuji said:

Price is 297.00 before shipping.
I'll find out about his camera as soon as I see him. It's a Minolta, and I think it's a 5MP camera.

I use a digital camera a LOT. I run and maintain 2 pitbull websites and take all my own pictures. I have a 3.1 MP sony and it is nice but I wish I would have waited and got the new 5 MP camera. Depends on what you are taking pictures of. The more MP the better.

dixieland_conjunction said:
I STRONGLY reccomend the Olympus 3040 or 4040.

Cheers,
Dixie
Thanks for the recomendation CC, but at 489.00 for a 3.3 meg 3040 I'll pass.

I'm going to order that one. It is a great deal, and it's 5MP. I like the docking station it comes with as well, can't beat this one. :)

Depends on what you are doing with it as to what to recommend. Anything over 3 mp is overkill if you are sacraficing zoom, options, etc. since you won't notice the difference in most consumer applications.

Also the more options usually the more complicated menu. I use a Coolpix 4500 which cost me $550 about 8 months ago. My business bought it because it is known for super close shot capabilities (3/4") which was nice and capabilities for beneficial to astrophotography. BUT it also is very difficult to learn the advanced menu features of which I am still working on.

My suggestion is to figure out your application and go to a smaller photo shop to get the personal assistance in choosing your first camera. If you don't, you may end up paying more for more features than you might need.

I got a Canon Powershot G2 last year and love it. I think they are up to G4's or 5's now.

I asked for a Digicam for Xmas and my mom came through. She subscribes to COnsumer REports, the single best product rating magazine out there, and she did her homework.

The only camera rated a best buy is the Fuji Finepix A303 which is a 3.2 MP camera. That's what she bought me and I could not be more pleased. IF you want to see an example of the pics it gets check out my thread about the tar on an Anejo I smoked. Those pics are the middle 10% of a pic I took in mecro mode. You can see every fold in the tobacco. Simply amazing.

If you're not a subsriber, go to your local library and check out the article. This is a must to learn more about digicams.

Rod said:
I'm going to order that one. It is a great deal, and it's 5MP. I like the docking station it comes with as well, can't beat this one. :)
I had to go back and look, the docking station is extra at 72.00, still a good deal.

Digital Camera's are like Opinions. . . everyone has one, and has strong reasons for the one they have.

I currently own three digital camera's, and I love each one of them for different reasons.

My wife's camera is a Canon PowerShot S300. It is a 2.1 Mega Pixel camera, and is not any bigger than a pack of cigarettes. It takes GREAT pictures and is very easy to use. It has a 3.5 Optical Zoom, with a 4.0 Digital Zoom. Even though it is a 2.1 Mega Pixel camera, I have enlarged to 8x10 with great clarity when a take pictures in the super fine mode.

My everyday Digital is a Canon PowerShot S230. It is a 3.2 mega pixel iwas a 2x optical Zoom and a 3.2 Digital Zoom. I have enlarged to 13 x 19 in the super fine mode, with EXCELLENT resolution at Absolute Photo Quality.

Of course, I have a Canon S9000 printer which is called by everyone a "photo lab in a box". It allows me to print at sizes up to 13 x 19 inches with EXCELLENT RESULTS! It will also print at 4 x 6 dimensions great too.

Both of these cameras are the "Digital Elph" camera's. . . and I have a printer that will print at 4x6 mode, or postcard mode DIRECTLY from the camera. This is GREAT and works really well.

My last digital camera is a Minolta DiMage 7i, and it shots at 5.0 Mega pixels. It has a 7x optical zoom, with a digital zoom added, but I don't remember the length. This is a "Medium Format" camera and takes EXCELLENT pictures in a SLR format that makes it easy to adjust any setting just like you would a SLR camera. This camera also has macro capability, and more modes and settings than you can imagine.

These cameras range in price from $200 to $800. They all do GREAT and I love each one of them. My favorite is the PowerShot S230 simply because I can put it in my front pants pocket, and have it with me whenever I need it.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your endevours, and WELCOME to the digital world!

HAPPY SMOKES TOO! ! !

STEVE

My wife is a jewelry designer and uses the Nikon 4500. For incredible closeups it is superb. Any other use and you have a learning curve.

This Kodak seems excellent. I am going to check it out.

The more I read about digital cameras the less I find I know. The Fuji s5000 I posted about list the pixels at 3.1 but says it can record the image at 6.0. Can someone explain this to me?