• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Disappointed in my first "Edge"

Dan66

Actually it was an Edge Light...

I picked it up a short time ago at my local B&M and got around to smoking it a night ago. The ones on the top of the open box had some obvious flaws. Minor maybe; but visible nonetheless. Some large viens and such, so I dug down a level or two and chose the one I wanted. It looked superb. But once I clipped it, there were two stems looking me right in the mouth. Couldn't pull them out because they went deep into the tight wrap.

The taste of the smoke was nice. I would want to enjoy one again based on that. But because of these couple of stems, it began to un-wrap on me. Not as badly as a dried-out cigar would have; but enough to pretty much ruin the 1.5 hour experience. Felt like a couple broom straws against my tongue with each draw.

Anyone else ever experienced such a thing from a well-respected cigar? It was my first disappointment from anything in the Rocky Patel line...

Man these cigars aren't gaining any fans. Thanks for the info guys.

I picked it up a short time ago at my local B&M and got around to smoking it a night ago. The ones on the top of the open box had some obvious flaws. Minor maybe; but visible nonetheless. Some large viens and such, so I dug down a level or two and chose the one I wanted. It looked superb. But once I clipped it, there were two stems looking me right in the mouth. Couldn't pull them out because they went deep into the tight wrap.

The taste of the smoke was nice. I would want to enjoy one again based on that. But because of these couple of stems, it began to un-wrap on me. Not as badly as a dried-out cigar would have; but enough to pretty much ruin the 1.5 hour experience. Felt like a couple broom straws against my tongue with each draw.

Anyone else ever experienced such a thing from a well-respected cigar? It was my first disappointment from anything in the Rocky Patel line...

Sorry to hear about your experience. But I usually will not make a final assesment on any cigar until smoking at least 3 of them.

Rocky is known for putting out lots of good cigars. It is likely that a someone who puts out as many cigars as Rocky does is going to have the occassional clunker. You just may have had a bad cigar.

Give it another shot. :)

Had an edge, hated it, had an edge light still hated it. My buddy finally convinced me to grab an Edge Maduro, now that was a pretty damn tasty stick. Might wanna give one a try. Not nearly as harsh.

Sorry to hear about that. I had an Edge lite maduro last month, straight out of the shop, and it was one of the best sticks i've smoked. If I ever get more cigar budget free, i'll probably try a box splitt later.

See, that's the deal... I'm such a RP fan. Love the Vintage Series and even the mild Connecticut line. (Haven't ponied up for a Old World Reserve yet, but plan to.) That's why I felt compelled to post. I was truly surprised at the poor quality of the leaves. But let me stress - the taste was good. Really good. Nice slow burn; and a couple inches of ash would accumulate without falling. (I s'pose that could be due to the inner support of the stems!)

I'm sure I won't write off the Edge after this one bad experience. I look forward to trying a maduro...

See, that's the deal... I'm such a RP fan. Love the Vintage Series and even the mild Connecticut line. (Haven't ponied up for a Old World Reserve yet, but plan to.) That's why I felt compelled to post. I was truly surprised at the poor quality of the leaves. But let me stress - the taste was good. Really good. Nice slow burn; and a couple inches of ash would accumulate without falling. (I s'pose that could be due to the inner support of the stems!)

I'm sure I won't write off the Edge after this one bad experience. I look forward to trying a maduro...

Well with even the best quality control 1 otta so many is going to be a dog rocket. I just really sucks when you’re that one. I’d give it another go perhaps from a different source.

I have had both the Edge and the Edge Maduro. Liked the Edge and LOVED the Maduro. I have never had the Edge Lite.

I too would not give up on a cigar based on just one tasting unless it was just filthy nasty.

As for the flaws on the top level . . . they may have been mishandled by other customers trying to dig underneath to better looking cigars :whistling: or they have not been stored properly.

I have never had a bad Edge Maduro or Edge Maduro Missle. Give the Edge Lite another try you may hae a different opinion the next time.

I smoked the torpedo size, natural wrapper... I was expecting to toss the thing an inch or two in... I almost nubbed the things, it was great... maybe I got a oneoff fluke edge.

I smoked the torpedo size, natural wrapper... I was expecting to toss the thing an inch or two in... I almost nubbed the things, it was great... maybe I got a oneoff fluke edge.

I've smoked the Edge and the Maduro Edge multiple times... I've hated them everytime. They looks so damn tasty but I can't help it. I hate the Edge!!

Nick

I think you have to give the edge torpedo a few months to help the flavors round out. I think. I bought two and smoked the first one fresh..it was not good.Tight draw, med. strength,little flavor. Smoked the second one a couple of months later and it was COMPLETELY different. Full bodied,with a very strong spicy, cedary flavor which got very smooth midway in.

I have liked all the Edges except the Missile, they were all harsh!

Edit for spelling :blush:

I think you have to give the edge torpedo a few months to help the flavors round out. I think. I bought two and smoked the first one fresh..it was not good.Tight draw, med. strength,little flavor. Smoked the second one a couple of months later and it was COMPLETELY different. Full bodied,with a very strong spicy, cedary flavor which got very smooth midway in.

Either that or... they aren't very consistent.

I bought a few earlier this year based on a recommendation from a couple guys. However, after one, I knew they weren't for me. I did try a second just to make sure and it was the same. I wouldn't characterize them as bad smokes, just nothing special or anything that comes close to the kind of smoke that I enjoy.

I picked it up a short time ago at my local B&M and got around to smoking it a night ago.

I would give it some time in the humi before giving it another try :)