• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Disappointed...Plugged Anejo!

redraider

Whoa Thats Cold
We actually have a beuatiful day here in Houston..after a little rain and a great morning of water skiing on lake Conroe, it is nice and cool and a perfect time for a great cigar. I pulled out an '06 Anejo #49 that I have been waiting to smoke. The DAMN THING IS PLUGGED. I have almost turned blue trying to smoke the bastard. I recut it, and even tried cutting the foot to no avail. I finally threw it out and grabbed a VSG. Damn, I am pissed. Anejos are my absolute favorite!! At least the VSG was good. You guys ever have a smoke you where looking forward to that was plugged? Lets hear it!!

DE

Have had that happen a bunch of times with some #46's from last Christmas release. Probably 3 or 4 times so far this year. I really need a draw tool or something to help with these situations. I haven't had much luck with toothpicks etc...in fixing tight draws/plugs.

I'm sure all of them are plugged, send me the rest of them and I'll let you know how they are.

Yeah...and if you knew what it was, you will think that an Anejo #49 plugged is very trivial. :(

Man, sorry to hear that stogie was plugged, must have been a real pisser.

Whenever I have one like that I use a wooden skewer (the ones you use for kabobs) and punch it, has worked everytime and they come 20 to a package and are cheaper than buying one of those pokers.

Try it next time, hope it works for you.

I have tried punches before to correct the draw...Never really seems to work right for me. The problem with a plugged cigar is TOO much tobacco tightly packed. It seems like all of the pokers just move the tobacco to the side, and the cigar starts burning hot or with an uneven burn. And unfortunately on a long cigar like the #49 it is really tough to get it unpacked...I have smoked quite a few Anejos and this was the first one I have had plugged.

I have tried punches before to correct the draw...Never really seems to work right for me. The problem with a plugged cigar is TOO much tobacco tightly packed. It seems like all of the pokers just move the tobacco to the side, and the cigar starts burning hot or with an uneven burn. And unfortunately on a long cigar like the #49 it is really tough to get it unpacked...I have smoked quite a few Anejos and this was the first one I have had plugged.

The chisel tip on Henry's tool cuts a hole right trough the plug, it might take more than one hole on a thick ring gauge, but I haven't had a plugged cigar beat me yet since receiving the tools from my Secret Santa a year ago.

You however do need to go slow and practice on cigars that you won't mind trashing if you screw up. For the first month I used it on every yard gar I smoked whether they needed it or not. Now I wouldn't hesitate to fix a old Cuban dunhill if I was given a plugged one.

Look at it this way, you are going to throw a plugged cigar away regardless, so you might as well try to fix it before you do.

I guess that I've been lucky. Never had a plugged Anejo and I have smoked a lot of them :D

Look at it this way, you are going to throw a plugged cigar away regardless, so you might as well try to fix it before you do.

Great point...

Too bad the Henry tools are not available anymore. I was just about to get a set when I read that he stopped making them. :(

Too bad the Henry tools are not available anymore. I was just about to get a set when I read that he stopped making them. :(

Where did you read that Marcos? Henry is way up in years so I knew it couldn't last forever, but damn.

THANKS SECRET SANTA WHOEVER YOU ARE!!

I had the same bad luck with plugged Lusi.
The stick was so plugged I couldn't even light it.
I tried poking it and cut it but that didn't help,so I finally throw it a way. :(

I *ALWAYS* dry box anejos, up to a day. They are crazy about retaining moisture. I also don't bother smoking them outside if its humid.

Even rolling the head of the cigar sometimes works for me.

I had a Gurkha Beauty yesterday and I had been staring for the longest time. It had a horrible draw and I didn't have any tools to fix it with. I just threw it in the lake.

As other's have said a metal skewer, in my last 10 plus years of cigar smoking I have been lucky enough to only come across 6-8 plugged cigars. I can remember the biggest disappointment was a plugged A.F. Between the Lines, I had been aging it for 2 years and was in my truck with no skewer. I had to run inside the truckstop and get a couple of toothpicks to open it up but it never did seem to burn right, oh well I guess you can't always win :rolleyes:

I come across an occasional plugged cigar, it's a hassle but I can almost always save the cigar. Earlier in my smoking "career" that wasn't the case but now I am much better at being able to tell why it's plugged and know how to fix it.

The problem with a plugged cigar is TOO much tobacco tightly packed.

I think that is actually rarely the problem. 90% of the plugs I have experienced are because there was a stem/obnoxiously large vein that made it into the cigar or because of excess humidity. The other 10% were just rolled poorly, leaves not positioned properly and the proper care just wasn't taken during the roll, never too much tobacco in the cigar.

I light my plugged cigars on fire. Eventually, the problem turns to ash.