• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Digital Hygrometer

Seems foolish to not invest $15 to keep an eye on what will no doubt be hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of cigars.

Maggs44 said:
Ok, I have the cooler, the climmax beads on the way. From what I have read here, beads and a cooler is almost foolproof. Is a digital hygrometer needed?

I think this looks like a good one. Thoughts?

Caliber II digital hygrometer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Bought the same one from E-Bay and sent it back to the company......TWICE!!!
Been working fine for about 1 week.....let's see.
Go to Radio Shack and get their digital hygrometer, works better than the Caliber II imo. :)

I will second the radio shaCK model. Mine runs 1% under salt test!

Well I have found that since the beads are darn near foolproof, you can get by with just about any ole hygrometer. The beads will keep it right on BUT if they become saturated, you see the hygro spike up and if they need water, you'll see it spike down.

Again, I really don't see a need for super-accurate hygros when using beads.

I use the mechanical ones that Vern sells with his beads and they work perfectly. He usualy provides a calibration kit with them ;)

coventrycat86 said:
Again, I really don't see a need for super-accurate hygros when using beads.
Sure is nice for us anal retentive types :0 to look up at the Radio Shack receiveing unit and know at a glance how the coolerdors are doing. :thumbs:

I like to use them. Makes for a quick and easy way to check RH though with coolers and climmax it's usually not a big concern.

I have the Calibre II. When I take my cigar(s) for the day out I give it a look. Seems to work just fine for the year I've had it.

gkpk said:
Go to Radio Shack and get their digital hygrometer, works better than the Caliber II imo. :)
Thanks for the ideas. Think I will go to Radio Shack. I like buying local, can take it back if something goes wrong.

I have a round hygro, did the salt test, but I took the velcro off to set it, so now it just lays in my humi and every time I move it, the thing goes up a coule %.

Is this one the one you guys are talking about from Radio Shack? Its not in stock locally, but they do ship free if you order it in store and get it shipped there. I am looking to pick up a new one, and if this one works well then I will order it! Thanks
Bryan :thumbs:

Yes. Keep your receipt, do the salt test ASAP and return it if it is way off but it probably will be close.

Surprised it isn't in the store. Maybe check another town. It is everywhere in my area.

Wholeheartedly endorse the Radio Shack model. Do it. I use it as a cross reference in my Stewart Beckwith with my set-n-forget active humidification. Piece of mind for a very small price.

Heads up guys, this hygrometer can be tricky so pay attention. Mine was "stuck" at 60 percent so I kept adding water over 2-3 days with no results.

Needless to say make sure you are reading the current reading and not memory :(

Figured that out and needless to say the humidty was VERY high. A hair dryer brought her back down but it was so high that it was almost raining in there :p

Good product though....just watch out!

Wascal said:
Look at this one if you have more than one humi.

The Shack
I second this model. I have a remote in each coolidor and the base unit on my desk. No need to open to coolidor to check on them :)

Radio shack as a coupon you can print from the website for 50% off.

The R/S hygrometer with coupon for instore purchase is $9.99 + tax (reg $19.99)

Radio Shack Hygrometer

Offer valid 07/01/04 to 07/28/04

I picked up 2 of the Radio Shack hygrometers for $19.99 with the coupon.

They both read 74% on the salt test. :thumbs: